• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Okay, When did Tim Burton become a messiah for the emo cult?

Perduabo

1st Level Red Feather
I used to LOVE Tim Burton's movies. I thought he did a splendid job on he first two Batman flicks with Michael Keaton, and Sweeny Todd is one of my favorite musicals (who knew Johnny Depp could sing?) I even liked some of his more child-orientated films like Corpse Bride. They were dark and gothic with just a smidge of that macabre and dry humor the (true) goth crowd is known for.

Burton's films used to be greatly appreciated by actual goths, as well as the mainstream audience. His visual style, wit and stories prove this.

HOWEVER.... as of late, it seems that the goth crowd has moved away from him in search of bleaker pastures. Instead, we get the group of Twilight-obsessed, Cure listening, angst-ridden group of brats known as emos that praise his increasingly shitty work (I recently saw the new Alice imagining he did and thought it was horrendous)

I spoke to some of the newer generation of Burton admirers at the theatre, and they are all cut from the same mold. Whiny attention-whoring teens who threaten to run away/slit their wrists/write abominable poetry because mommy and daddy grounded them. The guys all sport that ridiculous emo hairstyle, and they think that true goth music was birthed by Nine Inch Nails.

My question is, when did Burton's films start being worshiped by the emo kids, and loathed by the goth crowd? It confounds me! :D

Damn culture gap!

Since they were formed.

Now I know how people hate 'stereotyping', but when just about every 'emo' loves Tim Burton (see: 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' and 'Corpse Bride' especially) and shops at Hot Topic, it's hard not to point it out... just saying.

Hard to label when people are already branded.

I don't know about him being a messiah to the emo cult, but I've always adored him.

I honestly didn't really ever feel like he was really part of the emo crowd as much as the gothic scene. Emo is what it is.

Well no, he himself I don't see as part of the emo crowd.

Its just his fanbase has changed so drastically is what I'm seeing.

Tim Burton was always overrated to begin with.

His early stuff was quite good. And so was Big Fish.

But yes, everything else has been near abysmal and overall he's not quite Kurosawa or Scorsese.

His early stuff was quite good. And so was Big Fish.

But yes, everything else has been near abysmal and overall he's not quite Kurosawa or Scorsese.

I hated Big Fish... I'm not saying most of his stuff is bad; it's just not great either....

About the only thing I've seen from him that I would consider "exceptional" was The Nightmare Before Christmas, but he was only the producer, not the actual director.

Because, since the beginning, Tim Burton has appealed to the gloomy, emotional outsider in all of us. In recent years, that scene has been more accepted in the mainstream because of things like Twilight, Avril Lavigne and soforth.

Burton's movies always appealed to people like that. Those people have just become more visible in recent years.

Snail Shell

Where do emos come from?

Well-to-do families that don't pay much attention to their kids. Because of that, these kids act as if their life is over before it got started and they go out of their way to get attention in any way they can.

Where do emos come from?

Emos come from the mythical island of Emonisia. On this island, it rains all day every day and the sun is only seen once every 400 years. They are ruled by the island's leader, Head Emo Gloom, who demands a tribute of eyeliner and Hot Topic gift certificates from all inhabitants of the island.

At high noon on each day, the tribe of emo warriors sets out unto the island in search of that rarest of all quarry, "Parental Attention". Sadly, not all warriors shall return from such a perilous and fool-hearty venture. Upon returning to the village, the spoils are shared amongst all tribe members while they are regailed by the retelling of stories of the deminuative Invader Zim and his pet robot GIR. The tribe is lulled to sleep afterwards by the dulcet tones of The Used and My Chemical Romance.

Please shed a tear and open your heart for this poor, misunderstood creature.

:cry1:

Snail Shell

Where do emos come from? Now THERE'S a question that I actually have the answer to.

When two WASPs love eachother very very much, they play lots of tennis, trade in their beamers for one of those Lincoln Navigator. A Lincoln Navigator is a large vehicle made to accomodate half the soccer team on their way to Smoothie King while allowing them to watch all the reruns of Spongebob Square Pants they can possibly watch. A Lincoln Navigator looks alot like this:

112_2006_sema_309z+2007_lincoln_navigator_by_exotic_cars+front_view.jpg

They then buy a brick home on a piece of property that's barely big enough to grow a decent tomato patch on and start hugging. The hugging then leads to the miracle of life... I would imagine it would look much like this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mTMlZSKEu-Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mTMlZSKEu-Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Anyways. Said couple then begets children and immediately forget they had them. Perhaps they misplace them early in their childhood. Nonetheless, these poor things are left to fend for themselves, traversing the wilds of suburbia armed with little more than their gap clothing and myriad of electronic devices. All they ever wanted was a hug. ENTER MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE STAGE RIGHT.

With such uplifting hits as "Drowning Lessons" "Vampires Will Never Hurt You" and "Our Lady of Sorrows", the WASP-letts found a light at the end of their depressing little tunnel. Their stylish old navy pullovers were exchanged for giant sweatshirts depicting skeletal animals and their love for the macabre (or Green Day, as it may) Green Day is a band that looks like this:

green-day.jpg

Things like profuse blood letting and wearing enough eyeliner to keep maybelline in business for eons, suddenly make alot of sense. My theory is that these practices are done in order to pay homage to some secret emo god that is proposed to give them eternal life. I would imagine this secret emo god would look alot like this:

edward-cullen-robert-pattinson1.jpg

There is little known about the true emo culture, as it is secretive and very selective. Only those who are most able to complain about how terrible life is while stuffing their faces full of Panda Express while watching Inu Yasha reruns are able to retain this lifestyle for very long. Those who are finally accepted by the secretive emo god are able to find gainful emo employment in places like Hot Topic or Spencer's gifts. A Hot Topic looks alot like this:
Mens-Goth-Clothing-787524.jpg

Cheerful looking place, if I may say so myself.

My supposition, then, is that some of our emo friends have become misguided, attaching themselves to anything and anyone that seems slightly dark and off-kilter. I pray they see the light, otherwise their true emo god will come to get them, and make them go to college and move out of their parents' house!

cookiez.jpg

Hardly done anything for the "Emo cult" in the slightest.
He has always been a Gothic movie maker... but with the AWFUL Charlie and the chocolate factory and now what looks quite terrible.. Alice in wonderland he looks like he has become this colourful director.. with no vision and just re-telling everything already told.
Sweeney Todd was great, very gothic. Hardly Emo.. But as a Director he has had many average films to be seen as highly as he already is

since Nightmare before Christmas came out, sick movie though, just has a weird following

He did "Vincent " back in, something like.... 1980, but since it was a short film very few people have seen it. And some of his design work on "The Black Cauldren" in the early-mid 80s. He's alwasy been that way.

By why hasn't comedian Emo Phillips gotten any Emo credit?

Heck I always thought that whenever a squirrel or possum was run over and left on the side of the road, a new emo was born....

For those interested, on the heels of Alice's $150M, two week reign at the box office, Tim Burton has signed on to further his dream projects as a filmmaker.

First up will be :sigh: a stop-motion re-imagining of The Addams Family.

:banghead:

Snail Shell

For those interested, on the heels of Alice's $150M, two week reign at the box office, Tim Burton has signed on to further his dream projects as a filmmaker.

First up will be :sigh: a stop-motion re-imagining of The Addams Family.

:banghead:

Snail Shell

Let me guess... starring Johnny Depp and (wife) Helena Bonham Carter?

'What a twist!'

Let me guess... starring Johnny Depp and (wife) Helena Bonham Carter?

'What a twist!'

LOL, probably. I haven't seen many of his films but those two are always in the "New Tim Burton movie" trailers that interrupt my regular broadcast.

What's New

5/15/2024
The TMF Links forum keeps you updated on tickling sites all around the web.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back