• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

In Memoriam: Milton Berle

venray

Verified
Milton Berle, 'Mr. Television,' dead at 93
March 27, 2002 Posted: 7:39 PM EST (0039 GMT)

berle.jpg

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Milton Berle, the acerbic, cigar-smoking vaudevillian who eagerly embraced a new medium and became "Mr. Television" in the dawn of the video age, died Wednesday, a spokesman said. He was 93.

Berle died at 2:45 p.m. (5:45 p.m. EST) at his home after a lengthy illness, publicist Warren Cowan said. Berle's wife, Lorna, and several family members were at his side.

Berle had been under hospice care for the past few weeks. He had been diagnosed with colon cancer last year. Berle's wife Lorna announced in April 2001 that he was suffering from colon cancer and had decided not to undergo surgery.

A television star when the medium was in its infancy, Berle was credited with spurring the sale of millions of televisions to a nation that was still deciding on whether to accept the newfangled box in their homes.

"There was a time ... when people didn't go out of their house on Tuesday night at eight o'clock because Milton Berle was on," entertainer Ed McMahon told CNN at Berle's 90th birthday bash in 1998.

"Uncle Miltie" was the king of Tuesday nights, and store owners put up signs: "Closed tonight to watch Milton Berle." At 8 p.m., four Texaco service attendants sang the "Texaco Star Theater" theme, and then out came Berle, dressed for laughs: a caveman introduced as "the man with jokes from the Stone Age"; a man in a barrel "who had just paid his taxes."

If the audience thought he looked funny in a dress, Berle was happy to oblige. Skits in drag became a trademark.

Berle became such a fixture of American entertainment that he often appeared as himself in films like Woody Allen's "Broadway Danny Rose" (1984) and in "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" (1985).

He was called the "Thief of Bad Gags" and joked about stealing quips -- "I laughed so hard I nearly dropped my pencil," he said of a rival comedian. He stopped at nothing for a laugh.

..and yet another entertainment icon passes on today.

Ven

Uncle Miltie's passing is a loss to the showbiz community. I remember when he was Louie The Lilac on the old Batman series.
Definitely a funny guy.

This has been a heck of a day for losing some of the greats, Ven. Thanks for your updates and tributes, Uncle Miltie was definetly one of t.v.s pioneers. Gotta give him credit for living his life the way he wanted, including putting out his own magazine that was a slap in the face at political correctness.

Drew.

PC

Just think - if he had given up the cigars, he might have lived to age 100! Think of what he would have said if anyone suggested that to him. He'll be missed.

Strelnikov

I actually remember watching "Uncle Miltie" on TV when I was a kid. The whole neighborhood would get together to enjoy his show which was done live back then.

Every so often you get to see reruns of the shows that haven't been lost over the years. That was true entertainment.

God Speed Milton!

AS a fan of old time comedians and their ilk this is truly a blow. But I'd like to leave everyone with something I remember from Uncle Milty on a celebrity variety show. He was doing the old zig-zag magic trick and tickled the belly of the girl in the box. She said "Stop it! I'm ticklish!" Milton responded "I'm Jewish". Af ew minutes later he repeated the action and she said again "I'm ticklish!" and Milton said, "Well, I'd say I'm Jewish again but I never steal my own jokes.":D

Men like him will always be remembered for the lauhgs and the good times they brought to so many. That we all could be remembered like that, eh?

~ Glenn (dropping the nickname here out of respect for the newly passed)

A few jokes from Uncle Miltie

Marriage is one of the few institutions that allow a man to do as his wife pleases.

I'm so henpecked I cackle in my sleep!

A worm has some things going for it. For instance - it can't fall down!

He lives on the wrong side of a one-track mind!

Last month I put in a rock garden. Two of them were dead in the morning!

They should never send up three astronauts in one capsule. Sooner or later they'll start arguing about who gets the seat by the window!

The Army is trying to become more attractive to recruits. In the mess hall now they have strolling violin players.

(A musician) played in Key West. It was the first time I knew what key he was in.

My new parrot must have been raised in a tough neighborhood. He won't talk without an attorney!

I just returned from my vacation. I'm still recovering from bus lag!

A great actor was asked for the ten thousandth time, ''How'd you become a star?'' He answered, ''I started out as a gaseous cloud. Then I cooled.'

Known as "Uncle Miltie" or "Mr. Television

RATT

If I remember correctly he had a hand in the "Round And Round" video that got them into the mainstream.

What's New

4/28/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday Eve at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back