• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Randomly-Generated Plot Turns in Stories

Senshi1

Staff
So I've been getting way back into writing lately, and finally decided to open a deviantART account, as well as submit stories here. I've been kicking some ideas for stories around, and one stuck with me and I wanted to see what everyone thought.

What I've been doing is experimenting with random plot-turns. By this, I mean at certain points in the story, the direction things follow will depend on something random - in my case, the roll of a dice.

An example would be this. Say in a story, your main character is trying to outrun somebody - police, bandits, their irate ex-lover, whatever. You roll the dice to decide whether or not they succeed. The story will then take a turn depending on the result you get.

As a writer, I've found this very refreshing and fun to do. It gives my own stories a hint of unpredictability, so that even I, the writer, can not predict what exactly will happen. It makes me (and the characters) think on my feet and is a lot of fun to do.

But here's my question - what would it be like to read? Needless to say I wouldn't roll for just anything - it wouldn't be a toss-up between an exciting development and an anticlimactic buzzkill, more like a toss-up between two different but (hopefully) equally entertaining paths. Think of games like Infamous, that have karmic choices that determine the endings.

Would this be interesting to somebody if, say, I was writing a story they requested? I know some people will have every little detail planned in their heads, but will some prefer the unpredictability of this style? Particularly if the story involves somebody they know (my area of focus, as one or two will already know, is people who are married or in a relationship being kidnapped/tortured by somebody other than their partners).

Thoughts appreciated. I'm halfway through a story I'm writing using this system. If I post it here, I'll include (after the story) the points where the "pivotal moments" occur.

EDIT: I just realised that this should probably be in the Writers' Workshop section. My bad - I haven't been here long enough to figure that out yet.

Last edited:
How well it works, from a reader's perspective, depends on how good a job you do of fleshing out the random plot point and merging it into the story.

I'm also reminded of the Raymond Chandler quote on writing detective stories: "When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand."

I'm not sure how this would apply to tickle-stories. Maybe "when in doubt, have a man appear in the doorway with a feather in his hand"?

What's New

5/8/2024
The final Vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is now ongoing. Visit the GFA forum to vote!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back