• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

'Great' films you just didn't get

Vanillaphant

TMF Master
Well hullo dere!

So I think we’ve all, at some time or another, watched a film that we were told is a classic, but which for whatever reason left us feeling disappointed/underwhelmed, wondering what all the fuss is about. So, as regards members of the forum, I would like to know what those films are!

What inspired me to start this thread was a recent (and my first, obviously) viewing of ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’. Now. I am not what you could call a film buff; and I realize that this is a choice which is likely to have such people – and sci-fi fans, of course – spluttering with indignation. “You don’t like 2001: A Space Odyssey?! But it’s a masterpiece! It’s the best sci-fi movie ever made! The images, the special effects…” I know, I know. But I found it boring, OK? So, you know… Fuck it! lol

Anyone?

(Cheeyers! :))

The English Patient won nine Oscars including the top prize, for best film of the year in 1997.
I hated it. It was BORING.
I couldn't wait for it to be over.
I sat there thinking, "Die! Die already so this film will be over!"

On The Waterfront (1954), starring Marlon Brando.

Boring as shit.

2001: A Space Odyssey is 100x better after you read the book.

Never understood the cult following of "Donnie Darko". Parts just did not make sense to me and it all seemed a little emo. I also took a film class in college and totally did not get "Hiroshima Mon Amour" or Fellini's "Toby Dammit"

Chicago is right about 2001 but I liked both and I'm pretty sure I read the book after seeing the movie.

Oh, Brother Where Art Thou? -- No sir, I don't like it.

Yeah, Donnie Darko sucked, and Blair Witch Project sucked too.

The Accidental Tourist - I can't watch anything with Geena Davis and not be reminded of those 2 hours of my time wasted.

Nine - My mind and my ass went numb watching it.

Chicago is right about 2001 but I liked both and I'm pretty sure I read the book after seeing the movie.

Oh, Brother Where Art Thou? -- No sir, I don't like it.

Yeah, Donnie Darko sucked, and Blair Witch Project sucked too.

I also enjoyed both, but without dialogue, the book definitely helped fill in holes for me that were in the movie

Most Woody Allen films. Don't get it at all.
Maybe it's the Jewish/NYC way of life, I might be missing something. I've never lived in NYC.

The Kings Speech sucked and so did There Will Be Blood. I did like Donnie Darko.

- chicago
Or if you see the quite enjoyable but unambiguous sequel, 2010 (1984).

Most of the movies people are mentioning here are either Oscar bait or film geek movies. There Will Be Blood is a masterpiece, but if you're not familiar with the type of filmmaking--Altman films, 1970s westerns and history epics--then it merely seems slow and unbalanced because it's an old-fashioned type of movie for an audience that has a taste for variety beyond just being entertained. The audience that liked The English Patient? Most of them were, again, film geeks and international audiences, which have a different expectation of film content. This is why a lot of Best Foreign Films are boring as shit because there's a level of art aesthetics incorporated into it--literature, painting, etc.--that those audiences are used to but most American audiences are not. Filmmakers usually make films for 1 of 2 audiences: 1) people who wanna have fun and 2) people who know the medium and its principles. You can rarely satisfy both at the same time, but when you do, the work is usually legendary (The Godfather, The Shawshank Redemption, Back to the Future, etc.) and often impossible to replicate.

The Oscar bait is a mixture of both because there's not just film-geek appeal, but artistic pretension to it as well. The Academy likes to pick movies--especially foreign movies--that feel important and pregnant with significance, but aren't particularly enjoyable. It's the Western idea that good things are bad for you and bad things are good for you because pleasure can be deceptive but pain never lies. That's why you can't really trust Oscar nominations because there's more politics and elitism in it than actual comprehension of what makes a good film.

MY PICS

Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)
I get gaping jaw-drops for this because lots of geeks consider this his best film. I find it to be a mixture of Hitchcock's best craft with his worst indulgences: blondes, Freudian sexual metaphors, and caricaturized obsession (post-War James Stewart did anger well; insanity, not so much) with a threadbare mystery that is positively ludicrous and has a preposterous ending. He did better many times before and after.

Magnolia (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999)
I consider Anderson the best American director living, but just like Vertigo, this is just a giant masturbatory monument of personal indulgence; in this case, of 90s indie-filmmaking quirkiness-as-cleverness tropes. Cross-cutting parallel storylines, powerful overwrought performances about meager sentiments, and the hyperkinetic photography designed to emphasize the hackneyed concept of coincidence all make this a big clusterfuck of ideas and cliches that Anderson thought went well together. It may be his most personal work, but I consider There Will Be Blood to be his magnus opus. Robert Altman did the same thing but better (Short Cuts, 1992) and he did it without the raining frogs.

Chicago (Rob Marshall, 2002)
It takes a lot to make me walk out of a movie, but watching Renee Zellweger and Richard Gere ham up a hackneyed melodrama about a Depression-era hoofer trying to game the system to get out of prison had what it took. I tend to dislike musicals in general because they tend to substitute theatrics for exposition rather than the expression of emotions, but the juxtaposition of non-singing with singing segments really rattles me: I feel like I have to wait until the music is over before I can get my brain back into paying attention. But the artifice of this just rattled me and I had enough, walking out at the halfway point. To this day, I could not give a shit about how it ended.

Pretty Woman (Gary Marshall, 1990)
I will defend Gary Marshall's right to make mawkish, melodramatic, cliched pap to the death, but you can't make me defend it as anything other than "pure shit." What was originally a damn-near Cassavetes-level dark script about a strung-out hooker shacking up with a rich client to make enough capital in a weekend to finance a trip to Disneyland became a Hollywood-ized "Hooker meets Cinderella" story that inexplicably made Julia Roberts palatable to goddamn near all of America and, along with When Harry Met Sally, revitalized the romantic comedy industry and made the 1990s a wasteland of Meg Ryan and Julia Roberts "ain't she cute?" doggerel. I found the concept and execution so fucking artificial that I turned it off halfway through and never picked it up again. I still have no intention of doing so.

Requiem For a Dream (2000, Darren Aronofsky)
Despite his knack for churning out predictable Oscar-baiting cliche textbooks (Black Swan, anybody?) in the last few years, Aronofsky is still a favorite of mine. That said, this hyper-stylized depiction of heroin junkies trying to maintain and score during a heroin drought is so stylized that it gets in the way of the misery its supposed to depict. While virtually everyone I know who's seen it talks about how bleak it is, I find that it's not so much bleak as much as it is blunt: the 9th-circle denouement in which everyone hits rock bottom is so overwrought that it feels forced and overdone, and lacks the simplicity that makes horror so powerful. That said, it boasts strong performances from the always-stellar Ellen Burstyn and the surprisingly effective Marlon Wayans.

Scent of a Woman (Martin Brest, 1992)
In 1992, Al Pacino made two films. One was a blistering powerhouse of acting and writing that made for some of the best filmmaking in the entire decade; the other was this piece of troped-out shit that featured Pacino playing a (rare for the time) scenery-chewing blind ex-soldier named Slade (really?) who is intent on one last romp before killing himself and taking a neurotic prep school delinquent (a loose term at that) as his seeing eye dog. In the movie, he gets laid with a beautiful woman he identifies by scent (hence the title), fucks with his family at dinner, and drives a car by the waterfront, somehow managing to fake out a cop who finds nothing suspicious about a man who's eyes don't move. Pacino makes a spectacle out of himself in a way that most Academy-hunting actors do: over-the-top and histrionic almost devoid of sufficient motivation. The concept is ludicrous and the logic it follows to the end is insulting. BTW, that first movie was Glengarry Glen Ross, which is worth ten times the Oscars that Scent took home.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Milos Forman, 1975)
This by-the-numbers Oscar baiting depiction of Hollywood mental illness swept the Oscars clean and pretty much established the foundation of depictions of the mentally ill in films ever since. It was also the start of Jack Nicholson's tenure as iconic maniac that he played much better in The Shining 5 years later and The Last Detail 2 years earlier. There's nothing so much wrong with the performances, but the story, which--to be fair--takes place prior to the cultural revolution and its ensuing pharmaceuticals of the 1960s, is quite predictable and skull-bashingly obvious in its destination and use of metaphor. It's saved by its willingness to go dark in the end, but it's not enough to really salvage the concept from its maudlin trappings.

The Prestige (Christopher Nolan, 2006)
I like Nolan, but sometimes he's too clever for his own good. I find that most people like this movie because it's non-linear narrative is SO disjointed that they can't piece it together all the way and think they've been truth-bombed by a movie that's smarter than they are. In reality, the plot of two competing magicians in the 19th century is simple and overdone. The "truth" about Christian Bale's character is obvious before the 1st Act is over, and the idea that Tesla creates an actual cloning device by accident is a shoddy way to use cliche to fix a plot hole (Fincher did it with Fight Club, but that film was never supposed to be taken seriously). I like the style of the film, but when you look at it, this is a revenge film where the vengeful party is truly wronged and has a pretty damn good reason for doing what he does; I just think that over-editing the film like a magic trick to flesh out the story was the wrong way to do it.

Underworld (Len Wiseman, 2003)
Saving the worst for last, this film catapulted the emo aesthetic into the genre film where it stayed throughout the '00s until Twilight finally burned it out. A product of Blade and Blade II, this Euro-Techno-influenced movie about the war between vampires and werewolves is basically a music video made by a film student who only watches John Woo and Kurt Wimmer movies. The entire cast lives in Hot Topic clothing and PVC (in a world where everybody else seems to wear trench coats and goth-rave gear) and proceeds to out-shoot The Matrix in terms of firing guns and looking cool, and saving a chosen one who will change the future of the war. I still to this day cannot believe I watched not only this movie but also the first sequel.

I sat there thinking, "Die! Die already so this film will be over!"

lol! Well as long as you didn't shout it at the cinema. People tend to frown on that sort of thing. lol

Chicago is right about 2001

Oh well NOW you tell me! :D

I might give the book a bash anyway. I'd be interested to see whether I get more enjoyment out of it than I did the film.

Blair Witch Project sucked too.

Oh I liked Blair Witch Project! I found it - um - atmospheric...? Yes, let's go with atmospheric. And the plot was, er... well... I mean aesthetically... some of the shots were really... you know... Na, you're right, it's kind of a shit film. I still enjoyed it though. lol

Most Woody Allen films. Don't get it at all.

I don't mind some Woody Allen films... But I have to say, I don't really understand why the likes of Annie Hall and Manhattan are revered quite so highly.
Personally, I'd rather read WA's prose than watch his films. His little skits and monologues are hilarious!

Citizen Kane
Apocolypse Now
& Blade Runner

Are all "classic" films that leave old wolfie cold :)

Taxi Driver was without a doubt pure torture to try and watch. My wife and I watched it together and kept waiting to see why it was popular. Still wondering to this day.

Taxi Driver was without a doubt pure torture to try and watch. My wife and I watched it together and kept waiting to see why it was popular. Still wondering to this day.

Taxi Driver was a zeitgeist movie: it tapped into the collective malaise in the post-60s economic downturn where oil embargos, international terrorism, infrastructural decay, the failure of Vietnam and the devastation of the Pentagon papers & Watergate destroyed all the remaining optimism that had previously been associated with American identity. Travis Bickle was a lost soul who couldn't connect to people who believed sincerely that he was a good person who wanted only pure things and strove to be a great man who stood up for what was right...but failed to realize that he was a delusional, obsessive, and dissociative personality with PTSD who was also suffering from sleep deprivation and amphetamine psychosis. His seemingly benign resentment over being ignored by an indifferent society of people too worried about their own problems to sympathize with him appealed to lots of people who felt that they too, had been abandoned by the machine of society and wanted to lash out against an enemy they felt put them there.

The fact that he also bought a lot of guns and killed a pimp, a mobster and a john abusing a child prostitute also seemed heroic to a public that took issue with the criminal after-effects of the drug culture and economic crisis.

It was also a movie that gloriously combined glamorous photography with grungy naturalism to create a look that made it as iconic as the city in which it was shot. All that was very popular at the time, from movies as early as 1971 (The French Connection) all the way to 1979 (Alien), because decay was seen as an honest and authentic recreation of real human life. Even Star Wars did the same with its lived-in look, but ironically, Star Wars was the movie that started to turn the trend around by injecting fantasy back into the culture.

But watching it again, it feels like RoboCop: very rooted in the time it was made and has dated a bit poorly. If you understood the context of the period in which it was made, you can probably appreciate it greatly. But if you watched it as a movie just by itself, you would probably think about it as you do McNoodle.

I thought of a couple more - Gladiator - I thought was terrible. The Matrix - also bad and I do not at all get why so many people like those movies. There's a movie called Equilibrium which I thought was much better.

The Matrix - also bad and I do not at all get why so many people like those movies.

Oh... The Matrix happens to be one of my most favorite and what I consider to be a well-thought sci-fi film.

Not that it matters to anyone.
;)

The first time I saw 'The Usual Suspects' I was about 14 and was completely blown away by it.

I rewatched it in my 20s and realized that the film was just too in love with its own cleverness, and that the plot, such as it was, served basically no purpose other than to set-up the twist at the end (which in retrospect, is itself pretty easy to see coming to anyone over the age of about 20).

What's New

5/6/2024
Check out Clips4Sale for the webs largest one-stop fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back