• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

J. D. Salinger, reclusive author, dead at 91

Capnmad

Verified
J. D. Salinger, the reclusive author of "Catcher in the Rye" died yesterday of natural causes. Article here.

A neighbor says Salinger told him he'd written at least 15 unpublished novels that have been kept in a safe in his home.

Never read "Catcher in the Rye." Perhaps he will now find the peace that seemed to elude him in life. RIP Mr. Salinger.

Having been assigned to read "Catcher in the Rye" in high school, I soon read all of his published works thereafter. RIP, Mr. Salinger.

I remember having to read this at school, I have to say it left me completly cold and uncomprehending, maybe I should give it another try. On the other hand I loved and still love "On the Road".

I was so sorry to find this out today. He is one of my favorite authors.

I am curious to see though if they will post any of the works he wrote in his last 50 years of being a recluse. Supposedly he never stopped writing and there are stacks of things just left around his house.

I was always dreading this day because I hoped that he would do a proper interview one day in his twilight for someone who wasn't trying to capitalize on his legend.

And while I respected most of his draconian views of artistic integrity--such as no film adaptations of Catcher in the Rye, and writing only for himself--but if I find that he destroyed or ordered destroyed all of his works upon his death I'll fucking go to his grave, dig up his corpse and beat the shit outta his dead ass.

I am a proud owner of a paperback copy.

Houlden Caulfield is the Huckleberry Finn of the 20th century.

I find that I did not so much as read The Catcher In The Rye as much as having boarded the train with Holden, and gone on his crazy trip. Not a stretch, really; I have hung out with distasteful people just like Holden. I do remember, though, I went through the novel like four or five times. I would sit there, and, like, God, what a whiner, what a complainer. He's a pain in the ass. But, you take Holden Caulfield with you.

This book convinced me that my theory about the disaffection of youth in America being a chronic condition, and not just a symptom of, say, the Age of Aquarius and its aftermath was more than partially correct. Whenever some old American Gothics start waxing poetic about how things were great back in the day because kids were well behaved and called the adults sir and maam and were happy to shovel shit for a nickel, well, we all know better. J. D. Salinger helped paint that clearer picture...

I love The Catcher in the Rye and Franny & Zooey, but I'm really psyched to hear he's dead. That just means that all those manuscripts that ridiculous bastard had been hoarding away for so long will get swiped and published, and I'll have plenty to read!

I love The Catcher in the Rye and Franny & Zooey, but I'm really psyched to hear he's dead. That just means that all those manuscripts that ridiculous bastard had been hoarding away for so long will get swiped and published, and I'll have plenty to read!

Umm...your psyched to hear he's dead???? :faint:

What if his will stipulates that all of his writing from the past 50 years is to be destroyed?

If there's no stipulation in his will and we get to all enjoy the rampant commercialization of his continued works? Awesome!

If there is a stipulation in his will for his works to be destroyed? Even better -- his wishes would be granted. But yes, of course I'm psyched he's dead! A few reasons:

1) The above-mentioned release of otherwise unpublished works if they exist and if there are no legal protections on them;

2) Death always seems to make writers more interesting;

3) Salinger was the subject of a great deal of controversy in his life, given his reclusiveness. It's my belief that this had a negative affect on the way the public viewed him and then subsequently reflected his "craziness" on his works. The Catcher In The Rye was sometimes publicly dissolved into being just a nutcase work by a nutcase author. Now that he's dead, the controversy will fade, and his works can live and breathe on their own for once.

Last edited:
If there's no stipulation in his will and we get to all enjoy the rampant commercialization of his continued works? Awesome!

If there is a stipulation in his will for his works to be destroyed? Even better -- his wishes would be granted. But yes, of course I'm psyched he's dead! A few reasons:

1) The above-mentioned release of otherwise unpublished works if they exist and if there are no legal protections on them;

2) Death always seems to make writers more interesting;

3) Salinger was the subject of a great deal of controversy in his life, given his reclusiveness. It's my belief that this had a negative affect on the way the public viewed him and then subsequently reflected his "craziness" on his works. The Catcher In The Rye was somtimes publicly dissolved into being just a nutcase work by a nutcase author. Now that he's dead, the controversy will fade, and his works can live and breathe on their own for once.

Umm...ugh....

So yay let's all celebrate the death of a genius so we can ram works down the public's throat and over commercialize like we always do to everything now a days. I doubt most of the masses would care anyway and furthermore probably won't care if any of his works get published.

For those of us who are literature advocates, yes it would be nice if he wished some of his works to be published, but it would be much more enjoyable to read something knowing the author condoned the publishing, rather then the author wanting their works destroyed.

Further more, I was under the impression that the controversy following Salinger had faded, expect for the occasional bible (or other holy book) wheeling nutcase who felt "Catching in the Rye" to graphic and should be banned. It is my opinion that those who thought of him as a nutcase may not be that intelligent themselves.

I'm sorry but I can not just accept your excitement over a genius dieing. Thankfully he lived a long life and died of natural causes, but personally your excitement at getting to his private life now that he is dead rather disgusts me. Please let the dead rest for a while. For goodness gracious sake think about his poor family....would you say things like this around them. I honestly hope that you are not this way about everyone who perishes.

I never once mentioned "excitement at getting to his private life"; I expressed excitement at the public getting potential access to a treasure-trove of his unpublished works. My above statement clarified that, if there is no legal protection on these unpublished works, then it certainly would be wonderful to see his other works published posthumously. If Salinger himself desired them not to be released under any circumstance, then I'd be loathe to see the author's wishes disrupted. I think you might have entirely understood my original point (which was first offered slightly tongue-in-cheek, though I'm well aware that sarcasm isn't always that clear over a keyboard).

Salinger's death is chance for his legacy of seclusion (which many people who had only a cursory knowledge of him viewed negatively) to fade, and for his works to be appreciated outside of the shadow of their author.

I apologize if my "celebration" of a literary figure's death disturbs you, but I trust Salinger's agent to protect his works in the way that Salinger would deem most acceptable. He had an immensely intimate relationship with his agent, who defended Salinger's writerly wishes time and time again over the years. There was a situation several years ago where Salinger's agent roadblocked the release of an "unauthorized" sequel to The Catcher In The Rye through court hearings and proper legal processes. I have no doubt that if further Salinger works get released, it will have been done with his wishes through his agent.

I'm just looking at Salinger's demise in a completely different way. What a pivotal day for our national literature -- and the literary world -- if an unreleased collection of Salinger's manuscripts could see publication.

Wishful thinking doesn't make me a cold-hearted prick, it just makes me an avid reader hungry for more.

What's New

5/14/2024
If you ned to report a post, click the report button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back