• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

freedom being flushed

august spies

TMF Master
Lawyer Arrested for Wearing a 'Peace' T-Shirt

Tue March 4, 2003 07:55 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A lawyer was arrested late Monday and charged with trespassing at a public mall in the state of New York after refusing to take off a T-shirt advocating peace that he had just purchased at the mall.According to the criminal complaint filed on Monday, Stephen Downs was wearing a T-shirt bearing the words "Give Peace A Chance" that he had just purchased from a vendor inside the Crossgates Mall in Guilderland, New York, near Albany."I was in the food court with my son when I was confronted by two security guards and ordered to either take off the T-shirt or leave the mall," said Downs.When Downs refused the security officers' orders, police from the town of Guilderland were called and he was arrested and taken away in handcuffs, charged with trespassing "in that he knowingly enter(ed) or remain(ed) unlawfully upon premises," the complaint read.Downs said police tried to convince him he was wrong in his actions by refusing to remove the T-shirt because the mall "was like a private house and that I was acting poorly."I told them the analogy was not good and I was then hauled off to night court where I was arraigned after pleading not guilty and released on my own recognizance," Downs told Reuters in a telephone interview.Downs is the director of the Albany Office of the state Commission on Judicial Conduct, which investigates complaints of misconduct against judges and can admonish, censure or remove judges found to have engaged in misconduct.Calls to the Guilderland police and district attorney, Anthony Cardona and to officials at the mall were not returned for comment.Downs is due back in court for a hearing on March 17.He could face up to a year in prison if convicted.

commentary:

weather people want to admit it or not our freedoms are quickly being flushed down the toilet. the patriot act and proposed patriot act 2 are dangerous and have to be stopped. the government has always spied on political opposition and harassed people as well. but now it is getting rediculous.

if bush could kill every signe person who disagrees with him, i know he wouldnt hesitance, heck, his dad did it in el salvador. however people in america are really brought up believing they live in a free country, but people like bush are going to push the public as far as he can.

and of course the media is demonizing any opposition to the government, its obvious people are scared of anyone and everything thats not sheepishly following bush. they will continue to push this culture of fear so they can take away as much freedom as possible, we must not let this happen.

Its more then sick. How is something like this even justified? They can say all they want, but when they get right down to it, in court, how could he possibly be found guilty?

If I'm understanding this correctly, he was arrested for wearing a shirt with a positive messege? Why would it matter where he was wearing it? I just don't get where the opposition is coming from with this.

Flabbergasting..

- Damien

I'll admit the patriot act sucks. It was a rash law and what really is terrible is you can't find the bad guys without impinging on everybody.
Our freedoms are being lost, but because our correctness has overtaken. Here is where politically correct comes to bite us in the end. We're so concerned about not upsetting people through profiling that we're willing to set laws that effectively harm EVERYONE to get to the few without being unfair to the masses.

stupid question, but....

Why the hell is it being sold in the mall if it's not acceptable to wear it in the mall?! This is just stupid!

Initially, the evnts of 9-11 strengthened us and helped us to come together as one. Now, the anger and hate have taken over and turned us into the very things we're fighting against. Sad, sick and SO unnecessary!

Ann

Oh say does that star spangled,
Banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free,
And the home of the brave.

:manicd: :scared: :manicd: :scared: :manicd: :scared: :manicd: :scared: :manicd: :scared: :manicd:

Celtic_Emperor said:
If I'm understanding this correctly, he was arrested for wearing a shirt with a positive messege?

No, he was arrested for refusing to leave the premises when asked to by an authourised person. That was a criminal offence. Owners of private shops, malls etc. don't have to entertain anyone on their premises that they don't wish to. They also don't have to give any reason for asking someone to leave. According to the letter of the law, this guy is guilty of the offence he's been charged with.

That doesn't make it any less totalitarian, sick, fascist, communist and any other word I can come up with between now and doomsday.

when blair said "things can only get better" we assumed he meant for the people,not him and his cronies,lol,boy did him and bush sucker the western "democracies".:eek:

t s s said:
when blair said "things can only get better" we assumed he meant for the people,not him and his cronies,lol,boy did him and bush sucker the western "democracies".:eek:

I can't hear that song without seeing that inane turd-head's grinning face in my thoughts now. The bastard ruined a perfectly good tune!!!

:disgust:

What's New

5/3/2024
If you need to report a post, click the report button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back