• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Marines are Navy???

Just for the record, I wasn't talking about high school history classes. I was talking about Marine Corps-taught history classes. I know this thread is already going way past this point, and it doesn't really matter, anyway, but I just wanted to clear that up. By all means, please return to your history debate. :)

Tron, I found that quite...............

interesting. Being someone who works for the MOD today, I'm reasonably up to date on the different parts of the modern day RN. However I'm also interested in the times of the Nelsonian navy. I have a big love of the age of sail and read a lot about it. I read fictional books like Hornblower and Bolitho, and quite a lot of history textbooks too. However there is a big gap in my knowledge, because my interest lapses right about the mid 1820's and picks up again in the modern day. (Right about the Faklands.) I know precious little of the Royal Navy between 1825 and 1982, so thanks for filling some of it in.

My Interest..

In the Royal Navy spans from the early 1860s to the modern day. Mostly because it's the era where so many technological innovations revolutionized war at sea. Britain was the bearer of much of this technology but threw much of it's benefits away because they were bound to ages old tradition. I find the whole thing so fascinating.

I found this little British piece of history very interesting. In the 1960s the US made a barrier called SOSUS. SOSUS is basically an underwater sonar network located in the Atlantic. We use it to detect Russian submarines. Back in the Cold War the US noticed Russian ships laying what appeared to be cable in the Med Sea. Each cable was marked with a bouy which was in fact a communication device. The US was extremely worried that this might be a Rusian form of SOSUS. We spent months deciding what we were going to do, finally decided we were going to find some means to either tap it, or make if ineffective. We sent a fleet of ships to the Med to perform the plan only to find the Bouys gone and the cables lost.
What happened was this would have also affected the Brits. (They have Nuke Subs built with US Technology). While we were deciding what we were going to do the Brits sent a couple destroyers to the area and had gunnery practice. I've ALWAYS loved this story because even though I do believe Britain is insignificant in todays world, I also loved how they never had a problem with confronting and baiting the Soviets during the Cold War.

Tron

Re: tron are you actually looking for a fight?

areenactor said:
the way you're bragging, and posturing is remakable! i haven't seen this type of testosterone bravado since the last bar fight i saw, some 5 years ago. there are many people out there who'll beat the snot out of you, if you push them enough. but the question begs to be asked; why?
as to british navy gunnery. i have a 2nd cousin in canada who was in the britsh navy during ww2, and he was a gunner, and in the navy, not the marines. so i do believe your pendantic statements are inacurate.
steve

LMAO...Heehee

Can I come to the fight, wear a skimpy outfit and serve wings?

We can even have a TICKLING Pep Rally!

Sunriseticklee
:Kiss2:

Who STILL thinks Marines are the sexiest and toughest men on the planet. And who also lifts weight and says... You an lift them daily if you are doing a special type of circuit training Thx10050, or if you are working upper body one day and lower body on the opposite days.

:)

Well since I've frequently expressed my desire to tickle SunRiseTicklee ( I am a big guy with big hands and a fantastic tickler) I say HELL YES :)

Tron

Re: :)

Neutron said:
Well since I've frequently expressed my desire to tickle SunRiseTicklee ( I am a big guy with big hands and a fantastic tickler) I say HELL YES :)

Tron

:blaugh: HAHAHA

Sorry... I'm only cheerleading for the winning contender. Heehee :p

Live, Laugh and TICKLE
Sunriseticklee
:Kiss2:

I'm too obsessed with bodybuilding and power lifting to get into an argument about what's best for someone, in terms of weight lifting. ;) Simply put, what's best for you as a person depends on your body, not anyone else's. It depends on what training makes your body respond the best, based on what you're trying to accomplish.

Ok Well What If?

The winner cheats? Because I'm more than willing to cheat if it'll get me a chance to tickle she of the rising sun :)

Tron

Re: My Interest..

Neutron said:
I've ALWAYS loved this story because even though I do believe Britain is insignificant in todays world, I also loved how they never had a problem with confronting and baiting the Soviets during the Cold War.
Tron

If Satan himself were walking on the waters of the English channel, Maggie Thatcher would have told him to bugger off and stop bothering our fish stocks!:D

Tron, I have a question for you that I'm quite curious to know the answer to. As you know I've read quite a few of your posts, especially the ones about significant and insignificant nations.

In your opinion, are there any more than 2 significant nations in the world at the moment? If so, what are they?

Financially.

The US, britain, Germany, China (because of her potential)

All around only the US. by the way. It should be remember Britain pretty much withdrew from overall significance and made a chouce to marginalize herself. After bearing the intial brunt of 2 world wars I don't blame her. I'm shocked at how well she's recovered.

Tron

Re: Financially.

Neutron said:
The US, britain, Germany, China (because of her potential)

All around only the US. by the way. It should be remember Britain pretty much withdrew from overall significance and made a chouce to marginalize herself. After bearing the intial brunt of 2 world wars I don't blame her. I'm shocked at how well she's recovered.

Tron

Before the First World War, Britain was the financial and military giant of the world. After WW1 the finance moved frmo the Square Mile to Wall Street and after the second we were too poor to keep a large military. Of course the present day government who keeps cutting the defence budget so much it's got less dosh than the average high-school doesn't help matters. British forces are always all over the world, but their numbers are so thinly stretched that each bloke is doing the work of three. Nowhere is this more true than in the Royal Navy. :mad:

britain is a good ally.

other than isreal, they are about the only country that the u.s. can count on.
we're still talking about war with iraq here, but now today vice-president is saying we need to go covert on sadams ass. that's how i would like to see it done, just take that whack job out!
steve

Did anyone watch the Marine Documentary on the Discovery Channel? It was MUCH more informative than the tape my recruiter gave me. I LOVED IT !!!! I even taped the whole thing. :cool:

Re: britain is a good ally.

areenactor said:
other than isreal, they are about the only country that the u.s. can count on.

You better believe it Steve! For what we're worth, we'll be with you guys to the end.

I remember when the Libyans were letting off bombs all over American bases and Ronny Ray-Gun decided that a few B52 sorties were in order. Germany, Italy, France Spain and Portugal refused to let the american air force pass through their air space on the way to flatten Tripoli. Not only did Maggie let them use our airspace, she let them land here and re-fuel.

As Ronnie Regan said after the fact...........

"Germany wouldn't let us, France would'nt let us, Spain would'nt let us........

But that Mrs. Thatcher! Didn't she stand tall?"

The day there is no friendship between the US and the UK is the day I look for a building to leap off.:D

Just to chime in....

My ex was a Marine. He had love of country and felt like it was his duty to serve the USA in the military. You don't see that much anymore, do ya? After 2 rounds in the Marines, he joined the Navy because specifically for him it offered educational (read nuclear) training that he wanted.

The only good thing he had to say about the Navy? Hehe, I always find this funny. It was a walk in the park after Marine bootcamp at Parris Island. :p (Obviously this is his running joke. Let's not get all uppity about it! OK?)

I have to add this...I'm with Sunrise with the whole uniform thing! :eek: :devil: :wow: Something about stripping a marine out of uniform that...well....*is it warm in here?*

Joby

Honorable Mention

With such a lenthy debate I'm suprized no one mentioned the legendary toughness and impressive success of the NAVY SEALS!!!
SEa , Air , Land .... Yup.

Former Seal Jesse Ventura "Our slogan was - It's not that we're
great, it's just every one else sucks !"

His words,not mine.

Heck, and they have that classic emblem- The Budwiser!

Later!

Re: Honorable Mention

tactillianlover said:
With such a lenthy debate I'm suprized no one mentioned the legendary toughness and impressive success of the NAVY SEALS!!!
SEa , Air , Land .... Yup.

Former Seal Jesse Ventura "Our slogan was - It's not that we're
great, it's just every one else sucks !"

His words,not mine.

Heck, and they have that classic emblem- The Budwiser!

Later!

Jesse must be the epitome of every young schoolboy's dream. Some boys dream of being a special forces soldier, some dream dream of being a pro-wrestler, others dream of being an important public official. Never one to do things by halves, Jesse decided he wanted to be all three! :D Gotta admire a guy who achieves that much in his life.

It surely is! I wish I could achieve a tenth as much as he has.

Jesse Was Orginially...

A NUKE. SEALS don't recruit from outside the Navy. you have to already be in to be a SEAL (DESPITE what a recruiter will tell you).

Jesse Ventura was originally a nuke before he became a SEAL.

ShiningICE. if it was on either the Discovery Channel or the History Channel it's inaccurate at hell. I LOVE both channels because they expose people to History, but both are loose with their facts and don't bother to do research.

Tron

we talked about seals in another thread

and they were roundly well spoken of.
the show about the marines was on the discovery channel. it was a 3 parter, about boot camp on paris island. it followed several marines from pre entry interviews, through boot camp. i enjoyed the shows, and thought that they were "fairly close" to reality. all the marines i talked with over the years much prefered san diego to paris island.
steve

nyuk....nyuk....nyuk.
woob woob woob woob
Actually,a nuke is a sailor who is involved in the nuclear field.

shark said:
nyuk....nyuk....nyuk.
woob woob woob woob
Actually,a nuke is a sailor who is involved in the nuclear field.

Cheers for clearing that up mate. ;)

What's New

5/3/2024
If you need to report a post, click the report button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back