• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Multilingual?

Shytickler109

TMF Expert
Random post but I'm looking to feed my curiosity. Does anyone here speak multiple languages? I myself do not currently, possibly thinking of learning French. Why French? It sounds beautiful honestly. Latin is another possible language worth learning( dead or not)

Anyways love to hear what others have to say

I took German for three years, am currently working on Hebrew, and I start Arabic classes
this fall.

Nice any particular reason, job, fun, etc? German and Arabic I'll have to add to my list

Took Mandarin Chinese for 3 years in high school, Japanese for one semester in college, its actually pretty neat learning a new language.

That's what I think too, wow Mandarin and Japanese, nice just for fun or cultural expansion , seems neat either way

Random post but I'm looking to feed my curiosity. Does anyone here speak multiple languages? I myself do not currently, possibly thinking of learning French. Why French? It sounds beautiful honestly. Latin is another possible language worth learning( dead or not)

Good for you. Language and languages are my profession and avocation, actually; I've studied 23 languages, though I'm really fluent in just a few (and barely in my native English, some would say).

French is a good one to begin with because like English, much of our vocabulary is Romance, i.e., based on Latin, so a lot of French words you should have no trouble recognizing. That contrasts with a language like German which is genetically (that is, through its historical origins) much more closely related to English, but unlike English its word stock has stayed very Germanic, with the result that even though its grammar is much more like that of English than the Romance languages (though German grammar has remained more conservative and thus poses some problems for English speakers), the unfamiliar vocabulary and process of word formation can be a barrier to learning and comprehension.

And even among the Romance languages, French probably would not the be easiest for you since its writing system has retained an indication of sounds that were once there but have long disappeared but that you still have to spell right, and of course English is notorious for this too. I'm thinking that both Spanish and Italian, whose orthography (a fancy-dancy term for writing and spelling) more closely reflect the state of the modern spoken language, wouldn't be so tough in that respect, and again throw in the fact that these two also share a lot of common vocabulary with English, which of course had to borrow in a lot of its Latin terms, and borrow it sure did.

Speaking of Latin, that would be a good choice for you too as you mentioned, but be on guard for a kind of grammar that's devilishly difficult and so unlike what we do in English. Yet, you can't beat the value of learning Latin (and if you're brave enough, Classical Greek) for enhancing your English vocabulary; you'll be amazed how much a basic knowledge of Latin will help you figure out a lot of strange new words you might encounter.

And don't be too afraid of languages like Russian and Greek whose strange alphabet makes them look hard; mastering the writing system of such languages--since they do use alphabets--comes surprisingly easy. But unfortunately I can't say the same about some important languages of Asia like Chinese and Japanese whose writing systems are radically different from that of English, and that's on top of their almost completely different grammatical systems and vocabulary.

One slight exception to that is Korean, a very different language than English but one whose writing system is surprisingly easy to learn. The same goes for Hebrew, but I've always struggled with Arabic script (sorry, BrightEyes ;) )

And no matter what language you choose to learn, except of course for "dead" languages like Latin and ancient Greek (or God help you, Sanskrit or Old English), there are really two main ways to go about it. One is the traditional method, which you get in most schools and emphasizes reading and writing largely through explicit grammar and vocabulary instruction along with translation. The other is often referred to as "immersion," where you live and interact with a community that speaks almost entirely in the target language (there I go again, "target language" meaning the tongue you want to learn or express yourself in). So yes, that type is quite sink or swim, but I can attest that it's very effective especially if your purpose is to acquire a working knowledge of the everyday spoken language and the ability to communicate in it. And as you might imagine, a strategy that balances these two main approaches is probably best for most people, though a lot depends on individuals and their purposes in learning the language.

Je vous souhaite bonne chance (wishing you good luck). Hey, gotta start somewhere. That'll be one whole Benjamin for my first lesson, please. PayPal and Bitcoin accepted.

I took Latin in high school and failed miserably in college Spanish. Nope, not bilingual :D

Spanish, moderate Farsi, moderate Dari.

I want to learn Farsi when I finish Arabic, as well as other languages that use Arabic script, or a variation. Where did you learn them? I am taking a year of standard classroom instruction, followed by a semester of immersion at Hebrew University in Israel.

I'm not familiar with the last two, what region are those languages spoken?

Primarily Iran and Afghanistan, respectively.

I'm Russian, and also speak English and decent French. Italian is my next quest. My Dad was Italian, it always interested me.

Cool Italian would be cool to learn too, which did you enjoy learning more of the languages so far?

I'm a cunning linguist.

French is a classy language to learn as it was once the language of international protocol at one time.

Latin is cool as it is the root of many other languages and was also the international common language of choice once.

I can socialize in Spanish when the other person is willing to be patient with me, and I can read French and Armenian slowly with a dictionary.

I speak my native language which is Czech. I am currently living in France, so I am very fluent in French... does English count? :) I took also some lessons in Spanish, but I would hardly call myself fluent in that language.

I speak my native language which is Czech. I am currently living in France, so I am very fluent in French... does English count? :) I took also some lessons in Spanish, but I would hardly call myself fluent in that language.

Indeed it does count, may I ask what drew you to France?

@Shytickler109
It was my mom. She took me there when I was around twelve. She works there and wanted to have me around, even though I would have rather stayed with my dad in Czech Republic, but even he wanted me to be with my mother. My first years there were very difficult as I had to leave all my friends I had in my old school and learn a new language, but now I got quite comfortable here and wouldn't really want to go back. I got very used to France and I like this country a lot.

@TTT for joy

I'm glad everything got better for you, and I'm sorry that it was difficult for you at the beginning. I hope you have many more good years ahead of you.

Shy

I want to learn Farsi when I finish Arabic, as well as other languages that use Arabic script, or a variation. Where did you learn them? I am taking a year of standard classroom instruction, followed by a semester of immersion at Hebrew University in Israel.

Primarily Iran and Afghanistan, respectively.

Private lessons courtesy of the United States Army. Many of us learned what we know from the translators assigned to our chalks.

What's New

5/13/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the most tickling clips in one place on the web!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back