• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

OCD and Fetishes?

ImNotDave

TMF Master
I suffer from medium/strong OCD (though not as bad as Adrian Monk. Anybody who hasn't seen the show won't know what that means...), and was discussing it a few weeks back with some friends, when a friend-of-a-friend suddenly said:
"So, do you have any fetishes then?". I was caught a bit off guard, and played innocent by saying "...what do you mean?". He said: "I've met a lot of people who have OCD, and they've ALL had a fetish of some sort. Foot fetish, bondage, being spanked etc. OCD and fetishes seem to go hand-in-hand". I just carried on playing innocent and pretending that I didn't have any fetishes though. Didn't feel like suddenly telling everybody.
But it left me thinking, that I have a tickling/foot/bondage fetish, and I have OCD.
Anybody else on the board an OCD person? =)

There may be an element of OCD in folks who have a fetish. I hadn't thought of it before, but I can watch foot tickling videos for hours on end and I never tire of it. When there is nothing else to do my hobby is to search the Internet for foot tickling clips. I call it a hobby, but it may well be a compulsion. I think that it may be a response to the fact that it is hard to find someone who will cater to my foot tickling fetish. It is much easier to get laid than it is to find someone who will let me act out my foot tickling thing. That may drive me to excess in viewing videos because I can't freely act it out in the real world like you can with ordinary sex. Does this make any sense?

Odds are this is a case of "Pickles cause communism". Why? because 99.9% of all communists have eaten a pickle.

Fetishes are fairly widespread across the population. It tends to be harder to find someone without one (though many are not fully aware of theirs) then to find someone with one.

OCD style issues tend to lay in the area creating patterns, order, and set control (collecting things is a mild version of an OCD behavior) and like fetishes, is not as uncommon as folks once thought.

Odds are you have two rather large unrelated sets overlapping each other.

Myriads

I would have to agree with what Myriads said. But I do find the original inquiry curious, as I have had strong OCD since early childhood. I am now medicated for the OCD, but the fetish hasn't gone away. I don't think there's a strong enough correlation between the two to warrant studies on causation yet, but it's interesting to think about.

I have OCD, and it caused me to talk fetishism nonstop for awhile. I've learned to control it though.

Yes, I have OCD as well. And just to be sure, for purposes of this conversation we're talking about actual OCD, such as that exhibited by Monk, and not using OCD as a catch-all for generic neuroticism or perfectionism. I work in a high-stress field and a lot of people butcher the term OCD, claiming that they have it when what they really mean is that they're a stress case who doesn't get laid enough.

In order to determine if there is a correlation, you would have to study the issue empirically, and not simply pick up anecdotes here and there. It would be an interesting study.

I agree with MaleTickleeDC. Too many people claim to have OCD when they really just have pet peeves.

Do I sound very uneducated if I ask what the hell OCD is?

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder =)

Quite a few interesting points coming through here. I liked the pickles cause communism thing =P I've not heard that one before.

Do I sound very uneducated if I ask what the hell OCD is?

Have you seen that movie "As Good as it Gets" with Jack Nicholson? Or any episode of "Monk?" Both had OCD. Basically, people with OCD are wired to be compelled to perform certain tasks or "rituals" over and over again, even though there is no rational reason for doing so. Indeed, the individual with OCD will KNOW there's no reason for doing so, but will still have the compulsion. In the movie with Nicholson, Nicholson's character was compelled to walk along the curb instead of on the sidewalk, for example. Note that like most people with OCD, the character was perfectly normal otherwise, and was quite a brilliant writer (though perhaps with a dearth of social tact).

Other symptoms include obsessions with certain topics that cause mental images to unwantingly enter one's mind. During the Middle Ages, it is said that a lot of people who thought they were demon possessed because of blasphemous thoughts that they couldn't get rid of actually had OCD. The OCD causes the person to have to force himself to not think about the unwanted thought. It's kind of hard to explain unless you've experienced it.

For me it's sort of a "Tourette's of the mind." Instead of randomly voicing swear words, I'll randomly get unwanted images in my head, or randomly be compelled to do some stupid thing, like open and close the door one more time, until it "feels right." Over the years I've trained myself to ignore the compulsions.

Incidentally, for anyone unfamiliar with OCD, please don't confuse this with some Hollywood-style sickness where the individual hears ominous voices compelling him to do bad things to other people. That's not what it is at all. Again, it's largely a series of pattern-oriented compulsions that the sufferer knows have no rational component to them, but that the sufferer often submits to because it's easier than fighting the urge to, for example, turn the light on and off once more.

MaleTickleeDC: Thanks or the overview on the basics of OCD. I have been guilty of using the term loosley. I now see what you mean.

I agree with Myriads. I have rather strong OCD but I dont think it has much to do with my fetishes.

Doesn't everybody have OCD to a degree? :) I know for me it can come and go when I'm stressed. :)

Doesn't everybody have OCD to a degree? :) I know for me it can come and go when I'm stressed. :)

i agree with this, i've picked a few OCD habits up over the years... however, as stated by Myriads and Kurch, I don't think it has much to do with my fetish(s)... its another, idk, sub-category of myself if you will. Its not like what I'm OCD about IS my fetish(s)... they do not even RELATE to one-another.

i do think in general since everyone has OCD tendencies once in a while, it's easy to say everyone you meet with OCD has a fetish...

That struck me as really interesting. I think OCD is only really pegged and labelled when it's extreme enough to interfere with your life, but the tendencies are probably natural. Same with fetishes -- most people have <I>some</I> kind of non-universal sexual turn-on.

Whoever connected OCD with fetishes might just have noticed some incidental pattern, but it's hard not to wonder if fetishes that break down to conflicting emotions and logic have any subtle relation to compulsive drive.

Another possibility is that you've always had a mild case of OCD but have never known about it.

Our society is still very barbaric in the way we approach mental illness. The stigma attached to mental illness is just ridiculous, considering that these things are based on the wiring in the brain, which is just another part of the body. The term "mental illness" is misleading in and of itself, as it presumes that the illness isn't "physical," like a broken leg would be. But everything mental is physical, because it's all based on the physical structure that is the brain.

OCD is an anxiety disorder not a mental illness perse. OCD is fairly common but its just not checking to make sure you lock the door or whether you turned the oven off. I think thats the mistake most people make because almost everyone does that. OCD is lots of irrational and semirational thoughts that bombard you that cause stress and often to help relieve that stress you adopt rituals. Like excessive handwashing if you are having lots of thoughts about germs and disease. Thing most dont understand is often some thoughts make sense like "Is that turkey in the fridge still good?", some are a little less logical "Will the fridge magnet erase my harddrive on the laptop?" and some make no sense whatsoever "If I dont turn the lights off right will the house catch on fire?". Its trying to go through and act on all these thoughts that causes problems.

Its a very misunderstood disorder.

OCD is an anxiety disorder not a mental illness perse. OCD is fairly common but its just not checking to make sure you lock the door or whether you turned the oven off. I think thats the mistake most people make because almost everyone does that. OCD is lots of irrational and semirational thoughts that bombard you that cause stress and often to help relieve that stress you adopt rituals. Like excessive handwashing if you are having lots of thoughts about germs and disease. Thing most dont understand is often some thoughts make sense like "Is that turkey in the fridge still good?", some are a little less logical "Will the fridge magnet erase my harddrive on the laptop?" and some make no sense whatsoever "If I dont turn the lights off right will the house catch on fire?". Its trying to go through and act on all these thoughts that causes problems.

Its a very misunderstood disorder.

Agreed by and large. That's why I think that the folks who claim that everyone has a touch of OCD are really just saying that everyone has the potential to be a stress case now and then. But OCD and being a stress case are two entirely different things. I don't think people really understand the, as you put it, semi-rational obsessions and compulsions that we OCD'ers experience. The irrational ones, of course, are the ones that really separate those with true OCD, and those who just want a cool name for the fact that they're a stress case.

Agreed by and large. That's why I think that the folks who claim that everyone has a touch of OCD are really just saying that everyone has the potential to be a stress case now and then. But OCD and being a stress case are two entirely different things. I don't think people really understand the, as you put it, semi-rational obsessions and compulsions that we OCD'ers experience. The irrational ones, of course, are the ones that really separate those with true OCD, and those who just want a cool name for the fact that they're a stress case.

Exactly.

Anyway like I said before I dont think OCD and tickling or fetishes are necessarily related. Its a common enough disorder that things might just be purely coincendental.

i understand fully what it means. i see it more often that you'd think being in the medical field. . . and no, i honestly believe EVERYONE has the OCD potential, its just a matter of some who channel it differently. And sure when you're stressed could come out in a different form. as you stated, the brain is a course of wiring, sure we THINK we know what causes things, but cant really say for certain since everyone is different. hell, depression (not the subject i know but an example) is BELIEVED to be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain.. believed is the key phrase... dunno, just my opinion i guess....

No. Everyone does NOT have obsessive compulsive disorder. And it IS a mental illness. That’s why it is listed in the DSM-IV. It isn’t fun or endearing and it takes up hours out of your day and causes distress. If you believe you have OCD, please see the following criteria from the DSM-IV. See criteria D for info on paraphilias, which are technically disorders. While paraphilias don’t cause OCD or vice versa, many axis 1 mental disorders commonly co-exist. This lends credence to the original theory that they are somewhat connected. If you meet the following criteria, you may consider seeing a psychiatrist. They can give you sweet pills that fix stuff. Sorry for the length, I copied the text verbatim.

A. Either obsessions or compulsions:

Obsessions as defined by:

1 – recurrent or persistent thoughts, impulses, or images that are experience, at some time during the disturbance, as intrusive and inappropriate and that cause marked anxiety or distress
2 – the thoughts, impulses, or images are not simply excessive worries about real-life problems
3 – the person attempts to ignore or suppress such thoughts, impulses, or images, or to neutralize them with some other thought or action
4 – the person recognizes that the obsessional thoughts, impulses, or images are a product of his or her own mind (not imposed from without as in thought insertion)

Compulsions as defined by:

1 – repetitive behaviors (e.g., hand washing, ordering, checking) or mental acts to perform in response to an obsession, or according to rules that must be applied rigidly
2 – the behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation; however, these behaviors or mental acts either are not connected in a realistic way with what they are designed to neutralize or prevent or are clearly excessive
B. At some point during the course of the disorder, the persona has recognized that the obsessions or compulsions are excessive or unreasonable. Note: This does not apply to children.
C. The obsessions or compulsions cause marked distress, are time consuming (take more than 1 hour a day), or significantly interfere with the person’s routine, occupational (or academic) functioning, or usual social activities or relationships.
D. If another Axis 1 disorder is present, the content of the obsessions or compulsion is not restricted to it (e.g., preoccupation with food in the presence of an Eating Disorder; hair pulling in the presence of Trichotillomania; concern with appearance in the presence of Body Dysmorphic Disorder, PREOCCUPATION WITH SEXUAL URGES OR FANTASIES IN THE PRESENCE OF A PARAPHILIA, etc.)
E. The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance or general medical condition.

Don't the sweet pills have not-so-nice side effects?

It depends on the pills. I've literally been on more than 15 medications in the past ten years, but I have found a good balance. Plus, a few not so nice side effects trump the nights of cleaning all night until the house is done, making sure the carpet all goes in the same direction, counting every letter of every word I hear, repeating words in my head over and over again for no reason,wiping my fingerprints off everything I touch, having the need for absolutely everything to be symmetrical....

It's interesting that the authors of DSM IV feel the need to specifically differentiate between the obsessions and compulsions that come with having a fetish and diagnosable OCD... Seems to lend credence to the idea that they're actually not so different.

DSM IV is barely a scientific text anyway. Maybe someone should tell them to pay closer attention to this thread when they're writing DSM V. :peace:

Door 44 Productions
What's New

5/14/2024
If you ned to report a post, click the report button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back