• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Golden Age Daredevil Comics No. 11 Cover. M/f

C.A.B.

3rd Level White Feather
This has been posted over the years, I'm sure. But I came across this nice huge scan again today while researching Tales of the Desperate Issue 2 and I thought I'd throw it up here. Printed in the 1940's. it kinda dovetails into my pet theory: We've Always Been Here. The liner notes are as follows:

Daredevil Comics #11
Publisher: Lev Gleason
Era: Golden Age
Issue: 11
Grade: G+
Page Quality: COW
Classic Bondage-Torture Cover with Quasimodo, Claw vs Ghost, Slap the Jap" Game Centerfold 6/42 C.Biro Cover & Art B.Wood C.Hubbell D.Briefer B.Montana J.Robinson Art

Grading Notes: Cover is Loose, small edge and spine chips, but overall readable with nice colors.

Price: $450.00

Sold

Great stuff. His lickle technique needs work but still, I like his style.

Amazing cover art. :feets: Not that I would have bought for $450, though. :D

hmmm... I'm no mathematical wizard like you, Milz... but if it was bought for 10¢ in, say, 1942, adjust for inflation, and the original owner sold it for $450.00 today, that makes a net profit of...... % % ???

Still, the cover image is 'priceless!'

I've seen the cover over the years but never a scan so large! Good one, C.A.B.!

Just goes to further enhance The Greatest Generation. ;)

So many remarkable things about this cover. Slap the Jap 2nd version... the tickling... but most of all, that monster's eyes (?!?!)...

Good catch on the Monster's eye. Just when I thought the slap the jap was the most offensive thing on the cover.

It must have started the "just-removed-heels-discarded-close by" trope, as well, eh? I remember the first time I saw this image - perhaps 15-20 years ago - and after regaining my composure, my first thought was, "If I had been a 40's comic artist and also entertaining a rich fetish fantasy life along these lines,.. "would I try to sneak one in like this?" Pretty sure I would have, though this one could hardly be called sneaking. Landmark image for a lot of folks, I'm sure. Bravo.

It must have started the "just-removed-heels-discarded-close by" trope, as well, eh? I remember the first time I saw this image - perhaps 15-20 years ago - and after regaining my composure, my first thought was, "If I had been a 40's comic artist and also entertaining a rich fetish fantasy life along these lines,.. "would I try to sneak one in like this?" Pretty sure I would have, though this one could hardly be called sneaking. Landmark image for a lot of folks, I'm sure. Bravo.

Interesting points, Pied. I'm convinced there was also at least one of us also working in Max Fleischer Studios from the early 30s on.

$450 is not a bad price on that. Cavum bought one in the last couple of years through a Lone Star Comics auction (outbidding me :) ) and now has it hanging in his dungeon.

The cover is awesome. I've always wondered about the content of the comic and if that has survived. Would there be any scene build up and tickling before she's rescued?

So does anyone know if the actual story of the comic involved tickling or if this is an early example of cover art not matching the inside content of the book?

I've been told this cover has nothing to do with the contents of the issue itself. (I haven't read it, but that's what I've heard by a few sources.)

In the Golden Age of comics, each issue had several short stories and the cover content was decided upon by the editor. That's why so many covers from the 1940's and 50's seem so whacky and/or have little to do with the actual issue itself. It wasn't until the 1960's, with the start of Marvel Comics, that issues became "full size" stories, in large part due to Jack Kirby's work speed. The other companies then followed by example.

I've been told this cover has nothing to do with the contents of the issue itself. (I haven't read it, but that's what I've heard by a few sources.)

In the Golden Age of comics, each issue had several short stories and the cover content was decided upon by the editor. That's why so many covers from the 1940's and 50's seem so whacky and/or have little to do with the actual issue itself. It wasn't until the 1960's, with the start of Marvel Comics, that issues became "full size" stories, in large part due to Jack Kirby's work speed. The other companies then followed by example.

It was common practice, even in later years to this day, where the covers had little to do with the stories because of several reasons:

1.) Often the covers were done way ahead of the content production department.

2.) Covers were often farmed out to different artists that may not be in tune with the day-to-to day work on the book

3.) Sometimes the book would try to shoehorn the idea the cover artist had into the story. "Hey look, he did a really cool monster, lets write that in somehow".

4.) This is probably the number one reason: The covers had to SELL the book. They had to be over-the-top, action packed, and sensational.

Most people do not realize what an insane pace these shops worked at in those days. Mostly, "Done" was better than "Done Good".

I remember many an Ironman issue from the silver age, where I couldn't wait to get home and read about Ironman saving a falling building, and a girl, whilst simultaneously being melted by an evil arch villain... only to read the book and see it was some boring story arc issue that took place mostly in offices, in business suits, and head shots talking and talking and talking.... and the villain finally shows up on the last page on the last panel, "to be continued". DAMMIT! SKUNKED AGAIN!!!

Last edited:
The comic can be read here: comicbookplus.com/?dlid=40270 (copy and paste link)

Unfortunately its true. The story inside has little to do with the cover. Interestingly, there is a bit of foot torture in one of the later stories (One of the stereotypical mongoloid villains tries to get one of the heroine protagonists to divulge some information by burning her toe with a smoldering piece of fuse cord or metal. Not my thing, but I'm sure someone will appreciate it.) Other than that, enjoy it for its typical golden age comic fare of blatant war propaganda :p

Got the comic framed on my wall :D

And no, there is no tickling in the comic itself. Just the cover....

398743_10151154250401595_1051077339_n.jpg

Got the comic framed on my wall :D

And no, there is no tickling in the comic itself. Just the cover....

Faaaaaaeeennnnn! How many krone did you plunk down for that puppy?

What's New

5/11/2024
The TMF Art and Story Archives collect some of our communities best creators work in one place!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back