• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Moving to Southwest CT and starting a new life (yet again..)

Avenger314

Verified
Hi all,

Just thought I'd send out an update as my life is once again changing.

I'm 25 now. I've spent all my life in school. I was in a PhD program this year but semi-willingly withdrew to get more life experience. Just last week, I finally got hired for a job (I'd been searching for about 3 months). The new job is pretty good; salary and benefits, etc. It's as a contract analyst. The company is in Southwest Connecticut.

I just recently rented my very first 'place.' My first bachelor pad. (I've lived in a 6-bedroom house this year in Amherst, MA--but that's not the same thing). It's a nice place. My apartment is in Seymoure, CT. I'm hoping there are some neighbors there, as I know Connecticut is rife with ticklers. (and by 'rife' I mean 'has more than Rhode Island.')

So right about now I'm petrified. I've never worked at a real 'job' in my life. I've always been an academic, always been a student. Hell, I've never even lived entirely on my own before.

I look back now on what I've gained and what I've lost. The losses first, so I can end on a good note, I suppose. I've lost much of what I've labored to build. I strove for a PhD and couldn't pull everything together. I've lost many people I thought were friends, both in MA and RI. Some was due to problems, but most due to simple time and distance. I tried flitting back and forth between both places to keep all sets of friends, but in truth I lost many of them. I've lost money and I've lost time.

And, perhaps worst of all, I've lost my girlfriend. We were going to try to make a go of it, but we realized there were just too many negative influencers for it to realistically work. Distance is a killer. We looked ahead at the inevitable problems it would cause, the almost-certain worsening of the relationship, and decided it'd be better to end it before it disintegrated. It was the right decision, but still (like many important, difficult ones) still unpleasant. I miss her already; she's a strong and determined yet kind person, despite the many negative circumstances in her life. Farewell, and also fare well.
I feel like Amherst is going to be a fading dream very quickly.

Yet this time hasn't been entirely without gain. Certainly, I've gained knowledge and skills in the PhD program. I've gained independence: I lived away from home for the better part of a year, which I was concerned I wouldn't be able to do. I gained strength: I survived yet again despite my future and goals vanishing away from me. That which does not kill me, and all that claptrap.
Despite the fading of some friendships, I've gained some friends that I hope to stay in contact with for many years. And, many, many friends in RI as well that I hope we can still talk with. A buddy of mine lives in CT, as do a couple people I know slightly that I hope to get to know better.
I've of course gained a bona fide 'grownup' job, with a salary, and all that good stuff.

So here I am now, getting ready to depart on yet another life shift to something else. I have a few years now to think about what I want from life. And, of course, I'm praying that this one doesn't get screwed up on me. Wish me luck, people, I'm growing up against my will. If there's anyone near where I am in Western CT, let me know, it'd be good to have a friendly face in an alien land.

Good luck to you Avenger.You can still complete that PhD later if that's what you want to do.And you will adjust quickly to being on your own i bet.When i moved to Texas in 1980 i was your age and had always lived with family or friends and it can be an adjustment,but i loved it in a short time.Best wishes on your new job and life.

Welcome to Connecticut, Bro!

There are many of us from the forum here in the Nutmeg state..

Seymour is less than a half hour from where my wife and I are and others live in the area as well...

Give me a PM when you get the chance...

Dont dwell on the losses...there is plenty of time left in life to return to school (or take classes part time) to get that PHD....

As for friends...we make many and lose some along the way, but never really lose a good friend...just drift away for a time....and one never knows WHAT will happen where women are involved, so go with the flow and I am sure things will go your way sooner or later...

Ray

Veggie, I know we discussed this in the chat on Sunday night, but I'll post it here too.
As I told you, I lived in southern CT for 12 years, in Westport. That area is beautiful. Quite simply, you are moving to a paradise of beauty.
I am sorry to hear about your losses in life. You are still young enough to recoup, and change. I am much older than you, almost 37, and have lost businesses, friends, family, and relationships, and I havent given up. Your new life is giving you an opportunity. Try to look only forward, not back. Hindsight is always 20/20, but, we cannot change the past, only strive to do better in the future.
I wish you all the best in starting your new life, you are a good guy. Just remember, go forward with a positive attitude, and if at first you dont succeed, try, try again until you do. If one thing or person doesnt work out for you, there is always someone else, or another opportunity just waiting to be had. I know that you will find the right niche for yourself, and hopefully, the move is the beginning of that.
Good Luck to you, my friend, and take care. This is a new and exciting time for you, and, I, for one, have a feeling that all is going to work out just fine for you.

Mitch

Hey Avenger , reading your story I could feel the uncertainty and sadness . I'm sorry that your decisions came with the price they did . The future holds many surprises for brighter days . Venray is just a stone throw away and like Mitchell mentioned that place is like paradise . You have a good education which you still can pursue , a good job to look forward to that you will do a good with. You will meet new people and make new friends and when your settled in you can always pick up where you left off with the other friends you know via the computer and phone . Lots of people around the world do it's a good way to stay in touch . I hope for you all the best and don't feel alone because your not .

Avenger314 said:
So right about now I'm petrified. I've never worked at a real 'job' in my life. I've always been an academic, always been a student...

Have little different to add to what other posters have said in regard to other thoughts you shared, but as to the above, I do have a first-job tip:

Eat lunch but don't eat too much and drink caffeinated beverages.

Doing this may help you stay awake those first few days when your work load is low, which causes your mind to wander and your eyes to close. A hard self slap and a cold splash of water can help too.

Good luck as you embark on this new life adventure!

Wow.....that IS alot going on. And, as others have said, you can still pursue the PhD if that's what you really wanna do.

Otherwise, I wish you the best of luck! You deserve it, Veng!

--T

Good luck, Veg. You have plenty of time to get your PhD. later on. If I can get my master's degree at my age you can certainly get your PhD. a few years down the road. Plus, a fresh start opens up lots of possibilities, and you are now closer to a number of great TMF members. I hope all goes well for you!

Good Luck, Venger. For what it's worth, one door closed is another door opened. Life experience can be frustrating, frightening and depressing, but it can also be the ultimate fulfilment.

As for your Lady, I know you recently got with her, and that's gotta be painful. Long distance relationships are indeed very difficult and tenuous at best, but by no means are they impossible. Prime example sitting here. Just depends on how bad ya both want it.

And now you can cash in some of these TMF tokens you've been stockpiling! :D

Again, Good Luck to you, and try to greet each day with an open mind and open eyes.

Avenger, I know that you enjoyed being a student and loved your new place in Amherst,MA and that your uncertain about your future in CT with your new job but this could be the best thing that could happen to you!. The best advice I can give to you my friend is to take it day by day and go with the flow as there will always be a little anxiety when a change comes upon each of us that humans as a rule aren;t accustomed to as alot of us stick to what we know ..Please keep us updated as to how everything goes :cool2:

Bless you all for your kind words. I'm feeling a lot better about the upcoming changes. I'm really looking forward to meeting the CT ticklephiles. It's like getting stranded on Alpha Centauri--and then suddenly finding out that not only is there intelligent life, but they're a fan of your favorite author, TV show, and sports team (Tom Clancy, 24, Mets ;) ). Thanks for all the good wishes everyone, and I'll be keeping my chin up as best I can.

A premature but heartfelt welcome to the nutmeg state. Once you get settled, we'll have to meet for lunch or something. You won't be far from the best pizza in the world.

Ann

An update...

I've been in CT for about a month now. I've been working hard at my job. My boss and co-workers have been putting in a lot of time and effort in mentoring me and I'm doing my best to repay their effort. I've now moved onto 'real work,' and not just training, so I'm psyched about that. The more work they have me do, the more they trust me, the farther I am from being fired, so that's good =).

I haven't had a chance to meet any of the CT people yet; their schedules are hectic. I remain hopeful, however. After all, if all goes well, I'll be here for a while.

The nights and the weekends get lonely at times. Fortunately, I have booze =). And computer/video games, of course. I'm also keepnig reasonably ahead of cleaning chores. I'm not by nature a neat person, but I seem to be turning over a new leaf. Thank the lord.

I've also mostly been sleeping better than normal. It normally takes me about an hour to fall asleep, so falling asleep within 20 minutes is a gift from God.

All-in-all, I've landed on my feet. I hope to meet some of you soon.

And as always, thanks all, for your kind words and good wishes!

Sounds like things are looking up for you Avenger and thats great . All that hard work is going to pay off . You'll start meeting people and the alone feelings will vanish . I'm really happy for you .

What's New

6/7/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for a wide range of clips from dozens and dozens of producers.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back