• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Joan Rivers Passes Away..

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
www.msn.com.

Joan Rivers passed away today at the age of 81.

She was a very funny lady, and will be missed.

R. I. P. Ms Rivers.

She was a pioneer in being a woman who was a stand-up insult comic when that was a genre for men only.
She was also very funny.
Rest In Peace, Ms. Rivers.

Another legend gone

Yeah...a bleak year this is turning out to be. Although I'm not so familiar with Joan Rivers as others are...I'll be honest, I only saw her once on the Graham Norton show and wasn’t too impressed with her. She came off as a rude ranting old hag, well past her welcome. Then again I don’t know her at all, maybe she was different in her heyday.

As far as insult comics go, Don Rickles still makes me laugh even now. Maybe his approach is different...

Anyway RIP.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone else caught this little Joan Rivers moment from many years ago,.... back when she was the frequent guest host for Johnny Carson, I think,... or maybe one of her own shows.... but it would have gotten the attention of most TMF'ers, I'm sure.

Joan was doing her opening monologue out front on the stage and exchanged a couple of impromptu chatty remarks with a lady sitting in the first row,... you know, girl talk. Turns out the woman had complimented Rivers on the shoes she was wearing and, after a quick size consultation, Joan slipped off the heels and gifted them to the woman in the audience. She then finished the show in stockings only.

For those who didn't really know Joan - best described as a female Don Rickles. Don could get away with the insults, 'cuz he's male. Joan was female - gals weren't supposed to do that kind of comedy (at least when she started). You could say she opened the door for many to follow.

Even for a burgeoning fogey like me, it was hard to get Joan Rivers. I only knew her work AFTER she had become a pop culture curio. I first became aware of her from the voice work of Dot Matrix in Spaceballs and then in the voice impressions Tress McNeille did on Tiny Toon Adventures ("OHH, Can we talk?!"), but beyond that, she was just this crass celebrity whose allure never made sense to me.

Rivers was one of those comedians who went back to standup after her career peaked and declined, very much like Jay Leno. People forget that Leno has been doing standup regularly for decades even during his time as host of The Tonight Show, but almost nobody outside the comedy scene knows about it because he does it in clubs and it goes unrecorded. Rivers was a constant presence on the scene, but again, most of it was never recorded for standup specials or put on the internet so if you weren't there, you didn't see it.

In some ways, she was like Robin Williams: she became famous for an act that was revolutionary for its time, and built a career off that reputation for decades. But while Williams used it to mature his career into something different, Rivers kept it going long past its popularity. I guess it's hard for us now to imagine the revolutionary quality of her early work because it was so long ago and the trail she blazed is larger and wider than it was when she started it that she no longer seemed relevant to us now. The same thing happened to Richard Pryor, with the exception that Pryor's work was documented in legendary comedy specials that never left rotation.

Either way, I still appreciated that some legends never die, they just keep working, and even though I despised the kind of pop culture claptrap she touted, there was something comforting about the ubiquity and reliability of her presence in the ether.

Joan Rivers was absolutely hilarious. Her honesty is what stood out to me the most; she would never apologize for speaking the truth and what was on her mind.

Good, she's a pig for what she said about the Arial Castro survivors. The world is a better place without people like her.

What's New

5/4/2024
The Final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is open! Visit the GFA fouem and cast your ballot!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back