• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

driversupdated.com.... trust this site?

barefeetarebest

1st Level Orange Feather
Okay I picked up this used (refurbished) laptop fairly cheap but I'm not familiar with the spyware, virus detection etc... so i'm extremely careful not to download from sites I don't know...
can driversupdated.com be trusted to get an update so i can run .rm clips?

I've not used or heard of it before. That doesn't mean anything, though, as I don't know of countless fully-legitimate sites.

What exactly are you trying to download? You shouldn't need to download a driver to play a RealMedia (RM) clip. Downloading the VLC Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) should accommodate that, and the VLC Player is a trustworthy application. Do you need some sort of video driver for your graphics card?

I second that. "driversupdated.com" sounds a bit suspicious... What do they get out of it? Do they solely exist to "update one's drivers"? Bet your spyware/malware gets updated as well...

VLC player is indeed a perfect choice. Both my laptop and netbook run Linux, which only has codecs for the native .ogg format. Installing VLC player took care of every possible format there is. And since it's open source (everyone can check out the source code and see what the program does -no malware hiding in there) it's one of the most trustworthy pieces of software you'll find.

I've not used or heard of it before. That doesn't mean anything, though, as I don't know of countless fully-legitimate sites.

What exactly are you trying to download? You shouldn't need to download a driver to play a RealMedia (RM) clip. Downloading the VLC Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) should accommodate that, and the VLC Player is a trustworthy application. Do you need some sort of video driver for your graphics card?

thank you for the tech support. I'm running an older system now so i don't have a real player, it's XP which i'm okay with but many of the apps seem outdated. I don't want to overwhelm this laptop, not just yet anyway. the driversupdated.com site had a microsoft "look" to it, but appeared not quite legit, which prompted me to get away from it and ask here. The codec i presently have wouldn't support an .rm video clip uploaded to this site.

I would recoommend going to the manufacturer's site to download the correct drivers.

The VLC player will play .RM files. It comes with any necessary codecs to play files it supports. It's designed to be lightweight and use few resources, so it should be good for your laptop. Give it a try; if it does not work, which is unlikely, we can help you find the right codec to install. You should NOT need a driver to play a video.

If you ever did need a driver, Viper is right on the money: trust only the manufacturer's website. Anywhere else is suspect from the start.

What's New

4/28/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday Eve at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back