• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

College student with sword kills burglary suspect

gluestick

TMF Expert
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090915/ap_on_re_us/us_samurai_sword_death

BALTIMORE – A Johns Hopkins University student armed with a samurai sword killed a suspected burglar in a garage behind his off-campus home early Tuesday, hours after someone broke in and stole electronics.

Some shocked neighbors said they heard bloodcurdling screams in an area just blocks from the university. Police held the student, a junior chemistry major who turns 21 on Sunday, for several hours, but he was not charged with any crimes Tuesday, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

Around 1:20 a.m., the student heard noises behind the home and noticed a door to the garage was open, Guglielmi said. He grabbed the sword and confronted the intruder — identified by police as Donald D. Rice, 49, a habitual offender who had just been released from jail.

Rice was crouching beneath a counter, police said. The student asked him what he was doing and threatened to call police.

"When he said that, the suspect lunged at him, kind of forced the kid against the wall, and he struck him with the sword," Guglielmi said.

Rice's left hand was nearly severed — Guglielmi described it as "hanging on by a thread" — and he suffered a severe cut to the upper body. He died at the scene.

On Monday, two laptops and a Sony PlayStation were stolen from the student's home, which he shares with three other students, but police were not sure whether Rice was responsible, Guglielmi said.

There was a pool of blood Tuesday morning in the brick courtyard between the back porch of the home and the garage. The courtyard was strewn with debris, including what looked like broken glass.

Guglielmi did not know why the student kept a sword. He said he may have had some martial arts training, but was not an expert.

Rice's criminal history includes more than two dozen arrests for burglary, breaking and entering and auto theft. According to court records, he was charged in 2007 after he pulled a gun on a police officer, though prosecutors placed those charges on hold because the officer was on military leave.

Rice was convicted in 2008 of unauthorized removal of property and sentenced to 18 months. He was released Saturday from the Baltimore County Detention Center.

Several nearby residents said the community has experienced a rash of petty crimes in recent months, including home, garage and vehicle break-ins. Many homes have bars on windows and stickers advertising alarm systems.

Michael Hughes, 43, said he was getting ready for bed when he heard the screams.

"There was fear in the voice. I could tell someone was scared," Hughes said.

Hughes called 911, and several police cars arrived while he was on the phone. Campus security officers and an off-duty city officer who were in the area responding to a suspicious person report also heard the screams.

The diverse neighborhood includes a mix of students, professors and families, said Hughes, who lives with his wife and young children and works for the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, which is on another campus across town.

"There seems to be a noticeable increase in crime in the neighborhood," Hughes said. "I am concerned for my family's safety."

Kenny Eaton, 20, a junior political science major at Hopkins who lives nearby, said there was some tension between students and lower-income residents of nearby communities. The private Johns Hopkins is known for its health and science research and has about 4,600 undergraduates on its main campus.

"You take kids who are paying $50,000 a year (in tuition) and then put them out in a very dangerous city environment, it's almost like a clash of civilizations," he said.

Three young men, including one in a Hopkins T-shirt, were sitting on the front porch of the home Tuesday morning. A police officer was standing in the doorway, and a single police car was parked nearby. The men refused to talk to an Associated Press reporter.

Susan Boswell, the dean of student life at Hopkins, said in a statement that she was "relieved to report that the student was not harmed," but she also advised other students not to follow the swordsman's example.

"If you ever suspect that there is a prowler in your residence or on your property, call 911 immediately," Boswell said. "Experts advise that you do not attempt to confront the intruder, but rather secure yourself in a locked area until police arrive."

Guglielmi said police would consult with prosecutors about whether to file charges against the student. As in most states, self-defense in Maryland is defined by common law rather than by statute. People who confront intruders inside their homes have a greater degree of latitude to use force, and prosecutors consider whether to file charges in such incidents on a case-by-case basis.

"One can genuinely and reasonably be in fear of one's own safety even if the burglar is unarmed," said Andrew D. Levy, a Baltimore defense attorney and an adjunct professor at the University of Maryland School of Law. "But nonetheless, it would be something that a good prosecutor would consider."

Bravo to the student. Probably not the wisest course of action as far as the authorities are concerned but he obviously refused to be a victim if he could help it. Saved a few tax payer dollars in the process as well.

The kid still killed someone, luckily for him it was in the states. Over here in the Uk he'd still go to prison for murder for owning the sword.

Well done. Who says all college kids are pussies? :)

Potential solution to the crime problem: not less guns, more guns. And give them to the right people.

Yeah, I find it hard to loose any sleep over a repeat offender getting killed while committing yet another robbery.

Congratulations to the student. Force is the appropriate response when finding an intruder on your premises who lunges at you or threatens you. :D

Yeah, they've been talking about this a lot on local radio over here. My view on it is pretty simple. If someone enters my home/adjacent property in the middle of the night (or any time, for that matter), and lunges at me when confronted (according to reports), I have every right to defend myself. I don't care if it's a samurai sword, gun, or a fucking rock. Dude is going down. This particular idiot had just gotten out of jail, and had 29 previous convictions on his record. Twenty-fucking-nine. He deserved what he got for being an epic moron. I hope the kid that owns the sword doesn't end up facing any charges. He was only protecting himself, from what it sounds like.

There was a famous story in the town I used to live in CT back in the 1980s. A wealthy video arcade owner, who was one of the most prominent men in town, shot and killed an intruder who had broken into his mansion. The arcade guy confronted the burglar in his pool area early in the morning. The burglar was told to lie down on the floor, while the guy who owned the house called the cops, and the crook refused, and lunged at the homeowner, at which time the homeowner fired his gun, killing the crook. No charges were filed, and everyone thought the home owner a hero.

Kudos to the college student who stood up for himself. Maybe not wise, but certainly gutsy. Good riddance to the bad guy who was killed.

Mitch

The kid still killed someone, luckily for him it was in the states. Over here in the Uk he'd still go to prison for murder for owning the sword.

Yeah, but he killed someone in self-defense. If you go to jail for that in the U.K., that's pretty fucked.

That's not right at all...

blood is gonna be a bitch to get out of brick! I bet a lot of you thought i was gonna say he shouldn't have killed the guy. :p

My pacifistic nature detests violence of any kind against a human being...

...But I am also Japanese so I have to say "FUCK YEAH!"

Why would anybody attack a guy with a sword? If I was robbing somebody, and somebody confronted me with a sword, I'd drop the loot, cry for mercy, and get out of there as fast as possible.

That's why I keep a pair of sai next to my bed....I also sleep in just tube socks and have hardwood floors. You try and rob me and you'll see my naked ass gliding towards you with my sai in full attack mode....fuck ya

This is pretty much what would happen if anybody was ever stupid enough to try and break into my apartment with me in it.

though they would probably have multiple stab wounds from a Freddy glove and a stun gun shoved up their ass.

A friend of mine kept going on and on about this last night. He left out the parts about self defense though, made it sound like a cold blood thing. I think his words were "That's mad baller!" or something to that extent.

If I was in this situation I would probably have done much the same thing. I actually do own a number of swords and know how to use the rapier. At my bed I actually have at least two long daggers. If I heard some one in or outside my house my first impulse would to grab one of those or a sharp knife from the kitchen. Frankly if I feel threatened I will do what I have to to keep myself and my family safe. However I would have called the cops before I ever confronted the person. It would be a last resort for me but don't think I can't and won't defend myself I just hope I never have to.

Good for this kid! Srsly, I would have done the same shit, no one fucks with my stuff.. or breaks into my house.

if someone posed a threat to me and was on my property then hell yeah I would defend my family/myself to every extent

I would have called the cops since he wasn't in the house and didn't pose an immediate threat to me. However, once confronting him and having him lunge at me, I'd definately defend myself...with deadly force if necessary. If someone breaks into our home and they're armed, there isn't time for questions. I'd shoot to kill. They could take all they want. But, once they pose a threat to us, they're done.

What's New

4/27/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the webs largest clip store! Get details by clicking the C4S banners
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back