• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

In memoriam: Dudley Moore

venray

Verified
Moore.jpg

In a story today:

The British-born actor died of pneumonia as a complication of progressive supranuclear palsy, a rare and incurable brain disorder similar to Parkinson’s disease, she said.
There was more than a touch of autobiography in “10,” the 1979 film in which Moore played a musician determined to marry a perfect woman. But the happy ending eluded him in real life. Four marriages ended in divorce.
He confessed to being driven by feelings of inferiority about his working-class origins in Dagenham, east London, and because of his height of 5 feet, 2 1/2 inches. In later life he also spoke of the pain of being rejected by his mother because he was born with a deformed left foot. Moore was the son of a typist and a railway electrician.

DRIVEN BY FEELINGS OF INFERIORITY
Comedians, he said in an interview with Newsday in 1980, are often driven by such feelings. “I certainly did feel inferior. Because of class. Because of strength. Because of height. ... I guess if I’d been able to hit somebody in the nose, I wouldn’t have been a comic.”
Music was Moore’s entree into public performance, first as a chorister and organist in his parish church in Dagenham, near London, and then in 1960 as a young Oxford graduate — he won a music scholarship to Oxford — was recruited for the hit four-man comedy review “Beyond the Fringe.”
“Fringe,” which played two years in London and then moved to Broadway, was perhaps the greatest assembly of young comic talent in Britain in this century. Moore was teamed with Alan Bennett, later a successful playwright; Jonathan Miller, the cerebral opera producer and medical doctor, and Peter Cook, a surreal comic talent and a famously dissipated talent. The satirical revue brought great acclaim from both sides of the Atlantic.

WHIMSICAL HUMOR
Moore’s whimsical sense of humor fitted oddly with the more savage satirical style of his partners. “Apart from his musical contributions to the show,” Cook wrote in Esquire in 1974, “Dudley’s suggestions were treated with benign contempt by the rest of us.”
One of Moore’s celebrated contributions to the show was his impersonation of the pianist Dame Myra Hess, playing a bombastic version of “Colonel Bogey’s March” which he couldn’t seem to end.
Moore and Cook formed a fast friendship and later teamed on television as Dud and Pete on “Not Only ... but Also,” a sketch comedy series. They also plumbed the depths of taste and decency in a series of recordings as “Derek and Clive.”
Cook and Moore made their screen debuts in “The Wrong Box” in 1966, and followed up the next year with another success, “Bedazzled.”
Moore wrote, starred and composed the score for his next film, “30 is a Dangerous Age,” in 1968.
Moore and Cook teamed again in 1971 for a comedy review titled “Beyond the Fridge,” which was a success in London and a smash on Broadway in the 1973-74 season, with the pair winning a special Tony award for their “unique contribution to the theater of comedy.”

I for one will miss him

Ven

http://www.paulgross.org/fringe.html

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Moore,+Dudley

Last edited:
Nice tribute, Ven. I remember seeing "10" when it came to the theaters.(1980 was it?)
Also got a kick out of his work in "Wholly Moses" and "Santa Claus, The Movie".

Drew.

Wow. I hadn't heard that. Thanks for posting about it. I loved "Micki and Maude" where he played a bigomist with Ann Reinking and Amy Irving. Great tickling scenes. :D

Jen

I remember him in Santa Claus....one of the greatest movies ever. RIP Dudley

I got to meet Dudley once at the racetrack. He was with Susan Anton then and was hanging around Paul Newman's pit. Paul was racing the Z back then in IMSA.

I was amazed how short he was especially because he was even shorter than me. But he was a very warm man with a wonderful smile and he seemed to just glow.

We gave him and Susan a ride around the track so they could see it and experience the "cork screw" turn at Laguna Seca. Susan was very calm but Dudley was freaking out! LOL....

God Speed Dudley!

"Blues for Boots"

Nice tribute Venray, as a jazz piano player myself i will miss Dud for his fantastic playing and for me his "Hollywood career" turned his head too far away from his music and he made far too few albums to truly reflect his talent (I treasure the ones i have) its a hard trick to pull off to develop an instantly recognisable style of playing especially under the shadow of so many American jazz piano legends of his era and even more difficult given the largely negative attitude to jazz of any kind in Britain through which he had to fight his way.

I always looked forward to Pete and Duds comedy shows as a budding teenage jazz player because i knew there would always be a Dudly More trio feature in the show and his playing has always been an influence on me and my trio.

If any one reads this who has not heard his comedy piece "And the same to you" go out and get it!! apart from being very funny its also a virtuoso performance and on top of that very cleverly constructed.

All his albums have a sense of fun and humour about them with lots of interesting original material and cleverly arranged standards and musical jokes such as "Lover come back to me " where he can never find the right note to end the number.

A very underated musician (in Britain at least) who I will miss badly.

Dudley proved that us short guys matter, too. I will miss him.

What's New

4/28/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday Eve at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back