• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Psychological, versus Physical ticklishness

Nonynony

So it's no secret Tickle stories and general thoughts on ticklishness, tend to boil down to the question "How sensitive are you?" or better yet, "how sensitive is your skin?" However, from what I can tell from what I've researched on tickling and experience, while some real stories imply skin might play a factor, basic psychology plays a bigger factor. Obviously, you can get tickled against your will but the reaction tends to be more spastic and noticeable with someone your comfortable or familiar with. I know my EX was less responsive on the days before our inevitable break up.

In addition, it's seems to stronger with either a sense of surprise or anticipation. As much as we like touching particular body parts :drool, many laugh when they're not even touched. And of course, much to our dissapointment :cry, some people can even turn their ticklishness off/ignore the sensation. Even if they're VERY ticklish I've seen people do this.

So yea, just wanta here yalls thoughts on this. Is it more psychological or physical? if more the former, can you psyche people out to be MORE ticklish?(often thought about that as I read about massage.) If physical stuff plays a part, then how?

I think it's both. I've done no research into this, nor am I a psychology expert, but here's what I have noticed from experience:

Ticklishness can be heightened when being touched by an unfamiliar object. Sometimes the ticklishness will dwindle when the object becomes familiar. I recall the first time I tickled my ex with an art brush. I had her foot trapped between my legs, and gently stroked her sole with it. She lit up like a christmas tree with laughter. Later on, after she became familiar with how it felt, the tickling became more pleasurable to her.

In another more recent example, my current GF found a used lollipop stick to be the most torturous tickle device yet. Gentle scratches on her arm sent her into hysterics. It was so bad, that just wagging the lollipop stick at her, taunting her, sent her giggling and thrashing. So, I think psychology definitely plays a HUGE role.

It's definitely both!

Evolutionarily speaking, ticklishness arose from a need to be wary of things crawling on human skin, back when animal and bug poisons could have posed a very serious threat. We're keyed in to light, gentle scurries on our skin because of this.

We're past that point for the most part, but ticklishness remains (thank goodness!) Psychologically speaking, I've found several factors necessary--first safety, and to a lesser degree surprise. If you know what's coming and can brace yourself it's far easier to 'block out' the sensations or as in examples like the ones above me, your mind can get used to the sensations. Changing your method and area of tickling up is often required.

Personally I have always found the safety aspect to be of utmost importance. If I feel like my 'ler is my enemy, someone I have to prove myself to or someone who's trying to make me feel foolish, my ticklishness goes out the window--this is because I spent so much of my childhood and teenhood avoiding being tickled by convincing myself thusly. However, if the illusion of being at odds with someone is removed...I'm literally defenseless :lol

There's an odd mixture of relaxation and tension I've found works best to make a person the most ticklish. You have to be comfortable with the person tickling you yet nervous and apprehensive because you know what they have in store for you. In my experience startle tickles often work for a few seconds but quickly wear off unless something else is added, such as teasing etc.

This is something of a fascinating topic for me so I may be rambling a bit, sorry guys :lol

~K

It's definitely both!

Evolutionarily speaking, ticklishness arose from a need to be wary of things crawling on human skin, back when animal and bug poisons could have posed a very serious threat. We're keyed in to light, gentle scurries on our skin because of this.

We're past that point for the most part, but ticklishness remains (thank goodness!) Psychologically speaking, I've found several factors necessary--first safety, and to a lesser degree surprise. If you know what's coming and can brace yourself it's far easier to 'block out' the sensations or as in examples like the ones above me, your mind can get used to the sensations. Changing your method and area of tickling up is often required.

Personally I have always found the safety aspect to be of utmost importance. If I feel like my 'ler is my enemy, someone I have to prove myself to or someone who's trying to make me feel foolish, my ticklishness goes out the window--this is because I spent so much of my childhood and teenhood avoiding being tickled by convincing myself thusly. However, if the illusion of being at odds with someone is removed...I'm literally defenseless :lol

There's an odd mixture of relaxation and tension I've found works best to make a person the most ticklish. You have to be comfortable with the person tickling you yet nervous and apprehensive because you know what they have in store for you. In my experience startle tickles often work for a few seconds but quickly wear off unless something else is added, such as teasing etc.

This is something of a fascinating topic for me so I may be rambling a bit, sorry guys :lol

~K

No no no! this all great stuff and the whole reason I posted this! Thanks TK lover and thank the rest of you for responding! An interesting to consider thing I've found when looking up this stuff on tickling is social tickling is that might be MUCH older then we thought. For one thing, rats are ticklish! Furthermore, they getting happier and more optimistic when they do it. You can see an article i'll post at the end to find out more, but this is cool stuff because it implies Tickling has been naturally social from a common ancestor, therefore it's come a long way from the creepy crawly stuff but it also might mean there's some psychological benefits to being tickled like crazy as a human if it's the right circumstances.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/11942/20150114/tickling-lab-rats-good-science.htm

Last edited:
No no no! this all great stuff and the whole reason I posted this! Thanks TK lover and thank the rest of you for responding! An interesting to consider thing I've found when looking up this stuff on tickling is social tickling is that might be MUCH older then we thought. For one thing, rats are ticklish! Furthermore, they getting happier and more optimistic when they do it. You can see an article i'll post at the end to find out more, but this is cool stuff because it implies Tickling has been naturally social from a common ancestor, therefore it's come a long way from the creepy crawly stuff but it also might mean there's some psychological benefits to being tickled like crazy as a human if it's the right circumstances.

There's definitely a bonding thing there as well, excellent point. Many animals use it as a playful form of familial bonding actually.

It also releases all kinds of happy chemicals into the brain of any animal, the same as any kind of laughter does (though sometimes moreso if it comes in a bonding experience as we were talking about). That's how come the rats you were referring had a mood change (and the reason many lees do to :lol )

~K

What's New

6/8/2024
If you need to report a post the report button is to its lower left!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back