• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Pit Bulls

jugner

1st Level Orange Feather
I heard another story of pit bulls killing a child. The UK banned them in 1991. Should the US?

Course not. Banning children might not be a bad idea, though.

Pittbulls are banned in several cities in america already and its a damn joke

The govt has no right to take a loved one(dog) away from a family because cretins of society use them for bad purposes. Hell, why not ban bullies, put them in cages and euthanize them

Shockingly enough, I agree with drew70 on this one. Dog breeds or types should not be banned. American Pit Bull Terriers and similar breeds have an unfair reputation for being killers. In fact, the problem is irresponsible breeders and owners. Virtually any breed can be a killer. There has even been a case of a Pomeranian killing a child.

When a Golden Retriever or some other beloved, "safe" breed of dog kills a child, it barely makes local news. But when any large, muscular, breed of dog kills a child, it gets labelled "pit bull" and often makes national news.

New Yorker magazine had an excellent article earlier this year on profiling and pit bulls:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060206fa_fact

Pit bulls aren't a vicious breed. No, I don't think they should be banned. I DO think that owners should face civil (and possibly criminal) liability for injuries inflicted by their dogs, of any breed.

The problem with pit bulls is that they were bred for combat. No, I don't think this makes them vicious. But it does make the consequences of accidents with them very serious. They're extremely muscular, and their jaws are awesomely powerful. So if they're involved in an ordinary dog incident such as any breed might have the damage can be quite severe.

I think that anyone who wants to train a dog to attack should be required to have a license, and that it should be a felony if such a dog attacks anyone through the owner's lack of attention. I don't think pit bulls should be banned, but I personally wouldn't want one around any children I care about - not because I don't trust the dog, but because I don't trust the CHILDREN. Children do things to dogs, often, that earn them a nip - for which I usually can't blame the dog. From a normal dog that can be a good lesson. From a pit bull that can be maiming.

Redmage said:
Pit bulls aren't a vicious breed. No, I don't think they should be banned. I DO think that owners should face civil (and possibly criminal) liability for injuries inflicted by their dogs, of any breed.

The problem with pit bulls is that they were bred for combat. No, I don't think this makes them vicious. But it does make the consequences of accidents with them very serious. They're extremely muscular, and their jaws are awesomely powerful. So if they're involved in an ordinary dog incident such as any breed might have the damage can be quite severe.

I think that anyone who wants to train a dog to attack should be required to have a license, and that it should be a felony if such a dog attacks anyone through the owner's lack of attention. I don't think pit bulls should be banned, but I personally wouldn't want one around any children I care about - not because I don't trust the dog, but because I don't trust the CHILDREN. Children do things to dogs, often, that earn them a nip - for which I usually can't blame the dog. From a normal dog that can be a good lesson. From a pit bull that can be maiming.

I agree

rottweillers also have a bad rep for bein junkyard dogs but are considered one of the top 5 of intelligent dog breeds

I agree with the other post here but unfortunatlly I live in an area in NYC where I see kids 15 16 years old train these dogs to kill other dogs in fact they will steal someones docile house pet to be killed by pits. At times these pits get loose and roam the neighborhood and people are petrified when they see them. True they can make wonderful pets but until parents check to see what there kids are doing with these animals they are a huge source of danger in low income areas and also one must ask now why so many people now just want that breed of animal. These dogs are like a status symbol kids who have no clear idea how dangerious it is to the general public.

brianspencer66 said:
I agree with the other post here but unfortunatlly I live in an area in NYC where I see kids 15 16 years old train these dogs to kill other dogs in fact they will steal someones docile house pet to be killed by pits. At times these pits get loose and roam the neighborhood and people are petrified when they see them. True they can make wonderful pets but until parents check to see what there kids are doing with these animals they are a huge source of danger in low income areas and also one must ask now why so many people now just want that breed of animal. These dogs are like a status symbol kids who have no clear idea how dangerious it is to the general public.

Banning certain breeds will not stop dangerous, irresponsible owners from training dogs as killers. If pit bulls and rottweillers are banned, they'll just move on to german shepards and doberman pinchers instead.

Well I dont think a breed should be banned I think it boils down to personal responsiblity. Unfortunatley that is somthing that is not being practiced a man not far from where I lived was jogging on the boardwalk and was set upon by several stray animals including several pits. It seems people get theses animals as pets and when they outgrow being cute they are abandoned. Living in a big crowded city of ten million where people dont leave there homes and get into a car but instead have to walk around it can be very dangerious. There was another guy who was a drug dealer who let his rotwieler run unleashed in the yard and small kids had to cross the street. I just think its more dangerious in a large city like NY with so many people owning these animals and them roaming around its not like the suburbs or some rural area.

Goodieluver said:
Pittbulls are banned in several cities in america already and its a damn joke

The govt has no right to take a loved one(dog) away from a family because cretins of society use them for bad purposes. Hell, why not ban bullies, put them in cages and euthanize them

I'll drink to that whole statement :D :D

I think they should be outlawed in certain communities. Like Red said, other ddogs can bite and leave puncture marks, a pit bull can bite and crush bones, literally. In any community with children,dogs bred for fighting shouldn't be allowed.

From what i understand, in the last year or two, Pitbulls have been banned in Canada. Personally, i have mixed views on the subject. One on hand, i love pretty much all animals, and in particuler dogs. But, as Red pointed out, Pitbulls were dogs that were bred to fight, and i believe that some of this has been passed down in temperment/reaction to what they percieve as aggression.

Perhaps the best solution would be a nessary licensing for an owner to have such a dog, with possible routine visits from the humain society.

The Apocalypse has come! I actually agree with DREW!!!

Seriously, speaking not only as someone who knows people with rotties and pits, but as an actual owner of a rottie, these are NOT vicious dogs. Every rott or pit I've ever encountered was playful, friendly and lovable. Rotties are often times used as therapy for children with terminal illnesses. The owners take the big galoots to the hospitals where the kids can pet and play with the dogs. And Rotts LOVE the attention. It sounds crude, but I would not be surprised to know that the pit that attacked the kid was tormenting the dog in some way and provoked him/her. It's happened many times before, but the dog always takes the blame.

Instead of blaming and banning the dogs, how about we ban the assholes who mistreat them? Let's euthanize these lowlifes. I bet it would improve the quality of life as well as the gene pool.

Let's also keep in mind that dogs, and animals in general, do not think as we do. When they are provoked, their territory invaded or a loved one is threatened, they will attack without warning. They will not try and reason with their antagonists, or think that maybe the person has had a tough life and is just lashing out at society. They work off of instinct, kill or be killed, survival of the fittest. And to judge them by our standards is plain wrong. Ok, a kid died or someone got hurt. Truth is, death happens. Part of life. If someone gets run over by a bus, do they ban busses? No. The driver is held responsible or the victim is shown to have used bad judgement in crossing the street. This is no different. Let's stop blaming the animals for being themselves and start acting as smart as we like to claim we are.

I live in Ontario and here they have been banned. If you had a pitbull before the ban it must be mussled which is fine. But banning them is stupid. I worked at the humane society and 2 abused pitbulls were 2 of the most friendley dogs I have ever met. Saying the breed is dangerous is like saying all black people are ghetto thugs or all mexicains are theives. These are stero types made in ignorance. Any animal can be dangerous and attack, thats because thet have instinces. A woman who worked at the humane society suffered a sever bite from a nice cat that never bite anyone before but it was her fault not the cats, she probley grabed him without him expecting it and he got scared, he never bite anyone before or after that. When interacting with any animal you must remember there is no such thing as tame, anything can happen. If a ban is neccesary it should be a ban not on pitbulls but on irresponsible owners. If you have small kids not every dog or cat is right for you. And if you have a large dog mussel it or when it bites someone it gets killed for your mistake. Lets respect our animal community and smartin up are human community for the sake of both. :dog: :bunny: :wiseowl: :xbee: :fish: :bat: :cat: :smilestar

slacker2114 said:
The Apocalypse has come! I actually agree with DREW!!!

Seriously, speaking not only as someone who knows people with rotties and pits, but as an actual owner of a rottie, these are NOT vicious dogs. Every rott or pit I've ever encountered was playful, friendly and lovable. Rotties are often times used as therapy for children with terminal illnesses. The owners take the big galoots to the hospitals where the kids can pet and play with the dogs. And Rotts LOVE the attention. It sounds crude, but I would not be surprised to know that the pit that attacked the kid was tormenting the dog in some way and provoked him/her. It's happened many times before, but the dog always takes the blame.

Instead of blaming and banning the dogs, how about we ban the assholes who mistreat them? Let's euthanize these lowlifes. I bet it would improve the quality of life as well as the gene pool.

Let's also keep in mind that dogs, and animals in general, do not think as we do. When they are provoked, their territory invaded or a loved one is threatened, they will attack without warning. They will not try and reason with their antagonists, or think that maybe the person has had a tough life and is just lashing out at society. They work off of instinct, kill or be killed, survival of the fittest. And to judge them by our standards is plain wrong. Ok, a kid died or someone got hurt. Truth is, death happens. Part of life. If someone gets run over by a bus, do they ban busses? No. The driver is held responsible or the victim is shown to have used bad judgement in crossing the street. This is no different. Let's stop blaming the animals for being themselves and start acting as smart as we like to claim we are.
Hmm well as i really dont think its realistic to euthanize the lowlifes who own these animals. And a small child who wonders into the territory of an animal is not thinking that an animal thinks diffrent than humans do they just get bitten.And well you say death happens its part of life? And yes people do get run over by busses and die in plane crashes but why should some small child or adult have to worry about someone who lets thier dog run loose and terrify people. Im always hearing horror stories of pits getting loose and if not killing someone maiming someone for life and lets not forget the deep trauma a peron will have for years to come. This is not just a well shit happens kind of thing. As far as a licence well I live in a city of 10 million people and well dogs breed and friends pass the litter on to other friends and the police cant keep up with that. Im not one to say dogs breeds should be banned but this is sort of like saying having guns in your house will protect the family when in fact at times the opposite occurs.

I saw quite a bit of favorable responses here

For pit bulls - and it is heart warming indeed...!

It is so easy for people to put the blame on dogs, yet you people know your best friends!

LOVE YOU!

Wow, I think it's terrible when anyone is seriously injured or killed by a dog attack, but that does NOT mean that the entire breed is to blame for the aggression of a some dogs who are owned by jerks who don't want them as loving pets, but as some kind of fashionable 'tough' accessory or to be intimidating and mean because they think it's cool. I can say just from roaming the neighborhood walking my own dogs, that I see many pit bulls who are kept tied to a chain outside all day long, with no love or attention from the owners except the minimum to keep them from starving... even worse are people who would beat them or try to bait them into fighting other dogs for their own amusement. How can dogs kept in such conditions learn not to be fearful of people and aggressive? Like all dogs, they need love and care, and proper training.

As an owner of a type of dog that is often labelled as a dangerous killer (she's part wolf...though I think she is pretty low content, and looks mainly white german shepherd, perhaps a little taller and longer)...I know that any breed specific legislation (the banning of a certain type of dog) opens the door for her type and many other large dog types to be banned... (you'd be surprised at some of the breeds that have been brought up in this type of legislation...border collies? Pffft...)

Large breed dogs are obviously more dangerous when they are owned by people who mistreat them or neglect them! Their size alone makes them more of a threat than, say, a yorkie or a beagle. ANY dog can be aggressive, but people take it less seriously when a chihuahua snaps at them than when a pit bull does it. It is not the dog's fault. It is the owners who are responsible for their pets safety, AND for training it so that they can be confident that people who come in contact with their dog will be safe!

And of course, parents need to remember that while kids usually love dogs, they need to teach their children that NOT all dogs are friendly, and to never go running up to pet a strange dog...always ask the owner first, and if the owner isn't around, don't approach the dog.

I'm glad to see that a lot of people here agree that breeds shouldn't be banned and that it's the owners who are responsible... one of the best behaved, most docile, loving dogs I've ever known is a pit bull, he has a good owner :) this problem is huge but it will never get better until people stop breeding and acquiring dogs with no thought as to what kind of life they can provide for them.

I do not think any breed in particular should be banned, but any dog that is not defending his house, and /or owner, and injures a human should be automatically put to death.

And we should never forget the law of the dog&dick compensation "The bigger the dog the smaller the dick of the owner".

AffectionateDan said:
...is this political or religeous? :illogical

Actually since it began as a debate about whether legislation is needed to ban pit bulls, I'd say it was legitimately political. The OJ discussion, on the other hand, is not.

I'm with the majority on this one. I have been working with animals since I could sit up, and I have worked in more than one animal shelter.

Dog bites are caused by a couple things, both include human error. One is lack of education, this is just laziness. Before someone gets an animal, it is their responsibility to do the research and learn how to care for it, train it, and to know their general use. The other main one is cruelty. The person with the animal neglects it, abuses it, and or trains it to abuse others.

Any breed of dog can bite, and if someone wants to bother to do the research, there are more dog bites in this country from Labs than there are any other breed. So does that mean we ban all Labs now? Or just ban all animals altogether? Doesn't make much sense does it.....

4Pawz said:
I'm with the majority on this one. I have been working with animals since I could sit up, and I have worked in more than one animal shelter.

Dog bites are caused by a couple things, both include human error. One is lack of education, this is just laziness. Before someone gets an animal, it is their responsibility to do the research and learn how to care for it, train it, and to know their general use. The other main one is cruelty. The person with the animal neglects it, abuses it, and or trains it to abuse others.

Any breed of dog can bite, and if someone wants to bother to do the research, there are more dog bites in this country from Labs than there are any other breed. So does that mean we ban all Labs now? Or just ban all animals altogether? Doesn't make much sense does it.....
When was the last time a lab crushed the bone it was biting?
Any dog can bite, but pit bulls have more bite pressure per square inch than, I believe, any other breed.

What's New

4/28/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday Eve at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back