• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Floods in Central Europe

Haltickling

2nd Level Green Feather
While America groans under a heat wave, large parts of Central Europe have been suffering from the biggest floods in centuries for almost a week now. The whole precipitation amount of two months came down within a few days. The historic city centers of Dresden and Prague were under water, the flood in the streets there was up to 10 ft. and crushed through the ground floor windows. Several regions in Bavaria, Saxonia, Austria, and the Czech Republic have been hit worst. Luckily, there have been only about 20 casualties so far, but thousands of homes and existences have been destroyed.

Today, a chemical plant in the Czech Republic was flooded after a dam burst; quicksilver and dioxine were washed into the River Elbe which flows through Dresden and Hamburg as well. Right now while I'm writing this, the whole town of Bitterfeld (ca. 16,000 inhabitants) is evacuated as another dam-burst threatens 350(!) chemical plants in that area.

There have always been floods in some regions, so the population there is prepared. The main problem is that this time, the flood has hit areas which have never experienced a flood in their history. For example, the village where I was born (20 miles outside Munich) was completely flooded last Sunday, and still not accessible on the road because the rain caused many landslides. It's written history goes back 1200 years, and there's never been a flood before. The River Elbe in Dresden usually measures a depth of 6 ft, and their worst floods went up to 15 ft, but this time it is 40 ft high. Completely unprecedented.

Meteorologists are predicting even worse floods for the future, due to the global warming effect. And this is caused by the hothouse gasses from industry and cars. It's about time we care a bit more for our environment!

I've been watching this on the news Hal. It's a sad situation. One of the problems with it being so widespread is that there are only so many places to evacuate people TO. I'm afraid that we're likely to see more people lost before this is all over. A sad day for the world.

And we (myself included) bitch and moan about too much heat and too little rain!

Ann

Thanks, Ann. Could you mail us a little of your sun, and we'll send you part of our rain? :)

I just got some up-to-date figures: About 100,000 people had to leave their homes, currently on the run from the floods. Around 4.2 million are directly affected by the floods (damaged or destroyed homes/cars/shops/factories/farms). These numbers are counting only those in Germany, many more are affected in Austria and the Czech Republic. Those numbers don't include the multitude of job-losses because the companies they've worked for will have to close down because of the heavy damage. Much of the crops are destroyed, so shortly before harvest time.

The crazy weather also hit badly in Italy. The streets in Rome looked like Venice waterways, and in Turin (Northern Italy), some snow came down in August! Heavy landslides are reported from the Russian Black Sea coast, and they have given out a tornado warning, something completely unknown in that area! Insane!

Yes. I think this is one where the entire world will have to put aside their petty bickering and lend a hand. There are just too many on the losing end for these countries to help themselves right away.

Ann

Europeans call Americans names, s**t on us, and we're supposed to help? But we probably will, because that's our nature.

Strelnikov

If you want to inform yourself by an American source:

www.cnn.com/Europefloods

I wasn't calling for help, but this desaster is so distressing to me that I just HAD to talk about it with some friendly souls.

Sorry, Hal...

...feeling grumpy today. I've seen the news stories and vids on MSNBC.com over the past several days. I wonder whether the fact that Europe is relatively (compared to North America) heavily populated and built up has contributed to the severity of the flooding. Roofs, pavement, and even cleared farmland don't absorb and hold water very well. That, and ill-advised flood control schemes, had a lot to do with our Mississippi River floods some years ago.

The articles I saw said that it's caused by a freak weather system over the North Atlantic, a 1000-year event, rather than by Global Warming. I don't know if that's true, nor do I think anyone else does either.

Good luck to our European members. Looks like you'll need it.

Strelnikov

Reported today: A 12-yr-old male sea lion named Gaston escaped last week from the flooded zoo in Prague, Czech Republic. He was found and recaptured on Monday in Wittenberg, Germany, 150 miles downstream. He will be lodged temporarily in the Berlin Zoo until Prague is ready to accomodate him again.

Nice to see that even with all of the tragedy the floods have caused, people still find time to take care of a lost animal.

Strelnikov

What's New

5/2/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome forum and take a moment to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back