• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Firefly....Serenity...SHINY!

I think Whedon's reason in that case was precisely because the death was senseless. He was making the point that heroes don't always end nobly, and that any one of them could die at any time.

I bet no one in the audience was sure about any other character's chances from that point on.

Good thinking and true enough. I was sure they'd all be dead by the time it was over.

Still it was HEARTWRENCHING. Wash was too funny and charming to lose.

Nah, Joss is still flying high in the 'verse. Theres another comic coming out this year telling Book's story (FINALLY).

I'm not a huge fan of the graphic novel but I suppose it's better than nothing because I was really wanting to know what's Book's story was.

Remember the episode "Objects in Space?" The one with the bounty hunter? If I'm not mistaken, he clocks Book at some point and the doc says he's a preacher and the bounty hunter says "he's no preacher." That was meant to lead somewhere, by golly, and it never did.

I'm not a huge fan of the graphic novel but I suppose it's better than nothing because I was really wanting to know what's Book's story was.

Remember the episode "Objects in Space?" The one with the bounty hunter? If I'm not mistaken, he clocks Book at some point and the doc says he's a preacher and the bounty hunter says "he's no preacher." That was meant to lead somewhere, by golly, and it never did.

There were a few hints throughout the series. One of the main ones is in Safe, where Book gets taken to the Alliance hospital and as soon as he pulls out an ID card, is rushed off. Another one is in the film where he knows exactly how the Operative works, with Mal outright asking him how he knows all this. There are smaller hints too, like in The Message, Book knew exactly how the Alliance officers where outside there jurisdiction, and even could tell where they were from by there badges. A fair bit o' knowledge for a simple preacher? I still stand by the idea that Book was once an Operative and became a Shepard to repent.

I've always planned on watching Firefly at some point, but I keep putting it off out of laziness. After seeing all of this praise I can't justify that any longer. I'll make it a goal to watch and finish the entire season before the end of next week.

I've always planned on watching Firefly at some point, but I keep putting it off out of laziness. After seeing all of this praise I can't justify that any longer. I'll make it a goal to watch and finish the entire season before the end of next week.

Do it! Your only regret will be that there are only 14 episodes.

Last edited:
There were a few hints throughout the series. One of the main ones is in Safe, where Book gets taken to the Alliance hospital and as soon as he pulls out an ID card, is rushed off. Another one is in the film where he knows exactly how the Operative works, with Mal outright asking him how he knows all this. There are smaller hints too, like in The Message, Book knew exactly how the Alliance officers where outside there jurisdiction, and even could tell where they were from by there badges. A fair bit o' knowledge for a simple preacher? I still stand by the idea that Book was once an Operative and became a Shepard to repent.

Book is also none to shabby with a gun and hand-to-hand combat! And he's clearly impressed with River's combat skills as well.

There's much more to Book that just being a simple Shepard!

Do it! You're only regret will be that there are only 14 episodes.

13 and a film infact. And a comic. And a novelisation. And an RPG game. But yay for recruiting new Browncoats! No power in the 'verse can stop me! :jester:

Book is also none to shabby with a gun and hand-to-hand combat! And he's clearly impressed with River's combat skills as well.

There's much more to Book that just being a simple Shepard!

"Isn't there something in your book about killing"
"Yes, but its a bit grey when it comes to kneecaps"

One of the best lines in the series.

Do it! Your only regret will be that there are only 14 episodes.

It's true. I got massively absorbed in it and did the whole series and movie in one week. Now I'm bereft. I'm going to soak up all the peripheral stuff I can, then watch the series again.

Then, I'll watch all 10 seasons of SG-1 again, which will take MONTHS, then do Firefly again and maybe during that time, another brilliant piece of SciFi will surface.

It's true. I got massively absorbed in it and did the whole series and movie in one week. Now I'm bereft. I'm going to soak up all the peripheral stuff I can, then watch the series again.

Then, I'll watch all 10 seasons of SG-1 again, which will take MONTHS, then do Firefly again and maybe during that time, another brilliant piece of SciFi will surface.

Theres a couple of decent series worth watching. the new Battlestar Galactica is fantastic if you haven't seen it, very similar to Firefly in that its more focused on the characters than the events happening around them. X-Files is always worth a watch through too, especially seasons 1-4.

Do yourself a favor.....if you haven't followed them.......get into "Buffy" and "Angel". If you liked "Firefly", you'll get totally absorbed in them. We started watching the dvds back in Nov. 2006, and they are now my favorite two shows of all-time.

Drew

I recommend Finding Serenity, a collection of essays about Firefly. For Christmas, I received volumes one and two of Firefly: The Official Companion, were are filled with unedited shooting scripts, interviews with Joss Whedon and the actors, lots of rare and previously unpublished pictures, and lots more. I've only just started perusing them, but great material for a serious Firefly fan.

I'd like to second the recommendations for the new Battlestar Galactica and Buffy. Battlestar Galactica is also a well-written, highly character-driven sci-fi drama, focusing on a rag-tag band of underdogs, so it should appeal to fans of Firefly.

Although Buffy is comic/horror/adventure, Joss Whedon is a genius, and if you like Firefly, you'll probably like his his other works as well. Firefly was actually my introduction to Joss, but after that, we devoured all seven seasons of Buffy in just a couple of months. Angel is on our list, but we haven't gotten around to it yet.

You might also want to check out Babylon 5 and Farscape. Although they aren't quite as good as Firefly and Battlestar Galactica, they are still quite good, and worthy of the attention of a sci-fi fan.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I already have peripheral Firefly stuff on its way to me.

I watched the first season of Battlestar Galactica but didn't get into it. It was a tad too dark for me. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Babylon 5 has already been a favorite.

Never saw Buffy or Angel, but I guess it's time I give them a try.

I just found this thread!!!!

It makes me happy to see that there are some fans of Firefly here!!!

I watched the show religiously every week! All 11 of them!
I bought the DVD set the first day it was released!!
3 new episodes!!!

Everything was top notch, writing, characters, sets, themes, and they couldn't have cast it any better!!!!!

It will go down in my book as one of the top sci fi series ever!!
Along with another cancelled too early favorite of mine, Farscape!!!

The 4 hour "Peacekeeper Wars" movie was amazing and helped to bring closure for all the fans left wanting!

It was the same for Serenity!! It brought closure! And it was a great story!!

As a sci fi nut, of course I love Star Wars, Star Trek (can't wait for the re-boot movie), Stargate, and the list could go on and on, but to me Firefly and Farscape are just as amazing and entertaining!!

and one more thing! Serenity and Firefly had awesome soundtracks!!!
The opening tune was sweet, and they always had slide acoustic guitar and cool blues riffs going on when a scene would open, and during a climax or important part of the show!! I'm in a band and really appreciated the scoring of each show and the movie!! It was simple yet beautiful!!!

Chimin' in my appreciation of this show. It definitely wasn't for everyone, but those that love it, love it fiercely.

Do yourself a favor.....if you haven't followed them.......get into "Buffy" and "Angel". If you liked "Firefly", you'll get totally absorbed in them. We started watching the dvds back in Nov. 2006, and they are now my favorite two shows of all-time.

Drew

I like how Joss Whedon always includes actors in all his shows into other shows. A good chunk of the Firefly cast was at one time a character on Buffy\Angel and the same is said for dr horrible.

Whedon is a poet when it comes to emotional scenes. Hell, the beginning of firefly with the end of the battle of serenity valley is heartbreaking, plus the various tragic deaths that occured in buffy\angel(tara,fred,etc)

I hafta say , I feel so ashamed for missing this thread when it was first posted this past January , 'cause I am a HUGE fan of this franchise.

Firefly - one of my favorite television programs EVER! It's criminal how FOX treated this brilliant show ... resulting in its one & only season.

Serenity - one helluva flick! If ever there was a more satisfying cinematic follow-up to TV show , I've never heard of it. Serenity gave fans of Firefly what they deserved ... a worthy tribute to some of the most likable bunch of characters to ever grace the small screen.

It's nice to see a good amount of Browncoats here on the forum.

And call it the "Joss Whedon Curse", but his new show "Dollhouse" starring Eliza Dushku has been given the dreaded Friday night time slot.

Anyway, back to my "Firefly" marathon....

February, brother. Faith and patience have we... ;)

For those wanting to see Serenity or to watch it again...

The network debut will be on the Sci Fi channel on sunday night!!!!!!

Go check it out, you will love it!!!!!

peace,
TMJ

Another Brown Coat here! My favorite series of all time. Like brother D said above, it wasn't for everybody, but I love it something fierce. Waiting to pick up the Blu-ray version. Every time I here the theme song, it makes me smile. This is a pretty cool Firefly wiki.

Logo-Serenity.jpg

What's New

5/14/2024
If you ned to report a post, click the report button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back