• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Depression Is A Horrible Disease

TicklishBlackGuy

1st Level Yellow Feather
ya know, after hearing bout Robin Williams, hearing bout his depression and such, it makes me think of my own depression and the battle us with depression face. Its a never ending battle, trying not be sad when you are, trying to be happy when your not, even treatment doesn't make it go away completely. No matter what, we fight this battle every day. Doesn't matter how rich ya are, the wife you have, or anything. It affects decision making sometimes and who we act towards people. So to those fighting this battle with me, Robin went through it too but watching his movies if there is anything I can take from him is this. I've always one to make others happy, and he did just that, he was more then just an actor and a comedian, but he struggled with us through this even trying to get help. so don't give up out there, we are not alone, we work through this together because only we can understand each other. that's all

I don't suffer from depression but my Mom does. She's doing pretty good now but she avoided getting medication for a long time because of the social stigma. The idea that if you need medication to deal with life that you're weak. People don't understand that it's not just someone being happy or sad based on the events in their life, it's an actual biological disorder that can make you sad regardless of the events in your life. Lets face it, peer pressure isn't as big a deal once you get out of high school but it does run over into adulthood to point. Too many people with this disorder are not getting the help they need because they're scared of admitting they have the disorder in the first place. We really need to work on public awareness so that there's a better understanding of this disease.

Thank you JamMan43, for starting a thread discussing the topic of depression and the potential for it to lead to suicidal thoughts, and even completed suicide, when left untreated. I agree that in the wake of Robin Williams death I too have been more mindful of this disease and having a strong reaction emotionally to it. It just hits so close to home for me.

Much like the personality of Robin Williams, my own father (who is now deceased), my brothers, and I have always utilized cracking jokes and laughing to mask pain, fear and deep sadness. Humor is like a drug to us and runs in my family.

When we get together everyone is a comedian. But it isn’t funny because on the surface there are huge Italian gatherings full of awesome food, much laughter and what appears to be lots of love but it is all superficial and based on pain from lies and secrecy.
Though I love many members of my family, they are primarily comprised of deceitful, secretive, cold people.

And though I take full responsibility for my own adult choices, I would be remiss to deny the impact of being raised in an environment that pummeled me from toddler-hood with a fundamental propensity to grow up and live the same way.

I have done many things I am not proud of and deeply regret. Yes, I have been hurt badly by people too but nothing wreaked such havoc on my entire being as being confronted with the pain that I have caused. I have hurt people I loved and I can never change it, I know I can only change who I am now and in the future, but I still found it so difficult to live with myself. Even though it was unintentional, paired with the loss of my relationship caused me to become severely depressed. Hence, the suicidal thoughts emerged.

I did not want to talk to anyone about it. I rejected the opportunity to reach out for help. There was nothing anyone could have said to me that could change what I had done. Nothing anyone could say or do to take back the hurt I caused. So I believed that killing myself was the only answer to protect anyone else I might hurt ever again as well as to stop the piercing pain of the empty hole I felt in my entire being.

That was perhaps the first time I ever felt peaceful with the decision to end my life. I was relieved. Recognizing this symptom from my background in psychology I immediately saw my doctor, located a therapist and started treatment. I didn’t yet want to “feel better” but I wanted to want to, so I did it for my daughter until I felt like I wanted it for me.

If anyone is still reading this, thank you…I don’t know exactly why we need others to know our stories, I just know that sometimes I do.

Anyway, I digress, the worst is behind me, I think. The heavy feelings of despair are gone and though I still have a long way to go I think I am doing okay these days.

The scary thing about deep depression though is that the times that it hits the deepest seem to be the times that we are the least likely to call someone or reach out for help. When I reach that point, I truly want it to end not because “I want to stop living” but because I want to stop the pain and know of no other way to do it that makes sense. Talking at that point seems pointless because what can anyone say or encourage me to say that I believe will make it better?

That is what depression makes us believe anyway. But it isn’t true. There is always a better solution to any and every problem than taking our own life. Depression just makes it virtually impossible for us to see it!

I know that many others can describe similar moments. Thank God if we are here reading this we have overcome each of those days and nights we experienced. Regardless of what stopped us; whether it was something or someone that simply interrupted us or whether we realized a reason for us to not actually take that step, we didn’t.

To ease the heaviness of this post I will leave you with an endearing experience I had with my daughter.

I had been having much stress dealing with my first ex (a very nasty, abusive man) and I had been trying to get away from him but he wouldn’t leave me alone. I was beaten up and exhausted. One night, I planned on taking my life after my baby girl had gone to sleep but I honestly was too physically exhausted to do it, and fell asleep instead. I remember thinking that I could do it in the morning; I was just too tired.
Morning happened, and my little girl walked into my bedroom, looking so adorable, carrying her lamb chop puppet in one hand and my toothbrush in the other She was explaining to me, in her way, how white she had gotten its teeth. “Lamb chop has no teeth, silly girl.” I told her. Her beautiful laughter and giggles as she smiled at me and crawled into my bed reminded me of how much she needed me. I wanted to live again. Suicide averted.

It was a long time before I considered suicide again. But for those of us who suffer with recurring depression, we are never totally out of the woods. That is why it is essential to build a force field of supportive, loving people around us while we are not depressed so that when it happens we have a safe place to crash.

Having said that, I do not really have that supportive force field myself but I want it, and that is a step of progress for me. If anyone ever needs a shoulder or ear please do not hesitate to contact me. I know how it is to feel alone. No one should ever have to feel that way. Thank you for reading.

Peace.
~margie

Last edited:
Laughing or laughter therapy is the best cure/treatment for depression- be it unipolar or bipolar.

. . . don't give up out there, we are not alone, we work through this together because only we can understand each other. that's all

People don't understand that it's not just someone being happy or sad based on the events in their life, it's an actual biological disorder that can make you sad regardless of the events in your life . . . . We really need to work on public awareness so that there's a better understanding of this disease.

Points that bear repeating.

It was a long time before I would ever consider suicide again. But for those of us who suffer with recurring depression, we are never totally out of the woods. That is why it is essential to build a force field of supportive, loving people around us while we are not depressed so that when it happens we have a safe place to crash. Having said that, I do not really have that supportive force field myself

I second this too. Margie, so sorry to hear you feel you lack this kind of support, especially in light of what's gone on in your life as you've related so poignantly here. I empathize; even after I met and began a life together with my wonderful, sensible, couldn't-be-more-supportive rock of a wife I continued to suffer depressive episodes to the point that I too contemplated the absolutely foolish move of leaving her and the beautiful children I had fathered with her through the suicide route.

And as life is wont to do in its cruelty and irony, it was not me whom death eventually snatched from this world after all my dalliances and feints with it, but my strong, adorable wife--she developed untreatable brain cancer and fought the good fight until she succumbed just a matter of months ago. Since then, I have experienced a darkness and loneliness that I never knew could exist nor that I could survive, but somehow I endure. The suffering is largely of my own making; coming from a small and emotionally distant family, shades of yours, and with my innate extreme shyness and fierce independence, I never built up any sort of a circle of intimates through my entire life, and now I feel this absence more acutely than ever.

I sincerely hope that someone activates that "force field" for you.

Hi Nedstacey2... I am so very sorry for the loss of your wife. A loss of such magnitude as the love of your life can and does leave a gaping hole in our hearts,our very being, and every aspect of our lives. While I have suffered loss, I cannot begin to know what it must be like watching the person you love most, suffer with an illness, I am so sorry. Yes, the loneliness after such a loss is immeasurable and like you, I somehow endure as well. Thank you, I hope that you also find the support that you need. Please feel free to PM me anytime if you ever wish to talk or have an understanding ear. :)

i'm glad people have seen this and welcomed it. To Nedstacey2 my deepest regrets to you loosing your wife. Loneliness is hard, I've also struggled with suicide myself and attempted it multiple times. I believe I am here for a reason but the fight is hard and long, but we all cannot give up the fight for if we do, then we have truly lost. Yes laughter may help but doesn't make go away honestly. For us who can't get it we may use helping others as a way of helping us bare this thing. Its a burden but we never have to bear it alone

Margie and JamMan, thank you so much for your kind thoughts. JM, warmest wishes and encouragement to you in your ongoing struggle, and thanks again for starting this thread. And Margie, I so appreciate your offer to communicate, and the same goes for you should you ever need a virtual shoulder.

Laughing or laughter therapy is the best cure/treatment for depression- be it unipolar or bipolar.

And if you laugh at EVERYTHING?

And you still wish to split your wrists open to your elbows...What then?

What's New

4/27/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the webs largest clip store! Get details by clicking the C4S banners
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back