• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

For all the writers out there

Dragonsbain

TMF Poster
Hello all,
This is for all the writers out there. When you are creating do you need to listen to music? I only ask because I have to and I would like to know if anyone else does.

Now the song or music, usually, has nothing to do with what I am writing. As an example, my story "Play Time" was writen to the following.

From the beginning to "Data is the water safe?" -- Evanescence ~~"Bring me to Life"
The water scene to the end of part one---Karnataka~~Heaven can wait
All of part 2, which should be up Sunday, ---Mozart~~Symphony 41 K 551

Health and Happiness

Now I am no Mark Twain, if and when I find the time to write anything (mostly ramblings), I'll listen only to music that I can't 'get into'.

Meaning it can't be something that will distract me from the writing process. Perhaps it's because I suffer from writers block so frequently and/or am a perfectionist, but if I had say... Rage Against the Machine playing in the background, I will start to sing along and/or focus more on what Zach De La Rocha is saying than what I'm thinking (My ADD kicks in).

I try to listen to non-lyrical music or music-heavy songs. Classical, desert rock, Malmsteen. Something to get the writing juices flowing without pulling my attention away.

P.S.:
I'm a writer---I create!!!

View attachment 184813

I always wanted to say that. :D

I tend to listen to music while I have to sit down and hammer out the plot of each issue. I may also write snippets of dialogue as I go, but nothing too in depth. I also blare the tunes when I am doing the artwork page by page.

Strangely, I prefer the tv to be on when it comes time to actually letter the dialogue. Hearing people conversing with each other seems to get me into the "flow" better. I guess it's no coincidence that I do most of my dialogue/writing/lettering when TNT runs their daily Law & Order block.

As far as what kind of music I listen to, I have like two days worth of songs on my computer, so I just set it for random.

I'll have either total quiet or soft instrumental music. Never anything with lyrics. I also do best when I'm home alone. I'm too easily distracted to write when there's other stuff going on. I've never managed to overcome that.

the short answer would be yes. especially when i am just coming out of the box and trying to capture the emotion of my rough draft. The music brings me to a whole other level of feeling what the charecters are actually feeling the passion the love sometimes even the hate or anger. it makes writing about that emotional state a lot easier.

sometimes when you go back to edit check spelling or grammar or brainstorm about plot its good for things to be quiet but for the most part i have my playlist going.

Yes, I need music when writing because I pretty much need music period. Even if I'm listening to a song with lyrics, I can make it "background noise" while working on the task at hand. I find it very soothing.

I don't need music, not quiet. I need a sensory deprivation tank. If there was a way to stop all molecular motion within a block's radius when I'm writing, I'd use that. :)

Snail Shell

Of course; I listen to music all the time when I'm trying to write, or need the inspiration to think of some ideas, but I don't absolutely NEED it. Music just comforts me.

The true inspiration is the emotions I'm feeling at the moment, and the motivation to do something good for myself. Music is just something that connects to the feelings I'm currently battling with.

I'll listen to certain music BEFORE I start writing to achieve the mood or state of mind I need to get the story written right. But if the music becomes to overwhelming in my head and won't go away then I have to write what I can and then abandon the task until the next day or so.

But after that I need quiet to write at all.

Music Yes Please:). Sometimes instrumentals only (Flying Lotus, Nujabes, 9th Wonder, Herbaliser, Madlib all help my process very well) Other times music with non-English lyrics helps, so I don't get caught up in the words. I choose songs based on whatever mood I'm trying to evoke in myself to get the words out. I only turn it off when I'm reading the finished work or editing.
:chill:

I usually listen to music while I write. I too use it as background noise, especially if I'm preparing a lecture or writing a paper. If it's creative, there are times where I've just got an idea and I have to write in the moment and I write in silence.
I've always studied to music too.

It depends on what i'm writing. If I'm writing a story involving music then yes it helps me to listen to the type of music the story involves

If I'm writing something non-music related then sometimes I listen to music but not because I have to, but because I want to

if i'm writing song lyrics then no, it distracts me from what i'm writing and I need to concentrate on how it's going to flow and stuff lol

I don't need to listen to music, but sometimes I listen to it. Generally the music I listen to reflects the emotions I am feeling/writing.

I don't usually listen to music when I write, but I was listening to the Dark Knight soundtrack when I wrote my Batman story.

What's New

5/15/2024
The TMF Links forum keeps you updated on tickling sites all around the web.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back