• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Leonid Meteor Shower

That meteor shower we had this morning was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. :cool:

Did anybody else here besides me get up out of bed to check it out?

The Rhythm Doctor

The Leonids are one of the best cosmic occurences you get to see. Glad to see someone else appreciates it!

I decided not to get up and go out unless I woke up on my own...which I often do in the middle of the night. I woke up about 4:30 and went out for a while. It was crystal clear over 80% of the sky. So, it was good for viewing. I just love the night sky!

Ann

PS - I froze my tail off too...unfortunately not literally!:D

Sorry. 4 AM is just a bit too early for me. :zzzzz:

Here in Dallas - as is always the case during spring & fall meteor showers - the sky was cloudy. I took a chance at 4:30, drove north outside of town,parked and looked around......nothing...too cloudy. But just as I was leaving I looked STRAIGHT up. Over my car was a hole in the clouds and I got to see 10 meteors in 15 minutes before the clouds sealed up. It was great!

Cold but by far worth it!

We were on vacation in a terrific viewing spot in upperstate NY
and saw about 200+ between 4:30 and 6 AM. The entire family went out to watch this event.

I've seen many a "shower" before, but this was more of a storm combined with a light show. Great way to finish off the vacation!

Ven

Thanks for the replies so far to this thread, everyone!

Now here's a question: Who here was around in 1966 to see the Leonid Meteor Shower back then? The reason why I ask this is because NASA reported this year's shower to have "800-1000 shooting stars between 4am and 6am ET", while the one in 1966 reportedly had 500,000 shooting stars in a one hour period. That sure sounds like one crazy-ass light show to me! Who here saw THAT happen? :cool:

The Rhythm Doctor

Sadly I wasn't around to see that, but I did see the recent shower, er, I think the upgraded it to storm. Anyway, I had about 9 people over to watch it with me, I had a count of 111, not that many, but I only had about 15% of the sky to look at. Nature, even if it's not part of our planet, is so beautiful.

I saw clear skies in the forecast, so I made plans to get up at 4:45 a.m. and watch the meteor shower, which I've never done before. We bundled up so we weren't cold, lay on the blanket and looked up. Yes, it was fascinating to watch. I was surprised to see meteors in all parts of the sky. It was especially fun to watch several very bright meteors that left a comet-like trail that remained for a half minute. The next morning I told my ten-year-old that this was way cooler than anything you can do on the computer or dvd (well almost anything) but he didn't agree. The gadgets of the 21st century have taken us yet another step further from nature -- but that's the subject for another discussion.

I was only 4 in 1966...so I didn't see it. As for Sunday morning, though I only stayed out about 20 minutes, I'd estimate that there were at last 50 in that time period. I don't think I caught the peak of it. Bu, it was still beauiful.

Ann

Sadly I did not hear about it til Sunday afternoon. However, I saw one shooting star around 12:30 that night when I was outside with my girlfriend at her house. It was one of the longest ones I've ever seen before. And then a few minutes later my girlfriend caught one that I missed. I'm sure there will be another shower for me to watch later in life.

I saw it while visitin' in LA for the munch down there. Had to drive into the hills somewhere around Claremont for a good look, and got stuck on a hill when a bunch of blockheads left their cars in the middle of the road, but it was a fine thing to see.

Disney was pretty good, too. New theme inna Haunted House was amusin'.

dvnc

Leonid Shower 1966

I watched it from an air mattress in my back yard. Absolutely first rate light show!

I missed the latest - cloudy here - oh well, there's always 2099 to look forward to.

Strelnikov

What's New

4/27/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the webs largest clip store! Get details by clicking the C4S banners
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back