• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Help with a story

TheJTickler

TMF Poster
I was planning to write a story, but I could use some pointers. I find myself getting to the action within 2 pages and I want to stretch it out without overdoing it or endless descriptions. I have already provided motivation and backstories. Please provide assistance sablesword, tower or any talented writer.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing to get into the action quickly. In fact, it's a legitimate technique to start the tickling right away, with the first few sentences, and then fill in what's going on and who the 'lee and 'ler are. A more common flaw is to wait too long to start the action.

Why do you need to delay the start of the action in your case?

The over all flow of a story is dependent upon the nature of the story itself. Normally, I just write it as I see fit, and let it go the way it naturally needs to come about. If you start inserting things simply to lengthen the piece, then it won't work out well in the end.

I'm not sure how long you intend your work to be, but the longest of mine is about 10, if that's any help.

What are you looking for, as far as advice is concerned? I can give some techniques for lengthening, but just using them to use them isn't really the best of advice, so could you please be more specific? Thanks.

Etc.

Editing to expand upon this with examples.

For example, one thing I had written involved a woman being knocked out with chloroform, or something or other (I didn't include a specific then due to it's first person nature(third, not omni specifically, so it only followed that persons viewpoint), though it was actually third if I recall - she wouldn't have known), waking up within the next paragraph, barefoot and alone in a chair. Another paragraph for the description of the room, and the tickling had ensued. Jumping into the tickling (well not exactly but close enough) worked for this story for a lot of reasons, the major of which being the viewpoint. Had it been from the kidnappers viewpoint, though, it would have been a much more arduous beginning. She would have to plan the kidnapping, hide in the lab, do the chloroform thing, then transport and prepare her victim for the tickling. It's much different.

I mean, if I need to pass two days or so, then it needs to feel like two days. It can't just be, oh she woke up and went to sleep, or traveled twenty odd hours to this place. That just doesn't work. The character needs to travel; needs to describe the boringness of traveling, and take notice of particular trees or clouds that don't necessarily stand out, but catch her interest simply because there is nothing going on. If, say, she were running from home, and was not to arrive at the destination where I want the tickling to ensue for another week... it would be silly of me to begin the tickling immediately. But then, I could also start it off as she is in the stockade or whatever, and is flashing back to the events that led up to it, but I certainly wouldn't be able to include the non-chalantness of life that way, as that tree or that cloud wouldn't have made a lasting impression on the character, anyway.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that it's a case-by-case call. There are any number of a hundred or so small things you can do, from description to inserting sub plots, but if the story doesn't call for them on it's own, then recommending them is silly.

Double etc. Or etc. squared.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how long you intend your work to be, but the longest of mine is about 10, if that's any help.

A minor peeve of mine: Expressing the length of a story in "pages." It doesn't tell me anything, because it doesn't, really, mean anything.

The standard measure of a story's length is the word count. A story that's 10 "pages" long might be anywhere from 1500 to 6000 words long. Or even longer. Or shorter.

So when I'm told a story is "10 pages" long, I remain ignorant of what the writer really means. And that's annoying.

Sure. By itself, any estimation is useless. You need to compare it to the actual work. I agree that saying this or that is ten pages is moot without the actual document in front of you, so you can thumb through and approximate what exactly a page is, but in the same etc any sort of measurement by itself is useless. So too are ideas, words, etc. worthless solely by themselves. A word count probably is slightly more accurate, if only because it'll give me a rougher estimate of words per page, informing me whether or not the writing is dialogue heavy; but then, without a page count, that information is also meaningless. Besides, word count doesn't really inform one of consistency. So, yeah, really just need to have the piece in front of you in order to appropriate length.

I'm biased, though. I'm still in college, where everything is page counts. Seems like in a lot of other classes, pasting large pictures is one way to bypass that. Yeah I have to do an 8 page research paper, but almost all of it is going to be copy and pasted, so how much did I actually write? Not much. Well, that's not true. Actually going for a more scholarly paper, but that's digressing.

At any rate, maybe the first 15% of that story wasn't tickling, which to me seems incredibly low, considering the remaining 85 was all tickling. But yeah, as I said, what works for one story won't for another; if it had been 75% setup and 25% tickling... well, it wouldn't have, because of the situation.

Etc.

What's New

6/9/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday eve at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back