• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Does watching the shuttle lift off still give you a thrill?

isabeau

Level of Double Diamond Feather
I just watched the space shuttle Atlantis lift-off..after viewing many lift offs in the past, i can say the thrill is definitely still there..and also when the flight controller says "Go with throttle up" i get a shiver..i wonder if the astronauts feel the same way when hearing those words, and remember the Challenger..i will never take a shuttle lift-off or landing for granted..

I still find it amazing that they can get the thing off the ground. Space travel, such as it is, amazes me. But, I'm always concerned about those on board until their return. I also struggle with the idea of spending billions on this (as great as it is) while people are starving. So, yes. I do get a thrill. But, it's tempered by other issues.

Ann

I still get a thrill when I am watching a lift-off. I guess it's because I am sos cared that somethign bad will the space shuttle and its crew.

TklDuo-Ann said:
I still find it amazing that they can get the thing off the ground. Space travel, such as it is, amazes me. But, I'm always concerned about those on board until their return. I also struggle with the idea of spending billions on this (as great as it is) while people are starving. So, yes. I do get a thrill. But, it's tempered by other issues.

Ann

yes as am i...and yes i also hate the idea of all that money spent, when we have so many needy people here who could benefit from some of that..

i would love to view a live take-off...my inlaws live not far away from the launching pad..i don't understand why they never have gone to see that spectacular event..

Yeah -- the thrill is no longer along the lines of "AWESOME!", though... Post-Challenger, every launch I've seen is accompanied by the same thrill with which one might view some poor bastard strapped to a jet-powered wheelchair jumping the Grand Canyon, Evil Knievel style... "C'mon, baby, you can make it, you can make it..."

We really need a new vehicle.

It is still impressive,even on t.v.But every time i see one go up i am reminded of something John Glenn wrote.As he was sitting in his Mercury capsule waiting for lift-off he was thinking you know,the low bidder got the contract to build this thing.A comforting thought indeed.

isabeau said:
I just watched the space shuttle Atlantis lift-off..after viewing many lift offs in the past, i can say the thrill is definitely still there..and also when the flight controller says "Go with throttle up" i get a shiver..i wonder if the astronauts feel the same way when hearing those words, and remember the Challenger..i will never take a shuttle lift-off or landing for granted..

Allways Izzy, Allways. My only regret is not been inside.

It fascinates and thrills me. Space travel has always been an interest of mine. I'd love to be able to go to the moon and beyond. I even went to Space Camp as a child and would LOVE to go back as an adult. I digress... this may sound morbid, but I like to watch just in case something does go wrong, not because I want something to go wrong, but because that's history right there. A lot of people remember where they were when Challenger blew up, when Princess Diana died and when 9-11 happened... it's just a milestone in world history.

I haven't watched a space shuttle blast off since Challenger. We were scanning the Houston sky to see it pass overhead. It never did. After Columbia, I don't go out of my way to watch the returns either. I just hope for the best in both instances. I believe in the exploration of space and of the sea. Of course there are other problems that need funds. But, exploration industries employ millions of people, many of whom might otherwise end up on the unemployment and starving lists within our own country.

I still get a kick out of watching the lift offs, and i watched yesterdays and the one on july 4th, but at the same time i still kind of keep my fingers crossed until the shuttle reaches orbit, its hard to believe this same space shuttle design has been in service for almost 30 years old now........

Capnmad said:
We really need a new vehicle.

Actually there was an article that I read that stated there is approx 7 new ones in the works. The contract was just awarded to...ummm...I believe Lockheed...but dont quote me on that. I am sure the engineers have been very busy coming up with something new. Hopefully they learned some lessons with the shuttle while they were designing the new ones. I have actually seen the shuttle lift off. I lived down in Florida for awhile and was able to see it. It is an amazing site no matter how you look at it. Ya you always pray during countdown that everything will go smooth and that nothing will happen. But we used to do that with the Apollo missions too. There will always be a risk because of what is needed to get those machines off the ground but, to the astronauts, its worth it to them for the opportunities that they have.

well the crew today is going over the shuttle, to see if there was any damage during take-off yesterday...i guess a small problem was detected..

Yes I agree Isabeau.......

....its an awesome sight, but it is always spoilt for me two things which are always at the back of my mind. One is that Gil Scott Heron song "Whitey's on the Moon" and the other is the fact that basically what you are watching when the shuttle takes off is WW2 Nazi technology (Herr Von Braun being both a fully paid up member of the nazi party and father of the Saturn Five rocket project)

But yes its still an amazing sight to behold!

What's New

5/4/2024
The Final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is open! Visit the GFA fouem and cast your ballot!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back