• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Please Help Free Lori Berensen!

GuitarPeteTklr

TMF Regular
Most of the time I tend to believe that U.S. journalists in foreign countries, just like our military personnel, have certain occupational hazzards they must deal with on a daily basis in the performance of their job duties that are just matter of course. The situation with Lori Berensen strikes Me MUCH differently and I think deserves compassion from MANY, if not ALL of us. Most of us, in this forum, experiment with consentual restraint and carefully managed (consentual) bondage/tickle torture, at the very least, either giving receiving or both. Lori Berensen has probably NEVER and will likely NEVER know what it is to have such personal freedom of choice/consent! This whole sordid affair has been DEVASTATING to her parents and relatives, as well. Below is a quote from the website organized by advocates (as linked above) for her release from this cruel, unjust, inhumane, and heinous incarceration approaching SEVEN YEARS!
Lori Berenson is a U.S. citizen, human rights activist, and free-lance journalist who currently is serving a life sentence in Perú following her conviction by a secret, hooded military tribunal, in violation of international law.

Lori traveled to Perú in November 1994 and became intrigued with the rich indigenous history, culture, and also interesting political atmosphere. In April 1992, Perú had witnessed a "self-coup" and political upheaval as President Alberto Fujimori attempted to bring peace and order to the chaotic nation with strong leadership and repressive anti-terrorism laws. Lori traveled throughout the country learning about the culture and meeting many poor Peruvians (not difficult to find in a country that has had poverty rates of over 50%).After half a decade of hands-on experience with and study of poverty and the plight of Latin America, Lori was able to obtain assignments from two U.S. publications, Modern Times and Third World Viewpoint, to work as a free-lance journalist. She secured appropriate press credentials in Lima. At the time of her arrest she was researching articles about the effects of poverty on women in Perú.

So...how can you help? I wrote to our President, Secretary of State, My 2 Senators, and house representative. I am preparing to write the Peruvian president and U.S. based companies who have industrial interests/attachment to Peru.

So, please...I beg of you all to, at least do as much as I have thus far. It doesn't cost anything but your time. There are even sample letters on the site, if you feel you cannot find the words. If you are able to do more than that, then bless you.

Let Lori's safe return home from this agregious incarceration be TMF's contribution to the "war on terrorism," since it is "so close to home." It can also be our contribution to restoring peace to the troubled hearts of the Berensen family too.
Sometimes, we (in this forum) just don't know how LUCKY we actually are! Myself included!

Thank you, My friends in tickling...

GuitarPeteTklr:sadcry:

Last edited:
I Hope We're A More Compassionate Group Than The View Stats Reflect...

Hey, gang! I'd bet if it were ANYONE in this forum in Lori's straits, there would be a town hall meeting, with a QUICKNESS! :wow:

Happy Religious Holiday Season! :rolleyes:

GuitarPeteTklr :confused:

Thank you, Pete...

for bringing Lori's case to my attention again. Her plight is heart-wrenching. I have made a donation to the Campaign to Free Lori Berenson, and I will also write letters to my representatives, and to anyone else who might be able to help her.

On a personal note, when I saw her picture, I started to cry. She resembles a dear friend of mine who died several years ago. I would give anything to be able to see my friend again, and I'm sure Lori's family and friends would give anything to be with Lori again.

Not To Sound Defensive...

But I have spoken with Lori's father, Mark, in e-mail correspondence, who informed Me of the convolution of political sentiment and its reporting.

While Lori, he, his wife Rhoda and the family are always grateful for the support, he had diminished hope that ANY forum would not be pray to liberal propaganda. The human rights violations against her right to due process, stand, in any event.

In Mark Berensen's words:
I have never read postings from "chat rooms" because I have heard that writers are either very pro-Lori or very much against her and in the end nobody is convinced of anything. I may be wrong on this, so please do as you see fit. Today's NY Post editorial is just another example of right-wing extremism in our own beloved country and it is about the 10th horrible editorial against Lori since her arrest. They still refer to her as a "Sandalista" which they have boilerplated from their earliest editorials. If Lori is who they think or say she is she would be over 50 years old, not 32. The problem is that a rag like the NYPost is widely circulated and members of Congress read their garbage.

A good holiday to you and your loved ones,

Mark B.
As you know there SHOULD always be 2 sides to every story, and that has NEVER been allowed to be the case in Lori's situation. Please use good conscience, and investigate further, before becoming too reliant on the Liberal controlled press.

I think you will find their accounts distorted and incorrect at nearly every juncture.

Thanks again, to lite, and others who have come to Lori's aid here. Your higher power(s) will look upon you with esteem for doing so.

GuitarPeteTklr;)

Last edited:
Any experienced police officer can tell stories about arresting snotty rich kids. They're arrogant, mouthy and unrepentant because they figure Daddy's lawyer will get them off. Too often, that's the case.

That's my take on Lori Berenson. Looks to me like she figured taking part in someone else's revolution would be a risk-free adventure. No third world country would dare to punish an American! Well, she was wrong, and now she's paying the price.

Furthermore, the fact that Ramsey Clark is her lawyer is a strike against her. That old bastard gave aid and comfort to this country's enemies by going to Hanoi in 1967 and Baghdad in 1991, while other Americans were involved in a shooting war. I might consider trying to spring Lori out of jail, if the Peruvians would lock Clark up in her place.

Strelnikov

Something To Consider, Strel, My Friend...

Hey, Strel, I always appreciate your insight and ability to commit your thoughts to words. I truly respect your command of the english language and your awareness of current events and political climates, sentiments, and undercurrents.

That is why I am surprised that NOBODY (save lite or anonymous others) has bothered to do some deductive reasoning on the "legal" (and I use the term loosely!) activities of military tribunals in war torn makeshift governments in coup beleagured third world countries such as (but not limited to) Peru! And have you considered the prospect of document fabrication and forgery?

Has ANYONE here ever been to visit Amnesty International, which is a veritable expose` of how it REALLY is in foreign "justice" (and I ,again, use the term loosely) systems?

She was interrogated for 9 days and nights, without rest or nourishment! Can you spell coercion? What of her accusers? Do you think they were treated any more humanely during their grueling interrogations? Sounds more like our Salem Witch trials, to Me...And those are tame by comparison with South American third world countries whose "goverments" are torn by war and revolution almost pertually! No such thing as an "honest shopkeeper" in ANY of those courts! Can you spell "kangeroo court?"

I think I have made My point. The reality is that we may NEVER know what brutal methods of physical and psychological torture were REALLY used to obtain such statements in open "kangeroo" courts! Can you spell rape, sexual assault, genital mutilation ,electrotorture, whipping, beating, immersion while bound and helpless underwater for prolonged periods, etc.? These are techniques that are COMMONLY used to extract confessions by these tribunals in the decrepit and worn torn countries during such proceedings...

At the rate we are going, it is likely that Lori will have to DIE at the hands of her captors, before we will ever get to see her physically again. While dead people don't talk, if Lori's corpse can talk, I would bet you ALL would be horrified and need airline nausea bags at your beck and call just to hear the TRUTH about how she is being treated!

For all in this forum who don't have a clue how such countries and their makeshift goverments operate, I SUGGEST, you get one soon, please....

To those who have already responded affirmatively to Lori and her families' aid, I am deeply sorry I had to bring the REAL potential for her mistreatment to light in such GRAPHIC reference.

*GuitarPeteTklr peacelovingly shreds his way back into tickling oblivion*

Last edited:
Pete...

I feel for her family and I'm sure your passion here is from being a truly sympathetic and compassionate person, but the point that Strel so bluntly made and that I hinted at is the fact that this person went out of her way to place herself into this situation...whether or not it was for idealism or fun or adventure or a religous calling or whatever, she CHOSE this path. The activities you have mentioned are indeed common knowledge and were available to her as well prior to making a choice regarding where she was going to intercede. Yes, the tactics used in these situations are deplorable, so why throw yourself into a scenario where you may inevitably wind up having to deal with them? If she had a genuine objective she would have served it far better by working through existing forums for putting pressure on 3rd world nations...some of the very same agencies you have mentioned. That being said, I'd still like to see us extradite her with an agreement in place that she will serve (X) number of years here in the USA... Peace, Q

Has anyone seen the movie "Kiss of the Spiderwoman" or any other movies that depict inprisonment in foreign countries?

The methods of torture, the beatings, starvation, etc. are just deplorable and uncivilized. No human being, whether guilty or not should have to endure such treatment.

The fact that these 3rd world nations use these types of "punishments" says to me that they are beyond moral judgement and WOULD, in fact, use coersion to extract any information, INCLUDING a "confession".

IF, Lori Berenson is guilty, she should be, as Q states, sent back to the US and imprisoned here. Then at least she would get the treatment that every American is entitled to.

I would just like to see the American officials DO SOMETHING to make this matter right and just.

Jen

Pete, Jen, you're good folks, but I think you've fallen into a compassion trap on this case. Berenson is a living example of one of life's truisms: "Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." Q pointed out the many non-stupid options this woman had to promote the cause of justice in Peru. I have no more sympathy for her than I would for someone who climbed a fence at the zoo to play with the bears.

The Peruvians are welcome to her. Maybe she'll do some good where she is, as a horrible example for other foolish young idealists. I'll save my sympathy for innocent victims, like starving kids in North Korea.

Strelnikov

Guess We'll Never Agree On This One...I Will Try Not To Take That For Granted...

Thanks for the kind words, Strel. Can easily say the same of you and Q, based on My experience with you both, too. ;)

It just troubles me to know that if Lori perhaps were...say...a CIA Operative...or someone of that political status...the U.S. Government would have her out of there quicker than you can say "Jack Robinson," with little or no forethought of having a role in a "crime" even more heinous than Lori stands accused of by Peru's "kangeroo court system."

I acknowledged the prepondurance of "due diligence" and "certain occupational hazard" must be observed in journalizing "humanitarian causes" while being a "guest" of a "third world country,"in the first sentence of My initial post. I am just VERY COMPELLED by the magnitude, depth and scope of inhumane treatment she has/had to endure (both disclosed and undisclosed) in light of what is likely non-commission. Lori has maintained her innocence throughout her ordeal (no matter HOW brutally she was treated in Peru's quest for her successful coercion) and any "evidence" the prosecution had is either "coerced testimony" or circumstantial, at best. The "admissions of guilt" even had to be fabricated (late in Castrellon's interrogation), since their essence was too far fetched to even be conceived, let alone be true!

Besides, (devil's advocate here) even if any or all the allegations against Lori were, in fact, true. How much "near death" or "wreckless hate" incarceration must one endure before sufficient pennance is paid for any allegation(s)? It is kind of like deciding that third world countries have the irrevocable right to make the penalty for "jaywalking" leg amputation or even execution just because third world countries have historically had such inclinations. Cruel and unusual punishment which is not consistent with the gravity of the crime alleged, for sure!
For almost three years Lori was held in Yanamayo Prison at an altitude of 12,700 ft. At Yanamayo there is no heat and hot water, and the high windows let in little sunlight but, because
there is no glass, allow the cold wind to lash through the all-concrete cell. In August 1998, after visiting Yanamayo Prison. Antonio Donate of the Paris-based International Federation for
Human Rights said, "I was in the prison in the middle of the day and I had to rub my hands
vigorously to keep them from freezing. ...Since the conditions fall below any minimum standard
for human treatment, we have asked for it to be closed." The high altitude, severe cold and poor
diet seriously affected Lori's health, causing circulatory problems, arthritis, chronic throat and bronchial infections and severe digestive difficulties. In October 1998, the Peruvian government moved Lori to Socabaya Prison at a height of 7,600 ft.

At Socabaya, Lori was again placed in an all-concrete unheated cell. But unlike Yanamayo,
where she shared a cell with another prisoner and shared yard time with several prisoners, in
Socabaya Lori was totally isolated in a separate wing of the prison, not permitted to interact with
or even see other prisoners. After four months, during which time Amnesty International issued
two Urgent Action Alerts pointing out that Lori Berenson's solitary confinement amounts to cruel,
inhuman and degrading punishment, the Peruvian government moved other political prisoners
onto her wing. But Lori was still left in solitude 22 hours each day.

On August 31, 2000 Lori was moved to Santa Monica Women's Prison in Chorrillos, Lima for the duration of her trial.
So...say we entertain the notion that Lori were, in fact, guilty of being an accessory to the crime of treason by having knowledge of one or more of the alleged treasonists' actions, yet no substantive role...much like the abuse of "conspiricy" charges in U.S. courts, when the fashion is to assert guilt by association...and it is an irrevocable fact that she was denied due process according to the standards of Peruvian constitutional law and International law (certainly, U.S. constitutional law! But good luck applying it, I guess!)...How much more of this extremely inhumane treatment would ANY human being have to endure before YOU would consider their "debt" to society paid? Remember...on THIS regimen of incarceration, 20 years is likely equal to a LONG AND AGONIZING LIFE SENTENCE FOR EVEN THE FITTEST OF HUMAN BEINGS in these conditions, even based on the most liberal application of the laws of human endurance! And, in this scenario, we are STILL presuming that the Peruvian government will live by the guideline of its own sentencing mechanism! Honor in Peruvian justice? Now THAT would be a REFRESHING (not to mention UNIQUE) experience!

Strel and Q, bless both of you, My friends, and while we may NEVER agree on the correct course of action for this matter, for whatever rationale may prevail in your hearts...(and such is THANKFULLY our privelege in this forum, in the fairest spirit of debate...a venue whose fairness Lori may likely NEVER know again), you now know My unrelenting position on this matter in excruciating detail!;)

Peace,

GuitarPeteTklr

Last edited:
To me there are two issues, fair trial and weight of the evidence

I don't know much about the Berenson case. Just what I have read in the newspapers. But it seems to me that there are two issues that have gotten intertwined, her right to a fair trial and her guilt or innocence. On her right to a fair trial, guilty or not, she should have due process. But the fact that she did not receive a fair trial the first time around does not, in my judgement, warrant her release or return to the United States. While in Peru, she was and is subject to their laws and standard of justice. If she didn't get a fair trial in the military court, was her civilian court retrial any more fair. I don't know because I haven't reviewed the case. On the issue of her guilt or innocence, I haven't heard much about the evidence against. As I understand it, the government claims to have found explosives in a Tupac Amaru house she was staying in at the time. They also allege that they have a map of the Peruvian Congress in Lori's handwriting that was used in a terrorist attack. If true, that would be damaging indeed. But by itself would not be enough for me to convict were I on a jury trying her case. Pete, were there deficiencies in the civilian retrial? What do you think about the map? How solid is that? I am reserving judgement until I learn more.

Rook

Re: To me there are two issues, fair trial and weight of the evidence

Blackrook said:
I don't know much about the Berenson case. Just what I have read in the newspapers. But it seems to me that there are two issues that have gotten intertwined, her right to a fair trial and her guilt or innocence. On her right to a fair trial, guilty or not, she should have due process. But the fact that she did not receive a fair trial the first time around does not, in my judgement, warrant her release or return to the United States. While in Peru, she was and is subject to their laws and standard of justice. If she didn't get a fair trial in the military court, was her civilian court retrial any more fair?

Thank you for your voice of reason, Rook...You are approaching the whole point about how badly EVEN OUR OWN PRESS HAS BEEN DISTORTING THE FACTS surrounding her case! And now for the non-politically motivated discourse on this "so-called" civilian trial as a "renewed offering of justice" (and the term "justice is, again used loosely).
Peru Supreme Court upholds 20-year sentence
After months of delay, Peru's highest appeals court upheld the conviction and 20-year sentence
imposed against Lori last June 20. The five-judge panel turned down her appeal that she was innocent
of all charges and was imprisoned solely for her beliefs. Dr. Sandoval, Lori's lawyer, had argued that during the course of the civilian trial that commenced on August 28, 2000 there were numerous
violations in fundamental due process and that no evidence was presented nor did any witness testify
that would warrant a conviction. Dr. Sandoval said that the judges relied extensively on the tainted
evidence taken from other prisoners under duress and threats of torture during the original 1995-6
military tribunals. Dr. Sandoval had also pointed out that Chief Judge Ibazeta had prejudiced Lori two years earlier but refused to recuse himself from the case and that the media, now known to be
corrupted by the discredited Fujimori-Montesinos regime, had built up a strong negative public image of Lori that was impossible for her to overcome and that there was never one moment where she was presumed innocent requiring the State to prove guilt.

Press statement by Rhoda and Mark Berenson

We are not surprised at the decision by the Peruvian Supreme Court and are prepared to continue our efforts to bring Lori home. We remain convinced of Lori's innocence and the decision of the Supreme Court today only indicates that the Peruvian judiciary is still in need of reform. The anti-terrorism laws under which Lori was convicted have been universally condemned and need to be changed. Lori is but one of hundreds who wrongfully remain in Peruvian prisons because of this injustice.

As to Lori's future, we remain optimistic. We believe in the strength of the rule of law and we expect Lori to be released. First, we will call upon President George W. Bush to right this wrong, to use his power under U.S.C. 22, Section 1732 and come to the rescue of a U.S. citizen who has been
wrongfully held in a foreign country. Second, we hope that the Inter-American Commission on Human
Rights of the Organization of American States, which has had Lori's case under review for four years and which has already publicly condemned the Peruvian laws under which she was tried, will now be ready to call for Lori's release. And third, we call upon President Alejandro Toledo to pardon Lori. She was a victim of the Fujimori-Montesinos dictatorship that used her as a political pawn for their personal gains. Given that Lori has already been held for more than six years under extremely harsh conditions that have caused permanent damage to her health, we ask him to pardon her immediately.
Blackrook said:
On the issue of her guilt or innocence, I haven't heard much about the evidence against. As I understand it, the government claims to have found explosives in a Tupac Amaru house she was staying in at the time. They also allege that they have a map of the Peruvian Congress in Lori's handwriting that was used in a terrorist attack. If true, that would be damaging indeed. But by itself would not be enough for me to convict were I on a jury trying her case. Pete, were there deficiencies in the civilian retrial? What do you think about the map? How solid is that? I am reserving judgement until I learn more.
Evidence? Hmmmm....that would be a refreshing and sorely needed offering here, Rook....
Three and a half years after her conviction, Perú has finally made definitive claims about Lori's conduct. The three claims -- that she was the tenant of a safe house, that she posed as a reporter with fake ID, and that she made drawings of the Peruvian Congress -- neither support the above accusations of treason, nor are they true.

Lori Berenson rented a room in a large house that later housed MRTA members. She did not know that three people she met there were MRTA members and had moved to another part of town a few months before her arrest. Her lawyer has seen the lease for the house and her name is not on it. She had legitimate press credentials, approved by the Peruvian government, and was writing articles on the effect of poverty on women in Perú for two New York publications, Modern Times and Third World Viewpoint. The editors of these magazines verified, in writing, to the investigating officials, that Lori Berenson was writing articles for them. Lori never drew any maps of the Peruvian Congress and she made no sketches of the Congress. Lori knew Nancy Gilvonio as a Bolivian citizen by another name and did not know about her relationship with members of the MRTA.

Lori has said, "I am completely innocent of the horrendous charges made against me, and there
could not be real evidence that shows such crimes."

To those who have already committed the time and effort to read these items I quoted from The Committee To Free Lori Berensen, I apologize for the long posts and thank you for your continued support of the mission to free our maligned fellow citizen.

I hope this helps to galavanize the obvious for you, Blackrook. Thank you for your interest and concern and I am sure that lite, jen, and Lori Berensen & family echo that thank you.

GuitarPeteTklr

The Latest From The Committee To Free Lori Berensen As Of March 27, 2002

President Bush raises Lori's case with President Toledo

Despite all the predictions and statements from Peruvian officials that Lori's case would not be on the agenda when President Bush made his historic visit to Peru on Saturday, Secretary of State Colin Powell told reporters that President Bush raised the issue and again, like last June, forcefully expressed his compassionate concerns. Taking time out from this important meeting to discuss Lori's situation was clearly an indication to Peruvian President Alejandro Toledo that Lori's case remains an important issue for the Bush administration and for bilateral relations between the US and Peru. President Bush mentioned to President Toledo that the US government was awaiting the pending decision of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights. Now that Lori's appeal to the Peruvian Supreme Court has concluded, the Commission is able to complete its findings and Secretary of State Powell said that "when they have completed their review and made their decision known, perhaps that may offer an opportunity for President Toledo to examine the whole case and take another look at what might be possible." Despite what you may have read quoted from Peruvian officials, Lori's "is not closed."

As we await the decision of the Commission we feel we have the support from the US government and believe Lori's rights will be protected by the Commission. The Commission is next scheduled to meet in plenary session in Washington in the fall but that does not preclude an earlier decision on Lori's case if it should choose to do so.

A report from Reuters listed on CNN this afternoon indicates that the Commission is bringing the case directly to the Inter-American Human Rights Court in San Jose, Costa Rica. To our knowledge, this is not appropriate procedure and we are in the process of questioning/verifying the information in this article. Appropriate procedure requires that the next step be a decision and recommendation by the Commission that would be forwarded to us and to the government of Peru. Any involvement of the Court, if necessary, is a later step in the process.

On behalf of Lori, thank you all for your help!

We are extremely grateful for all your letters, postcards, and calls to President Bush urging his
intervention on Lori's behalf and we are also grateful to the many members of the US Congress for their letters and calls of support. We believed that President Bush would not neglect Lori and we are truly grateful for his expression of concern.

- Rhoda and Mark Berenson

Last edited:
What's New

5/14/2024
If you ned to report a post, click the report button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back