• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Frank Zappa surprised by US Marine Band playing "Joe's Garage" (1980)

The Internet

2nd Level Green Feather
Ok....if there are two things in this world I love...one of them has got to be Frank Zappa!

And if you clicked on this....I know you feel the same exact way!

From the Zappa vault....they're doing a Quickstarter campaign to make a documentary about this one-of-a-kind, niche artist. You may not like everything Frank did, but you have to respect it.

It's 1980, San Francisco. Frank is on tour and has just disembarked from his plane. Entering the airport, he is surprised by a US Marine Band playing "Joe's Garage". Instead of just proceeding on to get his baggage, he puts himself right in from of the musicians and begins conducting. He is obviously touched and amazed by the gesture, made more ironic by the fact that it's a military band.

So....enjoy this sweet clip.....I sure wish Frank was still with us, we sure could use him right now, couldn't we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LUAC_zmO_s

(i see there are some other tantalizing clips, ones I haven't seen, including Zappa with the League of Women Voters....and Zappa jamming with Clapton....have fun, rockinghorse people!)

Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus!

Thanks for the post. I've never seen this before, and I'm about to go down the YouTube FZ rabbit hole!

Last edited:
Huh, he was a 70's and 80's artist right? What genre did his music fit into? Rock and roll? Country? Heavy metal? Do tell! :D

Huh, he was a 70's and 80's artist right? What genre did his music fit into? Rock and roll? Country? Heavy metal? Do tell! :D

First album 1966. Although he recorded through the 80s, he "belongs" more to the the late 60s and 70s.

Classifying Zappa is impossible since he did everything from avant garde classical and "out" jazz to, what basically amounts to, comedy music.

But rock and roll is his home base. Rock and roll, the music that includes all others.

He's a one-of-a-kind artist who carved out a niche for himself. He's not for everybody. Lyrically, can be very "dirty". You could call him the Lenny Bruce of rock. Or even the Howard Stern of rock. Musically, just about the most difficult-to-play, challenging composer in all of rock.

Probably not up your alley. He was so prolific (I think something like 60 albums released in his lifetime) and so varied in style, that it can be hard being initiated. If you don't him by now, you'd probably be best waiting for the documentary to come out.

I brought my Joe's Garage discs with me today thanks to this thread.

Off to Canoga Park!

Whoah, that breaks my heart! Though, it's very "Zappa", sad to say. Thanks for posting that, man!

Happy you're listening to "Joe's Garage" today! "Watermelon In Easter Hay", devastating. I always wanted "Mary" to get tickled during the Wet T Shirt contest! "A million laughs, Mary..." ;)

Man, I should have made my handle "The Central Scrutinizer" instead of "Dearest Leo"! Next time! :)

I guess I'm glad I got to see ZPZ a few times with the original name, haha.

That's the closest I'll get to live Zappa. That and seeing Project/Object, so I've witnessed, like, six or seven Zappa alumni.

My dad saw him a few times back in the 80s. Lucky fella!

I fell in love with him during the Verve years, and religiously followed him through the Bizarre Jazz period, but when he embarked on more frat boy music as I was calling it, the Discreet, Zappa, and Barking Pumpkin labels, I lost all interest. The only drawback now is everything is being re-issued on CD on one label which doesn't show where the original recordings originated, so some folks are going to be seriously disappointed wading through that mess.

I fell in love with him during the Verve years, and religiously followed him through the Bizarre Jazz period, but when he embarked on more frat boy music as I was calling it, the Discreet, Zappa, and Barking Pumpkin labels, I lost all interest. The only drawback now is everything is being re-issued on CD on one label which doesn't show where the original recordings originated, so some folks are going to be seriously disappointed wading through that mess.

First off, ShippyShippy, my Dad got to see him in the 80s too! I ALMOST saw him in the 80s, and have been kicking myself ever since.

MrTicklefeet, wow, you're a first generation fan! I'm with you, though I do like some of the "frat boy" era stuff (I love that you know all the labels, labels that are etched forever in my mind!), probably because I was a kid and would laugh at that stuff....but also, musically it was still excellent. After "Joe's Garage" I thought it wasn't as inspired (as was the case with most 80s music made by 60s and 70s guys!). But, most definitely the early Mothers stuff, and the late 60s Uncle Meat-Burnt Weenie Sandiwch period. I don't like the Flo and Eddie era at all (other than a few songs off of "Chunga's Revenge", almost all instrumentals)

I love The Grand Wazoo and Waka Jawaka, love Overnight Sensation and Apostrophe, might be frat boy humor, but man, some great music.....LOVE One Size Fits All....Zoot Allures I like. I mean, Terry Bozzio! I have to love that era, dumb lyrics or not!!! Especially because there's always some instrumentals, and amazing guitar solos. "Watermelon in Easter Hay", "Black Napkins" "Sheik Yerbouti" is frat boy, yes, but it's also hilarious, and has some great music..... "Rubber Shirt", "Yo Mama"..."Jones Crusher"!

I have a comprehensive Zappa library, and in fact, have been putting it in meticulous chronological order! Song by song! So if you ever want to know about a particular album or song, shoot me a PM, I might be able to help.

The worst thing he ever did was re-recording the bass and drums to "We're Only In It For The Money" and "Cruising With Ruben and the Jets" in the 80s. HORRIBLE. "We're Only In It For The Money" has since been released in its original form.....but "Ruben and the Jets" is still mutilated, though you can get the original version on an album called "Greasy Love Songs".

Fuck, I could about Zappa, or music in general, all day.....more than tickling!!!!!!

What's New

5/6/2024
Check out Clips4Sale for the webs largest one-stop fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back