• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

I'm beginning to hate this..

..Glamorous..

Verified
Okay so, once again for my Interpersonal Communications class, I have to get the opinion from 2 or more people on..

The reasons for the importance of intercultural communication..

Well if you understood the importance......you wouldn't tell a Mexican your going to hit them with a bag of tacos.

:omg: :omg: :omg:

Rob

"We must learn to live together as brothers or we will die together as fools."

-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Does that answer your question Glam? :)

Snail Shell

Okay. I shall elaborate.

The basis of human nature tends towards fearing what is not understood. Fear can grow to instigate other emotions, such as hatred, anger or even violence. Through communication between cultures, be those cultures based on race, religion, sexual orientation, place of birth or whatever else, we understand not only what it is that other cultures do, but why they do it.

A greater understanding of our fellow human cultures, negates a lot of unnecessary fear, anger and hatred towards others. That understanding would be an exceptional step forward as a civilization.

Better?

Snail Shell

Okay. I shall elaborate.

The basis of human nature tends towards fearing what is not understood. Fear can grow to instigate other emotions, such as hatred, anger or even violence. Through communication between cultures, be those cultures based on race, religion, sexual orientation, place of birth or whatever else, we understand not only what it is that other cultures do, but why they do it.

A greater understanding of our fellow human cultures, negates a lot of unnecessary fear, anger and hatred towards others. That understanding would be an exceptional step forward as a civilization.

Better?

Snail Shell

Shoosh, I dunno. I haven't read more than the get opinions part! Either way, I'll use yours. Sounds good to me. LOL

Wait, didn't Knot and I basically already give the two opinions on this?

Okay, one important reason is so whenever someone in Japan breaks another technological item, then we can rely on skills gained with intercultural communication to make sure they don't fuck up again.

Well, I mean, he pretty much nailed it on the button. The problem with society today is that difference is shunned. If you don't fit the criteria 100% you're worthless, and in some cultures, evil. The thing about it is, is that it starts when we're kids. We're brainwashed with one way of life. How we should talk, how we should walk, how we should dress. Which god to worship, and taught that everything outside of that is wrong, or weird. "Hey the Asian kid dresses funny, lets mess up his clothes". "Hey that huys names sounds funny, he must be stupid!" Now some people grow up and move past that and begin to open their mind to other things, but this is only a select few. A majority do not grow out of this. I'm tall, do you know how many people make fun of my height? I'm not a christian, I would be rich if I had a nickel for every time someone has told me I'm going to hell. I'm 25, and this is still happening. Yeah these are very local issues, but it's the same thing with culture. Just because you don't do something a certain way. You're wrong. No matter what the reason. Very, very rarely does someone ever ask... "Well... why do you do it this way?"... "Why do you not eat this?".... "Why do you dress like that... and what does it mean?" "Why do you pray this way?" It's always easier just to write them off and go off their blind merry way. And these people have the nerve to talk about how grown up they are when they are still those little kids picking on the the Asian kid on the playground. We need to open our minds and stop being so quick to judge. "Live together as brothers, or die together as fools"

.... Wow. I just went through and proofread this... I ranted my butt off. I'm sorry. I.. had a rough childhood. Lol... and a rough adulthood. I've been on the receiving end of ignorance more times than I can count. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who can relate. Probably some with more knowledge than me being as I'm so young. Oh well.

Okay, one important reason is so whenever someone in Japan breaks another technological item, then we can rely on skills gained with intercultural communication to make sure they don't fuck up again.

Bwhahahhahahhahahahhahaha!

ILY!

As cynical as I am, I really do believe that humans are more alike than we are different. The more we interact with those we perceive as different, the more we find common ground.

Also, diversity of opinion and thought tends to yield better results. Meaningful crosscultural interaction allows others to consider alternative viewpoints, and accept them or strengthen their own points of view. Either way, thinking is never done enough in this world. We need more opportunities to consider others' views.

*finishes singing kumbaya, puts out the camp fire*

Okay so, once again for my Interpersonal Communications class, I have to get the opinion from 2 or more people on..

There are two ways that different cultures communicate; diplomacy and war. Intercultural communication is important in order to ensure that the former doesn't become the latter.

First. Think of the worst thing anybody ever said to you about your physical,emotional, psychological state.

Second. assume that everybody who looks at you for longer than 0.05 seconds thinks the exact same way.

Third. Assume that no matter what you do or say, nothing will change their opinion.

You will now begin to understand why intercultural communication is rocky and almost impossible to obtain, at best.

Sorry. I don't mean to sound cynical, but if a person is floundering with a question like this, then the state of racial harmony will NEVER exist.

I am not picking on you, personally, Glam. Many individuals don't have an answer to this question.

Not really, anyways.

It is the same, sad old story the world over in regards to issues of homosexuality, women's rights, and cultures, different from one's own.

Meh. I'll go back to my dark place and leave this thread to those who truely put in the effort to help it come to fruition.:xpeepsofa

(raises her hand)

OOoo~pick me? I LOVED this class!

You a Communications major Glam?

I'll give you an example from my real life and see if you might not find it useful (and no biggie if you don't, it's just my interpretation of the assignment) We were recently forced at work to sit thru this "Appreciating Other Cultures" course.

It was in another bldg so I had to walk there and I grumbled the whole time~"Why the fuck do I have to take this stupid course? I'm Italian, my BBF at work is Hispanic and just yesterday I completed an entire application with a patient from Turkey and they didn't speak English~I'm like the bloody United Nations of this hospital~assholes!"

But, I actually ended up learning things. They showed us a film with several different examples. One featured a young boy and his mother in the ER. Neither spoke English. Korean I beleive. The boy had a bad fever, his shirt off and he had these horrendous scratches all over his chest. The doctors, all American were trying to decide if this was a case for CPS. Just then a Korean doctor walked by and saw the scratches, heard the conversation and approached the boy's mother, speaking to her in Korean. The mother made a gesture with her hand, sort of pushing it away from her chest and the Korean doctor nodded. She returned to the doctors and explained how a lot of the old schoolers didn't trust Western medicine. They use an ancient technique called "coining," where they draw/flick a coin VERY hard against a sick person's chest, beleiving they can force out the evil spirits that make you sick in the first place.

Had the doctor not come along, that story might have had a very different ending for that family, see? Pretty cool stuff I thought. Well, good luck with the assignment, hopefully this helped a little.
XOXO

The sharing of ideas is important for averting conflicts.

For example, despite the vast differences between the West and the Middle East, we need to keep lines of communication open so that we can better understand each other. If we close these lines of communication, prejudices develop out of ignorance.

If prejudices become strong enough, extreme actions result. Terrorists are a good example of this. They base their actions on a morality that perceives us as the Great Satan. By the same token, we need to educate ourselves as a society about the cultures outside our own so that we don't end up entering conflicts that are unnecessary or badly planned out.

This is relevant on the global scale with war, but it also applies to more personal things like ethnic conflict in neighborhoods.

In short, this communication is important because most conflicts are ultimately the result of misunderstandings and ignorance.

Perhaps one of the most prevalent reasons for intercultural communication is to bridge the gap between the separations of cultures. Intercultural awareness promotes all inclusive communication; by the same token, no culture experiences exclusion. Additionally, intercultural communication supplements foreign trade, importation partnerships, and perhaps some domestic camaraderie amongst our, exceptionally growing, diverse culture here within the United States.

First. Think of the worst thing anybody ever said to you about your physical,emotional, psychological state.

Second. assume that everybody who looks at you for longer than 0.05 seconds thinks the exact same way.

Third. Assume that no matter what you do or say, nothing will change their opinion.

You will now begin to understand why intercultural communication is rocky and almost impossible to obtain, at best.

Sorry. I don't mean to sound cynical, but if a person is floundering with a question like this, then the state of racial harmony will NEVER exist.

I am not picking on you, personally, Glam. Many individuals don't have an answer to this question.

Not really, anyways.

It is the same, sad old story the world over in regards to issues of homosexuality, women's rights, and cultures, different from one's own.

Meh. I'll go back to my dark place and leave this thread to those who truely put in the effort to help it come to fruition.:xpeepsofa

She's not floundering with this assignment...she's DOING the assignment...which is getting opinions on the importance of intercultural communication. The question isn't "why do you think intercultural communicatioin is important" and Glam is just like "Well fuck if I know." She is supposed to be getting others opinions...

What's New

5/10/2024
Our Welcome forum has a place for you to introduce yourself. Say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back