• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Favorite 'classic' monster

Favorite 'classic' monster

• Vampires

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • Werewolves

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Ghosts

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Witches/Warlocks

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Demons

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Walking Dead(zombies,mummies,Frankenstein, etc.)

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters

GrimSkull

TMF Poster
Ah, my favorite time of the years approaches (Halloween) and as the resident Master of the Macabre on the TMF, I was curious if any of you had a particular favorite among the Children of the Night. Here's a list of the most infamous fiends to choose from

Vampires

Werewolves

Ghosts

Witches/Warlocks

Demons

Walking Dead (zombies, mummies, Frankenstein, etc.)

Oh Gods I'm such a horror nut...its too difficult for me to narrow it down to just one choice!

hmmm....gotta think about this one for a moment.

Seeing as how my favorite horror film of all time is "The Shining" I'm probably going to have to say ghosts. Yet vampires tie in at a close second.(Nosferatu is divinity captured on screen)

ChosenofMystra said:
Oh Gods I'm such a horror nut...its too difficult for me to narrow it down to just one choice!

hmmm....gotta think about this one for a moment.

Seeing as how my favorite horror film of all time is "The Shining" I'm probably going to have to say ghosts. Yet vampires tie in at a close second.(Nosferatu is divinity captured on screen)

Hey,I LOVE "The Shining",too(Here's Johnny!! lol) But narrowing down my fav. monster/villain is hard.I liked the mummy, the Wolf Man,etc.But I liked Pennywise the Clown from IT(Stephen King's creation) & Andrew, a retarded killer that stalked people in Hell Night.Also dug "Cropsy" in The Burning.

Damn it................Frankenstein is NOT a "monster" or "walking dead"!

He's a mad scientist!!!!

Drew

TklDuo-Drew said:

He's a mad scientist!!!!

Drew

I'm well aware that Frankenstein is actually the creator...I was just trying to save space...but if it makes you feel better, I meant Frankenstein's Monster.

As for me, I love all types of monsters, but werewolves would have to top the list!

you should have allowed for more than one vote..because i like both vampires, witches, and ghosts..but i voted for ghosts..are ghosts monsters? and you are the expert in the field of the undead, Grimskull...

Zombies for me

Went with Zombies, I loved night of the living dead. I think that may have been the first horror movie where the black guy makes it to the end of the film. He was cool too, who'd think you'd see civil rights in a monster movie lol.

TklDuo-Drew said:

He's a mad scientist!!!!

Drew

In my opinion the scientest was the monster because he created life and then didn't take proper care of it."Frankensteins Monster" was just a big infentile creature who was judged based on his "Monsterouse" apearence. Dr Frankenstien and the villagers were the real EVIL in that movie.

isabeau said:
you should have allowed for more than one vote..because i like both vampires, witches, and ghosts..but i voted for ghosts..are ghosts monsters? and you are the expert in the field of the undead, Grimskull...
I guess for purposes of this discussion, ghosts would be considered monsters Technically, witches are just people with spellcasting abilites

It was a tough decision, so i had to think. If i was a tickler i would be most sadistic as a demon! mwahahahah!!

Is it just me or is the only director to successfully pull off the concept of witches Dario Argento with his "Three Mothers" films (Suspiria and Inferno

I mean, we have witch movies like The Craft But that was downright abyssmal and a disgrace to true practitioners of neopagan religions.

I'm not alone here am I?

GrimSkull said:
I guess for purposes of this discussion, ghosts would be considered monsters Technically, witches are just people with spellcasting abilites

well in the novel "The Shining" the ghosts were definitely monsters..so i am supposing they qualify as such..and true witches are just people...

SlaverTickler said:
In my opinion the scientest was the monster because he created life and then didn't take proper care of it."Frankensteins Monster" was just a big infentile creature who was judged based on his "Monsterouse" apearence. Dr Frankenstien and the villagers were the real EVIL in that movie.

This is actually generally accepted to be the main point of the original Frankenstein novel by Mary Shelley. In the book, the 'monster' is actually inherently good, and intelligent as well: he learns literate English by secretly watching a family in a cabin, and in return he helps them out by leaving huge amounts of firewood at their door. It is his rejection by his creator, and by small-minded humans who take one look at him and decide he's an abominable creature of evil, that actually makes him turn murderous. In fact, he only kills people who are close to Dr Frankenstein, in a conscious attempt to punish the latter for creating and then abandoning him.

I've never seen the original movie, so I can't judge on that, but several generations of Hollywood bastardisations turned the story into a simplistic morality play: 'Don't go tampering in God's domain, or you may create evil monsters who will then turn on you.' In fact, in many versions the monster becomes evil because he is made from pieces of 'bad people', often by accident. This reduces him to a mindless automaton driven by his bloodthirsty biological nature--a far cry from the sensitive, passionate creature of Shelley's complex and thematically rich novel, brought to life in a grotesque form, left to fend for himself by a selfish, short-sighted creator unconcerned with how he will survive or learn to operate in human society, and then persecuted for his appearance.

You are absolutely correct--it was Dr Frankenstein who was the monster, at least until the movies watered down and corrupted the story.

As for ghosts and witches, neither are monsters. I had a witch for a girlfriend once--the only woman I've yet gotten a chance to tickle extensively. She wasn't a monster--at least until she broke my heart. :blaugh:

And ghosts usually don't even interact with people, let alone do bad things to them. They usually just kind of walk by, or appear and disappear, and if the person who sees them gets scared, that's the person's lookout! Unless you're referring to poltergeists--I'm not sure whether those are considered ghosts or not. Even most of those are generally harmless, if I'm not mistaken. The image we as a culture have of evil, destructive spirits (Poltergeist, The Exorcist, and so on) can pretty much be traced back, through some intermediate form or another, to one story: the 'Amityville Horror' of book and movie fame. And I think it makes a lot more sense to class that as a daemon than as a ghost--I've read the original book and seen a documentary on the real-life incident, and everyone involved talks about whatever it was much more like a daemon than a ghost.

Of course, the whole 'classic monsters' concept is to a great degree a matter of pop-culture ideas derived from Hollywood movies, so perhaps it's unfair to point out that Frankenstein's creation, witches, ghosts, and poltergeists are not really monsters, since we're not talking about reality anyway. We're talking about modern myths created in the cinema. In that context, anything that's portrayed as a monster has claim to be considered a monster.

Personally, though, I've always found all these old movie monsters rather boring, and not scary at all. (If I had to pick one I like, it'd be vampires.) I much prefer modern monsters like Michael Myers, the aliens of Alien, genetically engineered dinosaurs (another movie monster that was no monster at all in real life), or the mysterious 'presence' of Death in the Final Destination movies. This is probably in large part because of my age; already by the time I was born the classic werewolf- and vampire-movies were 'old' and 'primitive in their effects'. If I'd been born in another generation, they'd be the cutting edge to me.

Oh, well. Vive le difference. As long as movies are made where people scream and die, all will be well. :devil:

ChosenofMystra said:
Is it just me or is the only director to successfully pull off the concept of witches Dario Argento with his "Three Mothers" films (Suspiria and Inferno

I mean, we have witch movies like The Craft But that was downright abyssmal and a disgrace to true practitioners of neopagan religions.

I'm not alone here am I?

No you are not...I think Suspiria is by far the best film treatment of witches, and Argento is my favorite European director...I can't wait for the forthcoming conclusion to the 'Three Mothers' trilogy. And I'm not the biggest fan of The Craft, either...it implied that it was going to be about 'real witches' but it turned into a basic witchcraft tale

I will not discuss the misconceptions of the correct definition of 'Classic Monsters'.
I grew up in the 60s & 70s with Hollywood's version of these classic horror monsters (Bela Lugosi's Dracula, Boris Karloff's Frankenstein, etc), so I understand what the original poster meant.
Almost every year I go to Halloween parties dress as Bela Lugosi's Dracula.

Tickler Bart said:
I will not discuss the misconceptions of the correct definition of 'Classic Monsters'.
I grew up in the 60s & 70s with Hollywood's version of these classic horror monsters (Bela Lugosi's Dracula, Boris Karloff's Frankenstein, etc), so I understand what the original poster meant.
Almost every year I go to Halloween parties dress as Bela Lugosi's Dracula.

Cool. I'm going as a werewolf(got a bad-ass mask with acrylic fangs). It's nice to see I'm not the only one going as something scary...most everyone else these days insist as dressing as something stupid or perverted.

And all through Oct, I'll be watching my Monster Legacy Collection DVDs(Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, and The Creature From the Black Lagoon) Halloween rocks!

GrimSkull,
Yep, I LOVE the classics.
My all time favorite movie -
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

Vampires! :xpulcy: Everybody loves Vampires, they’re totally the most stylish of demonic creatures…. With the possible exception of the succubus :devil2:

I love Halloween; scary movies; haunted houses; & all that crap.
My vote is: 1. Vampires 2. Werewolves 3. Walking Dead 4. Ghosts 5. Witches/Warlocks

I'm biased towards ghosts because I actually do believe in them so that's where my vote went.

What's New

4/29/2024
Check out the TMF Gathering Forums to see who is meeting when and where!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back