• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Fun Fairs, theme parks, water parks, amusements etc

teamtickleguy

2nd Level Orange Feather
I was just wondering if anyone had any interesting or amusing thoughts and experiences relating to these sorts of places.

Theme parks have been in the UK press a lot recently, due to some awful accidents, banning of selfie sticks, newly opened parks, parks for sale and I was just having a think and a look through old photos.

Do you have a favourite venue? favourite ride? terrifying experience? memorable date with a love interest? rediscovered your youth by taking your kids/nieces/nephews to a fair?

Has anyone been to Dollywood? Neverland Ranch?

I was a late blossomer when it comes to theme park rides, I didn't really go for anything too daunting until I was almost out of my teens.

I quite like photography of active theme parks and rides in action, but also of the many abandoned theme parks that seem to litter various countries, not just the UK. A famous one in UK (Dreamland, at Margate) has recently reopened.
I think you can fully appreciate the structures of the rides when they are not obscured by lighting or people etc, plus there's a natural eeriness to an abandoned theme park - the silence and stillness of what was once a hub of activity.

There is also a semi-spoof theme park called Dismaland ('dismal land'), a project from the artist Banksy situated at a dis-used lido, which is a fully functioning theme park, but aimed squarely against all that is capitalist about them parks and only open for a short period of time - I unfortunately haven't been able to go.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-34347681

I spend quite a bit of time over the Summer at vintage shows, which usually include a vintage funfair - the rides are often rickety, powered by steam and accompanied by vintage music played by fairground organs, or by the music from the era of Glenn Miller, Buddy Holly - the atmosphere at night is fantastic and once you're done with the rides you can have a beer and keep warm by the steam engines until the organs play the National Anthem at midnight.
Rides such as the Cakewalk, the Big Wheel, the giant Swingboats the old fashioned Helter Skelter, the Wall of Death - they are all quite frightening by way of their age and the way you feel so exposed on them.
You can't hook a goldfish anymore though.

When it comes to modern rides I do love the rollercoasters, being twisted and dropped and thrown upside down, but what I DON'T like is being spun around in one direction whilst the ride is going in the other direction - things like the Twister or the Waltzer or the children's Teacups have previously made me very sick!
The shade of green my face goes has become infamous in my family and frequently is a talking point at family gatherings.

I always enjoy the water rides, log flumes etc

My single most terrifying experience was with a friend at a water park in Torremolinos - the vertical slide shown in one of the attached photos - what made it so terrifying was how exposed we felt at the top - it was so high, by the time we had climbed all the way up we were really cold and nobody else seemed to be going on the slide - there was no attendant at the top. You couldn't hear anything at all from down below, there wasn't even the sound or sight or rushing water. It was almost as though the ride was shut and it felt a bit like an abandoned ride, like I described earlier.
You also couldn't see anything over the edge, the drop was completely vertical, it felt as though you were jumping off into nothing and if you got it wrong you could easily leave the slide and fall. I was so anxious that I made my friend (who is usually the more cautious of the two of us) go first. The slide was one hell of an experience, I felt incredible having made it to the bottom unharmed, but it was not the sort of thing we wanted to go straight back on again!!

I did once get tickled on a Ghost Train as well, but that's another story...

Cheers
TTG

Attachments

• aqualanda-kamikaze.jpg
    aqualanda-kamikaze.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 8
  • vintage steam fair.jpg
    vintage steam fair.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 6
I'm a huge theme park fan. My personal Favorite is Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. I been there a couple of times over the past 10 Years, and just went this past summer. It's basically Roller Coaster Central.

My Favorite Experience has also been the most terrifying. And that was riding in the front seat of these 2 Rides on my first trip to Cedar Point:

The Millennium Force
MillenniumForce.jpg
POV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To3jujFzwHg
What you see dead ahead when you get to the top, is Canada

The Top Thrill Dragster
TopThrillDragster.jpg
POV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbN3NU4hIZg

But I make sure that I always ride those 2 whenever I go

One of my favourite theme parks is Port Aventura in Spain, and it's Dragon Khan rollercoaster, which was Europe's biggest for a time.

What you see dead ahead when you get to the top, is Canada

That's another thing I like, you can get some pretty good views on lots of theme park rides. The terrain that you're chucked through and the views you get can make the experience very different to riding some of the more standard travelling rollercoasters where all you can see and hear is the mayhem of what's happening on the other rides because with a travelling fair everything is in such closer proximity.

The first big rollercoaster I went was Colossus at Thorpe Park in England during one of the annual Halloween 'Fright Nights' - I had the front seat for that too and that also made it just that little bit more exciting. Colossus was record breaking at the time I think, for it's 4 consecutive barrell-rolls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeKIBSN2F5c (front row POV)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3fyZ_r4Hvg (night time)

I love Cedar Point, but being from Ohio, I actually prefer King's Island (which is in my backyard more or less). The Beast was the best roller coaster around when I was growing up. They keep topping themselves with new roller coasters - I love to see what they have. One of my favorites is the Outer Limits - an indoor roller coaster that takes a lot of turns and basically blasts you from the start at 70MPH. I have been to a few other parks (including Disneyland and Disneyworld), but none of them compare to the ones we have in Ohio.

I've been to Cedar Point twice. Defiantly a place to go if you're a Coaster Fan.

I've only been to Cedar Point but was just there. I 2nd Top Thrill Dragster. 0-120 mph in 3.8 seconds then twisting 90 degrees up 400+ft and twist straight back down. Not a long ride but it may cause you to leave your own tread marks in your shorts. :yowzer:

I have been to Dollywood.

You will get wet at that park. Dolly's family put on shows at their theater. Lots of craft people there to show you how things are made.

I grew up in the countryside (and still live in rural France), and my version of water parks was the local river system. My older sister and I would spend the whole summer exploring the area around our family's house, trying to find places to jump in, rocks to sunbathe, shallows to paddle in, and deep spots to dive into from the top of waterfalls. We could leave home in nothing more than our bikinis if we wanted to, and we did! The only problem was it wasn't very social, most of the places we played were (as far as I know) our little secrets.

At about 14 I went to a water park with a couple of friends, and my mind was blown - the place was packed full of other teenagers and their families, and where I might have walked a couple of miles to get to a good place to dive there were two spots, and there were slides, and oh-so-many people to try and flirt with!

Waterparks are a bit of a guilty pleasure now I'm in my twenties. I always take my cousins, and try and act aloof, but the second I'm there it turns into OH MY GOD I WANT TO GO DOWN THE SLIDE BUT THERE ARE TUBES AND OH OH OH LOOK A DIVING BOARD!!!! I still prefer playing in the mountain rivers though.

I've never been to a theme park, but I love the little fun fairs that tour around, especially in the summer. They have such a nice atmosphere, especially in the evening when everyone in the area visits.

The only tickling experience I have was being in the stocks for tickle challenge at a fundraiser. It could have been really fun... if my sister hadn't seen it as a golden opportunity and tickled me for the whole of my ten minutes!

I'm not the biggest fan of theme/amusement parks. I'm mostly okay with them, as long as I don't go on any rollercoaster rides. Or anything that would drop or spin me at alarming speeds. I had a not so pleasant experience in the oldest existing amusement park, which is Bakken, in Denmark.

I was 8, it was late in the evening, I remember it was already dark, my family decided to go on a rollercoaster ride (it looks ancient now, the wooden supports look like they could collapse at any given moment). We slowly ascended up the steep hill, then plunged rapidly into the dark below. That drop scared the living daylights out of me, and I cried to be let off immediately. I guess that must've been what created my fear of falling (different from fear of heights), and ever since then I've stayed away from such rides.

Waterparks however I love! I'll take that over an amusement park any day of the week! :D

I grew up in the countryside (and still live in rural France), and my version of water parks was the local river system. My older sister and I would spend the whole summer exploring the area around our family's house, trying to find places to jump in, rocks to sunbathe, shallows to paddle in, and deep spots to dive into from the top of waterfalls. We could leave home in nothing more than our bikinis if we wanted to, and we did! The only problem was it wasn't very social, most of the places we played were (as far as I know) our little secrets.

They sound like happy memories :)
It's a good spin on the subject actually - we should never underestimate the amusement we can create for ourselves just by getting outside and exploring the world around us a bit - I have a great memory of scaling a Tor in Devon when I was younger - the view was incredible, the terrain was challenging, the experience created some bonding between us all, the final leap to reach the top was over a terrifying gap in the rock with a steep drop down the crashing waves and the sense of achievement when reaching the top was awesome - created a memory that's stayed with me just as much as the ones I've described at theme parks and water parks.

Universal Studios in Orlando Florida. The Mummy is an indoor roller coaster ride that sometimes goes in reverse at one point and takes you through a room of fire at another. Other great rides include Spider-Man and Harry Potter.

Universal Studios in Orlando Florida. The Mummy is an indoor roller coaster ride that sometimes goes in reverse at one point and takes you through a room of fire at another. Other great rides include Spider-Man and Harry Potter.

All of the Harry Potter rides are well worth the time and money. Jurassic Park is also really fun

What's New

4/29/2024
Check out the TMF Gathering Forums to see who is meeting when and where!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back