• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Leaving Aflac Insurance..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
I'm hopeful that any replies to this thread will be civil. I've already mentioned this in my blog.. but.. since I posted last year about getting the position at Aflac.. I thought it only fair to post that I will be leaving Aflac Insurance ASAP.

The reasons are many.

I had posted about a one hundred person law firm, that was supposed to sign with us. We met with one of the law partners in June, and have since then had meetings, conference calls, e-mails, etc. We were led to believe it was moving along, and would close before the end of 2014.

My supervisor, Keith, contacted them this week to find out the status of things..

The contact lady at the law firm,. claimed that they had supposedly elected to "hold off" on Aflac until the fall of 2015.

I was of course disappointed to hear this, but I was also very angry. I don't know why they led us to believe they were going to sign for four months, and then did this. If they truly didn't want the insurance.. either currently.. or ever., they should have told us early on, and not led it along for four months.

I'm supposed to be fired Dec 31, unless I get an account "within Aflac rules to sign".

Such has been the problem this whole year.

Either the company's regulations, those of my supervisor Keith, or both, have made this impossible.

The TGIF on Austin St in Forest Hills, where I'm a good customer, has been willing to talk to us. They have insurance for their employees, and their manager said he would talk to decision makers further up in their organization.

Keith has been absolutely unwilling to do this.

I suggested to Keith that we talk to Butch, my former business partner in Market America. I was even thinking of doing an exchange.. of returning into Market America to benefit Butch, and having him and those who he knows buy insurance. Butch is very open minded to things.. I've known him a long time, more than 10 years, and I know he would do it.

Keith refused.. saying "Market America is not a good fit, because it is a "Network Marketing Company".

While I appreciate how Aflac hung with an unknown as I was working to pass the insurance exam in late 2013, Keith's roadblocks.. have made it impossible to function.

As those who know me are aware. I have a stuttering issue.. that I'm working on, so cold calling is an issue for me.

When everything all adds up.. especially considering that the deal with the law firm is not going to happen.. it is best that I leave.

Of course, I'm very sad. I worked very hard to pass the insurance exam.. and to go to Aflac's training sessions, and to suggest clients.

I also expressed to my dad that I was upset for him.

As those who know me are aware.. my dad is 74 years old.

Even with my issues with him, he was very patient with me when I moved here, and still pays my rent.. I wanted to make a good living.. to get off his back.

My dad was very kind. He said he's most upset that Aflac isn't going to work out for me, with how hard I worked on the insurance exam.. and to suggest clients this year. He said he wasn't even thinking of the whole idea of my getting off his back, etc.

I'm planning to leave Aflac ASAP.

I don't want to stay around. until Dec, to allow Keith to be able to fire me.

There's a level of me that believes he would enjoy that.

My speech therapist has suggested that I should get an anything temp job just to make money, something non speaking, while I figure out my next career move. I plan to listen to her, and will contact the temp agency she gave me on Monday.
I needed 24 hours to digest the whole law firm not signing, and it being over at Aflac for me.

I'm hoping that any replies will be civil.

Those who know me, know how much I enjoyed working at Aflac, and how hard I worked to pass the insurance exam.

The rules and regulations on the type of clients one can have.. made it impossible to function.

Last edited:
Mitch I am so very sorry that it didn't work out, but with your license you aren't limited to AFLAC. I'd start applying with other companies, show AFLAC why they should miss you!!! Wishing you well in any and all future endeavors!!! Keep your chin up, sometimes even bad things happen for a reason.

Mitch, I am very sorry to hear that this happened. I know that you worked very hard to pass that insurance exam. Best wishes for the future.

whorf, thank you.

I do plan to do something at another insurance company.. in the future. For the very immediate time being.. I may just take any kind of job. I may need to clear my head for a bit.

Thank you for your good wishes, mils.

They say "When God closes a door, somewhere, He opens a window." I'm sure you will find something better, even more suited to your needs Mitch. This is just a roadblock and you have worked very hard to overcome other obstacles. I'd say good riddance and smile as you leave.

I always say when God closes a door, I crack open a beer :p Jk Good advice Des

In all seriousness, I'm sorry to hear this news Mitch. Just hang in there, I know how you feel. Try not to feel too guilty about borrowing money from your dad, parents are usually happy to help their kids if they can afford it. I've had to borrow some from my parents on occasions and it never feels good, but there's nothing wrong with family helping each other out in times of need.

Thanks, des. What you said is exactly what my aunt the artist said to me yesterday, that things happen for a reason.

Thanks, soda.

Jesus, this Keith sounds like the atypical "boss from HELL". Sorry you had to deal with that crap dude and hope your next job will be alot better and treat you right. Have you thought of sending a letter of complaint to your superiors about "Keith" before you leave?

Thanks.

I make no secret of the fact that I despise Keith. In my opinion, he is a miserable human being.

I understand bosses have their rules and regulations, and want their employees to respect them, etc.

I;m one who believes that if an employee has an idea for a client, that could/will be beneficial to a company, a boss has a responsibility to be open minded, unless the idea is illegal.. or against the rules of the job, etc.

What I most cant stand about him is that he is unyielding, and shoots down every idea I've had for a potential client, without even knowing who he would be talking to.

No big chains. No network marketing companies. No singular clients.

The guy has fucking shot down every idea I've had, without even knowing who he would be talking to.. who could potentially sign.

I'd love to report him. The thing is: As those who know me are aware,. I have a weak resume.. due to this being my first real "job" at a company. I've always been an independent business owner. I may need Keith for a reference/letter of recommendation.

If I do want to leave, and he either fires me then without warning.. or refuses to give me a recommendation, I might well then report him.

It's unfortunate that I was turned over to this guy. The two guys who were so patient with me as I was working to pass the insurance exam.. are no longer in our office. They are now in Chicago. I was turned over to this guy after I passed the exam, and was hired full time. It has been constant hell with him from the get go.

At this point, I just want to resign ASAP and get out of there. There is no reason for me to stay.

Case in point: We have a six hour district quarterly meeting featuring my buddy Keith this Thursday evening.

I would like to be out of there before.

My plan is to approach him about resigning before, and hopefully to have everything finalized so I don't have to show up to the meeting.

I hope this can be accomplished.

Last edited:
I'm surprised your DSC is acting this way. When I worked with the company, mine was much more supportive than this. As long as your able to write any level of business it seems silly to me for any DSC to fire someone. Their business model is comission only though, so you do what you have to do man - good luck!

Darth, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Your DSC was apparently much more supportive than Keith. I post the complete truth when I say he has shot down every idea I have.

Yes, I know their model is commission only. I've been with them ten months and not made a dime due to all these rules, and now this law firm balking at signing after lying and saying they would.

I received a letter saying that I will be fired unless I sign something/someone who Aflac and Keith approve of.

At this point, with all his rules, I just fucking give up.

Everyone knows I'm not a quitter. I didn't quit when I kept failing the insurance exam multiple times.

My view is that Keith and I just don't make it.

I shouldn't be working with/for him.

Last edited:
There is another twist to this whole mess. .. involving..

One of the law partners at the law firm that just balked.

Sometime ago, before I joined Aflac, this lawyer had drawn up a trademark for a business idea I have. He's a friend of my dad's, who my dad does a lot of business with.

While I haven't started the business I want to.. yet.. because of devoting so much time to Aflac this past year.. it's safe to say that if I do decide to start the business which I hold this trademark on, said lawyer in question will definitely NOT be representing me or my company. Simply put, I don't trust the guy.. or his firm.. after they did this. My dad can do whatever business he wants with this lawyer.. It doesn't mean that I have to deal with him.. or trust him.,. or his firm.

Well Mitch, as sorry as I am to see your struggles, I am certainly not surprised and threw you a couple of warnings. Aflac is NOT the place for a newly licensed agent. It's more for the experienced agent with business relationships that you can sell to; new agents are not a good fit at all.

I must ask.....if your stuttering is that strong, what was your motivation to get into a career field where you're constantly talking and under constant pressure to perform? Also, commission work is tough in the beginning and you need anywhere from 3-6 months to start generating an income you can use.

I think you bit off way more than you can chew.....however......

Make sure you keep your CE credits current while you look for other opportunities. Letting your license lapse over CE credits is not smart. Know why I know that? Because that's what my dumb ass did and I've regretted that ever since! If I want an insurance job, I'll have to retake the test.....not a fun venture by any means!

I am concerned about you because temp jobs that would cater to your experience level are more inside sales and customer service jobs. If you have a problem talking over the phone, I honestly don't see how well you're going to do with temp agencies.

Maybe you can research job training programs; you'll be in situations with folks half your age, but if you get job training and certification, it'll be easier to obtain work. Go to your unemployment office; they'll usually know what's going on with job training programs. One of my older sisters is 55 and she had been unemployed for over four years and she had to start all over again through an unemployment training program. She got through all her certifications and now it's time for the job search, but she's doing better than watching television at 3am like she used to. I don't even want to discuss my current employment situation (or lack thereof) and I have two so-called degrees! It's tough out there, but if you're willing to be creative and put some work in (without any excuses), you won't get rich, but you will improve your situation.

Also, go to your nearby college (preferably community college, but if you can do it on a state college level, that's okay too). The community colleges usually have a job board where there can be jobs of almost any work experience level.

If I can come up with any other ideas, I'll gladly share them with you. Don't throw the insurance career away either; with some diligent research, there are other companies you can become a part of that may provide a salary and a management training career track. Your age may work for or against you, but if you learn how to sell your "maturity" as a corporate asset, you just might pull it off. My time availability is NOT what it used to be but if you want to bounce some ideas off me I'll be glad to assist.

And as always, I hope for your best positive outcome.....

kis.. to reply to what you discussed.

I accepted Aflac's offer, because remember.. I have a weak resume. I was 43 years old, and thought it was a good opportunity.

I'll do the CE. I have over a year before I would be in any trouble. I have my license only nine months.

I don't have a problem "talking". It was the whole cold calling thing. Had I been able to.. contact people via email.. I would have sent out many emails, and been in far better shape than I am.

I'll have to look and see what's out there with a temp job. My speech therapist gave me the name of a temp agency that she uses.. so this lady I'm going to talk to.. deals with people with stuttering issues.

Thanks for the offer of help. I will come to you if I want advice.

I appreciate the good wishes.

Something else I've been thinking about.. but.. I may have no control over this..

I can never prove it, and there may be nothing I can do about it even if I can..but..

I'm wondering if my supervisor intentionally "delayed" the situation with the law firm.. knowing I had no other accounts, and that if he waited until next year.. he could fire me, and maybe keep the whole damn account for himself.

He will deny it through the eyeballs. but.. simply put.. he despises me, and it just seemed that he threw every road block in which would impede my success. I don't trust him any further than I can throw him, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he did that.

I probably shouldn't even post part of what I'm planning on doing.. because it hasn't happened yet.

People may remember that when I first joined TMF, I used to be in a company called Market America that is like Amway.

There are partners in that company who make a lot of money.

My mom and I were not able to.. when we lived in Lancaster... and thus had to drop out after 2 years.

I'm going to investigate re entering Market America as one of my work things. because now there is one huge difference.

I have a huge paternal family of many cousins who I'm now in touch with. which I wasn't at the time I was in MA the first time, . that can form a large, quick organization. Most of my business partners in MA at the time I was in the company.. had organizations made up of family and friends.

My dad is these people's financial advisor. I'm fairly certain if he asked them to try it, they would.

If I could get a job for a while, do that, and start the other business I have the trademark on, even slowly.. I would then be on track.

Businesses can build rapidly.. My ex best friend's sister and brother in law are the owners of the Melissa and Doug toy company, and are multimillionaires. . I'm not saying I can or will be as successful as they are, as they started when they were in their mid 20s. However.. I'm not that "old". I still have time to build a business and be successful. My dad built companies, and had his most successful years, when he was just my age, and even older than I am now.

Hopefully, some good track will be worked out.

Last edited:
I must ask.....if your stuttering is that strong, what was your motivation to get into a career field where you're constantly talking and under constant pressure to perform?

I was wondering the same thing. Customers are buying into the salesman as much as they are the product.:wiseowl: I wish you the best of luck, Mitch but there are plenty of jobs in an office environment where you wouldn`t be under such pressure....Time to regroup.

Now.. as if I don't already have enough problems.. I have another issue.

With this new development.. and the law firm not signing.. I want to resign.. immediately.. before Keith has the satisfaction of firing me.

Of all things: My dad, for whatever reason.. is fighting me.. telling me not to resign.. saying it "Looks bad on a resume",

It's like.. what am I supposed to do.. stay around to let time run out, and get fired?

I'm pissed.. because.. '
'
I've played everything all everyone';s way this year.

I';ve been hampered by Keith';s severe rules with who I can sign.

My dad asked me to improve myself.. with going to the gym, and speech therapy.

I've cooperated with everyone, even when it's been against my gut.. like with not being able to approach certain people with work.

I want to resign before the long meeting on Thursday.. so Keith cant stand in my face, tell me the deal with the law firm fell through, and he's just waiting to fire me Dec 31 if/when I don't come through with an account, that meets his mandated rules.

My dad is fighting me, and I don't know why.

If my mom was alive.. she would agree with my decision to resign.

I told my dad that I feel stabbed in the back by the law firm.

What may happen.. is they may just wait until I'm out of the company.. so Keith can keep the whole damn account for himself. I don't trust the law firm,. or Keith.

I don't know what happens next.

Last edited:
Tough break Mitchell. It's unfortunate it didn't work out. Time to focus on the future and move ahead ASAP.

You're in a tough place right now. I agree with your dad here; don't resign. At the same time, don't wait around to be fired! Start hitting the temp agencies (i.e. Kelly Services) and any job posting boards (like Craigslist) to get any position before you're done at AFLAC.

You're in/near a big city full of thousands of other job candidates, which means that's competition for EVERY job.

At the company I'm with, I'm on the "other side" of the application process... deciding who gets an interview, who gets hired/terminated, and so on.

While I don't necessarily agree with Keith's decision-making, I'll give you a little bit of insight on the hiring process. It's not always fair, but you'll be less "attractive" to a new potential employer if you quit/resign or get fired.

Basically, if somebody is unemployed (whether it was their decision or the company's), it's a fact that they will have a more difficult time getting an interview OR getting hired. The most attractive candidates are those that are already employed.

When you're unemployed (regardless of whose fault it is), those are the candidates where you question their motivation for applying at your company. Since they're unemployed, it means they have no income coming in, so are they really passionate about the position, or are they under the gun just to get a job and pay the bills? When somebody's already employed, they don't have that problem.

While it's not your fault, you'll still have to explain to them why it didn't work out, and no matter what you might say to them, some (not all) companies will just write that you didn't succeed at your objectives which is why you got fired.

Since there are thousands of candidates to choose from, a business only wants the best fits, personally and professionally. It's tough, because I've been on that side as well, looking for employment.

So Mitchell... do everything you can to find a temp position WHILE you're employed with AFLAC. It'll make things much easier for now. It doesn't matter what the job is since it's temporary anyway.

They'll at least see you're still employed, and you can tell them you want to get out of the insurance field... want to get into [whatever field the job you're applying for is in]... distance from home... and so on. The ball is in your court with the reason behind leaving, but if you resign and are unemployed during the search, those other questions will come up.

You got this, so start sending your resume everywhere you can ASAP.

A year from now, you want to look back at this time and laugh with how far you've come. You have to do the legwork before then.

Good "luck."

Mitchell, with all do respect to your father, my advise is to continue to GET THE HELL out of Aflac. Don't listen to your Dad. Don't trust this lawyer friend your Dad knows and DON'T trust Keith. Get out while the gettin's good!

I just saw my dad today, but.. we were helping a friend with another matter.. so I really didn't have a chance to talk to my dad alone.

My dad thinks that because they were willing to go past the deadline.. I should sit down and try to talk to Keith, and ask him to extend the deadline while I try to find more clients. My dad also doesn't think I'm being fair by blaming the lawyer he knows for dragging this whole process out. In my dad's opinion, "It looks good for me to be attached to Aflac, even if they do fire me January 1".

I might take one piece of his advice... in that I'm thinking of arranging a meeting with Keith, and discussing the situation. I'm going to tell him that what happened with the law firm isn't my fault, and ask him for more time, and to erase the January 1 deadline. I'm going to ask him to be honest, and that if he plans to fire me January 1, I'm just going to voluntarially leave immediately.

I might have to wait until next week to arrange said meeting. I might just show up to the district quarterly meeting on Thursday, find Keith, and arrange a meeting for the following week with him. We'll still only be in mid November.

About the lawyer. My dad can say what he wants. I still don't have to like the guy, and.. if I do ever start the business I have the trademark on, I'm going to get the paperwork from him, and that lawyer will not be representing me or my company, regardless of what my dad thinks.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but with the problems you listed it seems for the best that you're leaving. Bringing up all the other family drama here probably won't prove to be a good decision tho...

I just registered for the five hour "kickoff meeting". This Thursday at the banquet hall in Queens from 3 to 8pm.

The way I feel.. I'm going to show up at the meeting, listen, and tell Keith at the end that I'm resigning. I might not even tell anyone I know that I'm planning on doing this. My gut tells me this is what to do, unless something unforeseen happens.

A friend of mine, who I will not name, gave me what I think is good advice, and told me not to listen to my family, because.. they have not had my best interests at heart.

I just got off the phone with my aunt the artist, and explained the situation to her. She told me that she understands my desire to want to resign before Keith has the chance to fire me.

The only one who seems to be against that decision.. is my father.. for what I'm beginning to believe are his own reasons that are against my best interests. Without launching into a "Father Rant" in the main forum, I';m seriously thinking of just saying fuck him, submitting my resignation to Keith immediately, and not even telling my father until after the fact.

I'm going to sleep on it, talk to my speech therapist, and then decide what to do.

I just sent Keith, my supervisor, my official resignation letter. This is one of the saddest days of my life, considering how hard I worked for pass the insurance licensing exam, and the dillgence I put in in trying to land accounts.

May my father burn in hell for his insensitivity to this situation.

On the bright side, no one can take away the fact that you passed the licensing test, and you can port that to other businesses. So while this did not work out, you did gain skills, and some credentials.

Myriads

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's New

5/8/2024
The final Vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is now ongoing. Visit the GFA forum to vote!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back