• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Little question about my career

ichbins

TMF Poster
Hello everyone!

I was wondering what people here with a bit more of life experience would say to a little dilemma I'm facing at the moment.

Thing is, I'm 24 years old, have studied Philosophy and got a Master's degree in it. Now in Autumn 2018 I started a Biomedicine degree, since I've always been interested in the natural sciences. Now, after 2 semester, I passed all exams except 3, of which I'm now repeating two and chances are looking good that I can continue doing the degree.

But I'm a bit wondering if studying all throughout my 20's will be something I will possibly regret in the future. I will finish the degree when I'm approximately 29 years old, and I know that a lot of people are probably already working and living on their own at that age.

So do you think I should continue, thereby having chances to build a career that is giving me security and also joy, but also losing a bit of independence in my 20's? Or should I consider stopping the degree, search a work around journalism/writing/advertising (something like that) which would also be nice but of course it's not a "safe one" when it comes to security, but I'd be able to live on my own and live a bit of a "freer" life. Currently I'm still living with my mother e.g., I'm not unhappy with the situation, but of course it brings disadvantages when you're in your mid 20's.

What do you think? Has any of you faced similar dilemmas? I'm curious about your opinion!

Regards

Hello!

I have faced the exact same dilemma as you. I studied until the age of 28, and landed my first job some two months and a half after graduation (essentially, as soon as I had recovered from the hangover that had followed the party :p)

I often felt a slight complex of inferiority towards the people who studied less but went on to experience "real life" firsthand. My wife graduated with only a bachelor at 21 and embarked thereupon onto a successful career. I always felt (and I still do feel) a slight difference in maturity between us. Not a huge one, but it is there. I often wonder what my life would be if I had simply graduated with a Master's and looked for a job then and there.

So I understand how you feel: I've been there. However don't be too frustrated: a PhD definitely comes with its perks. You're considered an expert in your field, people call you "doctor" wherever you go, and you can ask for bigger paychecks, advantages and positions. Granted, you can get those without a shiny degree, but you'd have to fight twice harder for them. And this is IMO the main advantage: by continuing to study, you're denying yourself an immediate pleasure in order to get a bigger payoff in the long run.

It's not for everyone though: it's a lot of work and it is not very rewarding in and by itself. The period I was studying for my own PhD had been the lowest point in my entire life. I was living like a monk, money was tight and I seldom saw people or watched trendy stuff/played trendy games. But when I got my first job? Oh boy was it worth it ^_^

If you do go for the degree, I would recommend two things: first, get your own place. It helps tremendously to manage your own budget and deal with issues without your parents' support. Plus you can bring home trainloads of girls without any problem. I moved out of my city at the age of 20 and out of my country at 24, and it taught me a lot. Second, get a hobby, preferably a cheap one and something that does not require a lot of thinking so you can get away from the books once in a while.

Last edited:
If I could change one thing about my life, I would spend more of my teens and 20s creating a solid foundation for the rest of my life to be built on.

My advice would be to get that degree.

Somehow, good career accomplishments start in the early 30's - it's the time when you are not as young and yet already reliable and ripe for serious work responsibilities. So don't worry about extending studies in the 20's. In fact, it is more attractive that you don't just drift. :)

Second, get a hobby, preferably a cheap one and something that does not require a lot of thinking so you can get away from the books once in a while.

Made me LOL on getting a cheap hobby! It's hard to find one... but if you meant tickling, then we're all good. :D

Made me LOL on getting a cheap hobby! It's hard to find one... but if you meant tickling, then we're all good. :D

Hahaha, I'm speaking from experience :D One of my hobbies, namely my passion for miniature wargaming, sometimes weighs a little on the family's budget, but I am reasonable enough to keep it in check, thanks goodness :blush:

Yes, tickling is completely harmless on the wallet, hopefully. And for those artists on Patreon and MTJ, or the filmmakers who own tickling studios, it is sometimes even profitable. Granted, not Warren Buffet-levels profitable, but still ;)

Hahaha, I'm speaking from experience :D One of my hobbies, namely my passion for miniature wargaming, sometimes weighs a little on the family's budget, but I am reasonable enough to keep it in check, thanks goodness :blush:

Yes, tickling is completely harmless on the wallet, hopefully. And for those artists on Patreon and MTJ, or the filmmakers who own tickling studios, it is sometimes even profitable. Granted, not Warren Buffet-levels profitable, but still ;)

Oh wargaming - and that's a legitimate toys for the big boys! I think that's cute. There is also a part of me wanting to return to miniatures on the girl's side -- and that is making small clothes for dolls. :D And as for those damn MTJ artists who claim to be paid hobbyists (cough), indeed they don't earn at buffet-levels, but I tell you, they are always glistening, evil and bullish deep inside. I don't know why! :D :D :D :rockon:

Oh wargaming - and that's a legitimate toys for the big boys! I think that's cute. There is also a part of me wanting to return to miniatures on the girl's side -- and that is making small clothes for dolls. :D

I love how you call my hobby "cute" and then double down with something even cuter ;) In fact, in levels of cuteness, we have now possibly reached the top-level. Now I am really frying my brain to try to find a "Buffet-equivalent" in terms of cuteness :D

And as for those damn MTJ artists who claim to be paid hobbyists (cough), indeed they don't earn at buffet-levels, but I tell you, they are always glistening, evil and bullish deep inside. I don't know why! :D :D :D :rockon:

Hahaha :gbtoast: Color me impressed :goodjob:

See, this could spawn a whole nother side thread for me. But I don't want to hijack this thread too badly so perhaps another time and another place. :)

Well, there is a gaming subforum, so feel free to drop by anytime ;)

Hey, I initially went to school for music... nobody could save me from myself and my dream to be a rockstar to shout at the world.

You at least have insight enough to know you're not far enough along. I did too but that first dip in the educational pool is the easiest. So I say if you know what you intend to do with it, finish and then worry about your work life or whatever.

I love how you call my hobby "cute" and then double down with something even cuter ;) In fact, in levels of cuteness, we have now possibly reached the top-level. Now I am really frying my brain to try to find a "Buffet-equivalent" in terms of cuteness :D

We have not hi-jacked the thread after all, because some unspoken part of a having career has to be about taking this bunjee lunch, not at Mc Donald's, but at MACD erm I mean... LMFAO! Where have you been all my life? For a decade I am rotting here, I never heard anyone drop the lunch-buffet password around here, srsly! Before I annoy the rest... I'd say, the can of worms had been bloody spilled... Mwahahahahahaha! You must be my buffet solemate, now I am laughing hard!!!! :D :yayzorz::omg:

Funny, I feel the same towards you ;) :toast:

I really lol-ed at the "MACD", so true :D Posh missile incoming, everybody get down! :laughhard:

Hahahaha! I tell you in the Monthy Python way: The RESISTANCE is immovable and killing me -->>> some two (2) bilingual, ariSTOCHASTIC idiots took down the forum courts and built the tower of babel! :laughhard:

Back to the OP, just make sure that all your plans of further studies won't be affected by any unavoidable circumstances like having a relationship that ends in having a kid. So I reiterate, if you have enough budget to take the 2nd degree, then do so, just make sure that it will make you happy.

What's New

4/27/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the webs largest clip store! Get details by clicking the C4S banners
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back