• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Recent or future college grads fearing no results with a degree??

mass1926

Banned
I keep reading these awful articles about the economy and a shift to blue collar even with a degree. I mean, why are we going to college to do a job that we could've started when we were 18 and just saved up a shitload of money and never owed back loans or wasted money on an education we don't use? I can't understand how suddenly the media is embracing the concept of returning to the older generation of tough and rugged physical labor American jobs when you have an education for the purpose of doing something else with your life. I'm not knocking blue collar workers as they are willing to bust their asses for their earnings (I have done my fair share of blue collar)[/I], but it's not for me and I am back in college like any other college student with the aspirations to do something with my life that betters suits my interests. Believe me, even when I did physical labor jobs, even the dumbest guys there used to say they would do anything to be able to go back to college and get out of that type of work. Most of them had family ties that prevented them from being able to make the leap, but there aren't too many physical labor workers out there who wouldn't love to trade places with a guy with a nice cushy sit down job. Do any other recent college grads or future college grads have the same fears or anguish that I have??

I myself am scared to death of living a life of eternal disappointment upon finishing my degree. I am 27 and have 3 semesters left of school and just can't wrap my mind around the concept that I could be in my 30's working a physical labor job for minimum wage alongside of guys who outrank me at the job based on the fact that they have been there longer despite the fact that I have a degree and many of them haven't finished high school. I worked with guys in the past that needed a calculator to do simple Addition Mathematics to figure out how many cases they picked that night at work!!! It's bad enough to do those jobs in general, but to have a degree and have to take shit from a boss who you are more qualified to be his boss than him be yours is unquestionably terrifying.

I made my mistakes in the past and dropped out of school intially and entered the wonderful world of Blue Collar. Believe me, unskilled labor jobs are no way to make a long-term living. Lifting 30-90 pound boxes over 1200 times per night and only getting paid based on how fast you work is miserable. And yes, they require you to haul ass, and if you can't haul ass at unreasonable rates for 8-10 hours per night, you get written up and reprimanded and eventually walked out the door. These jobs have a "revolving door" where people get hired, fired, or walk the fuck out from frustration on an extremely frequent basis. People say, "it's like that at every job," but does every job require you to be on your two feet for 10 hours per night and lifting boxes repetitively regardless of fatigue factors and muscle pains?? If not then I say "Welcome to the wonderful world of Blue Collar." After a few years of bouncing from one terrible dead-end job to the next, I returned to college to better my life. My family keeps telling me that I may have to take a blue collar job again when I finish college if there is nothing else out there.

I just find that completely ridiculous and unacceptable that we spend a mini home mortgage on a college education that has to be paid back, and we could still find ourselves doing a job that doesn't require a high school diploma. How the hell does that happen?? How the hell can we have a positive outlook on things when there is a 50/50 chance that upon receiving a Bachelor's Degree in this horrible economy, we could find ourselves doing the same job as Cousin Cleetus and his six brothers from different daddies? I here people say "we should just be happy to have work at all and see the positive in it." Positive in what?: Owing 70 grand back in loans and working a job I could've done since I was 16 and never had to pay back any loans or have wasted any time getting a degree that I could've spent working the same shitty job I'm doing after wasting 5 years on learning and owing back a small fortune? Ridiculous concept there. I hope to god we are not all destined to be the smartest warehouse workers in history some day!!!!

Last edited:
Feeling the same way, bro.
Although I'm about 4 years in your past.

Certainly; I'm just about to graduate now and haven't the faintest what I'll be doing in a month's time!

That said, the UK doesn't have much in the way of manufacturing industries or truly "blue collar" work any more, which is why there's such high unemployment. More likely it'd be something like working in a call centre or behind a bar.

Certainly; I'm just about to graduate now and haven't the faintest what I'll be doing in a month's time!

That said, the UK doesn't have much in the way of manufacturing industries or truly "blue collar" work any more, which is why there's such high unemployment. More likely it'd be something like working in a call centre or behind a bar.

I think it's not just so much the hard physical labor blue collar jobs that I am worried about. It's about being convinced that a degree is our ticket to endless potential only to find ourselves only being able to get the same jobs that we could've gotten without a degree. Sure it's nice to say you have a degree, but I would imagine that you feel even worse when you have a degree and get trapped in "under-employment." When you don't have a degree you tend to accept that the best you are going to do is entry level positions or physical labor jobs, and you have that glimmer of hope that if you work hard enough you may get moved up. When you get a degree you expect that you will be able to land a job that you couldn't get with just a high school diploma, and to find yourself still only getting those jobs could feel like someone just sucked all of the life out of you. I can picture totally losing hope at that point.

It's like, how can you take a job seriously when you are ridiculously over-qualified for it, and belong doing something better? I'll again use warehouse jobs as an example. Obviously with a degree you are way more qualified for better employment than someone who doesn't have a high school diploma. Yet thanks to our great economy you find yourself having to deal with bullshit attitude and being told you need to work harder by some guy that you are more qualified for his job than he is, yet because you work in a field where education means nothing, you are stuck in a dead end position. I mean, a degree don't make you a more qualified warehouse worker, or more qualified waitress/waiter, or more qualified Bell Hop.....ect. A degree won't get you better money to do the same job that they can train a guy with no education to do for less money. Which is why I stress the horror of being trapped in a dead end job that education won't give you an advantage in.

Take heart Mass. The economy will rebound, even if it takes a few years. And your degree will serve you well when that happens.

Take heart Mass. The economy will rebound, even if it takes a few years. And your degree will serve you well when that happens.

Thanks for the encouragement. I see you're from Texas, and from what I hear, Texas is becoming a great place to find new jobs. I'm definitely willing to relocate for a job because I have no ties to where I live that would keep me from moving.

Cleaned carpet (tough blue collar work) throughout college and had to continue after getting my BA in psychology for two more years. I just recently landed an office job where I can actually apply some of the skills I acquired in school. There's nothing wrong with hard work, but it's funny how people treat you like an uneducated grunt.

that was one thing that saddened me about working at my job. I worked at a gas station, and we would get all sorts of resumes from people who had probably been in the same boat. I mean, a guy had his master's degree in business engineering, and he was applying to work under ME - and I'm a highschool dropout. A highschool dropout in a managerial position.

*sigh*

Cleaned carpet (tough blue collar work) throughout college and had to continue after getting my BA in psychology for two more years. I just recently landed an office job where I can actually apply some of the skills I acquired in school. There's nothing wrong with hard work, but it's funny how people treat you like an uneducated grunt.

I worked just about as physical a blue collar job as you can do for nearly 3 years between different jobs of the same kind. I was an order selector busting my ass stacking pallets for 8-10 hours per night lifting boxes of all sorts of weights. It beats down your knees, back, shoulders, sides, heels, ect. At only 26 I would limp out of work at the end of the week like a 60 year old man. Money was good, but I was treated like shit by management because to them we were just loser warehousers with no I.Q.'s. I used to apply for positions that I was very qualified for because unlike every other guy there I had over half my college courses done at that point, yet they didn't give two shits. In a warehouse you are a loser with no brain even if you have a degree because management and white collar corporate sees you walking into work to do a job that they can train a 12 year old to do in a day.

When I went into Human Resources to give my notice when I returned to college in the fall, they treated me like a complete idiot. First, they asked me if I had another job lined up, but in a manner as if saying, "you think you're gonna do better than this job?" Second, when I told them I was going to college to finish my degree and not changing jobs, they all collectively smirked because they thought that I was lying. To them it was like, "this idiot warehouser isn't smart enough for college." It was embarassing for me in there because they treated me like so idiot because I worked in the warehouse and I was too dumb to get a degree because I worked in a warehouse. It was insulting as hell.

Thanks for the encouragement. I see you're from Texas, and from what I hear, Texas is becoming a great place to find new jobs. I'm definitely willing to relocate for a job because I have no ties to where I live that would keep me from moving.

It's starting to pick up in certain cities and industries, albeit slowly. And despite what you might have heard we are pretty accepting of hard working, industrious immagrants, even Yankees. :p

If I could be of assistance in any way my pm box is open to you. :)

It's starting to pick up in certain cities and industries, albeit slowly. And despite what you might have heard we are pretty accepting of hard working, industrious immagrants, even Yankees. :p

If I could be of assistance in any way my pm box is open to you. :)

My parents' friends have a son who moved down their around 28 or so because he got a better job offer than up here in Massachusetts. He makes so much money down there that he said he'll never even think of moving back up here now because he's got it so good. He only went down in the first place because his gf had a sister down there, so he found a decent job and moved to Austin, vowing he'd be back to massachusetts within a year. Well, it's been 4 years and he ain't coming back :)

My parents' friends have a son who moved down their around 28 or so because he got a better job offer than up here in Massachusetts. He makes so much money down there that he said he'll never even think of moving back up here now because he's got it so good. He only went down in the first place because his gf had a sister down there, so he found a decent job and moved to Austin, vowing he'd be back to massachusetts within a year. Well, it's been 4 years and he ain't coming back :)

Overall, Austin is a pretty decent place to live. Has it's drawbacks, like any place does. But come on down man. You won't need snow tires for the car anymore. And there are more beautiful ladies here then you can shake a stick at, especially for a guy your age. ;)

Overall, Austin is a pretty decent place to live. Has it's drawbacks, like any place does. But come on down man. You won't need snow tires for the car anymore. And there are more beautiful ladies here then you can shake a stick at, especially for a guy your age. ;)

As soon as I finish school in less than a couple of years I'll be looking into it for sure. I'll be 29 and in my prime so that's a good time to find the ladies. Up here in my city, the good girls are all spoken for by 25 and all that's left are the aging party girls that still try to live out their early 20's clubbing and bar hopping glory days even though they are starting to look 40 before they turn 30. I want no part of that.

As soon as I finish school in less than a couple of years I'll be looking into it for sure. I'll be 29 and in my prime so that's a good time to find the ladies. Up here in my city, the good girls are all spoken for by 25 and all that's left are the aging party girls that still try to live out their early 20's clubbing and bar hopping glory days even though they are starting to look 40 before they turn 30. I want no part of that.

I'll keep the welcome mat out. :) Ah, to be 29 again. The years between turning 25 and 35 were in many ways the best years of my life. I would not object to a rerun. ;)

Education is an investment. Don't take any milestone less. They will give you direct and indirect benefits.

Education is an investment. Don't take any milestone less. They will give you direct and indirect benefits.

Well the way I see it is, you may not get where you want to be right away after getting your degree, although some are fortunate and get a good job immediately. However, if you Never get a degree, you have pretty close to about a 0% diversity in what you can do with your life. If you are a warehouse worker now, theres a good chance you will be for the rest of your life. You also are far more likely to get "trapped" in a job that sucks with no other better options elsewhere.

One thing I know for sure is that once you get a degree you have a chance to go anywhere in the country to work. Without a degree, nobody is gonna hire you in a warehouse in Florida if you live in Massachusetts. Believe me, I tried it more than a few times to relocate when I was a warehouse worker. I was told by each place, "apply when you move down here." Funny thing is, you can't just up and move if you don't have a job waiting, and if you can't get a job to hire you so that you can move, then you're pretty much stuck. Those are just some of the reasons that motivated me to return to college.

Depends a bit on what you study; the biotechnology sector is still hungry for more, so if I finish my BSc, MSc and eventually get myself a PhD there's lots of work waiting for me.

certain fields in education are also good places to find jobs. This is one of the reasons I'm getting into Special Education. (aside from the fact that I wanna shake up the system and see it done right one day). I have no reservations about going back to school, surely even if it's later on down the line, I can be proud of being the first college graduate ever in my family :D

every decade has a few years where the economy sucks for new grads. as a result, grad school becomes a more desirable option for many. over your lifetime, you will ultimately make far more with a college degree than without. you will also be qualified for far more jobs, as many jobs require a college degree regardless of major.

here are some web sites you might like to check out:

http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/tPg.cfm?pageID=948
http://www.earnmydegree.com/online-education/learning-center/education-value.html
http://www.aei.org/outlook/100034

every decade has a few years where the economy sucks for new grads. as a result, grad school becomes a more desirable option for many. over your lifetime, you will ultimately make far more with a college degree than without. you will also be qualified for far more jobs, as many jobs require a college degree regardless of major.

here are some web sites you might like to check out:

http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/tPg.cfm?pageID=948
http://www.earnmydegree.com/online-education/learning-center/education-value.html
http://www.aei.org/outlook/100034

Thanks, that actually makes me feel more hopeful. I'm not looking for a specific career job. I'm finishing with a BS in Liberal Arts, so I'm not looking to be like an accountant or something. I just want the potential to do a job that isn't in the physical labor sector. I'm only 27 and my left shoulder is already super fucked up from doing that type of work up to this point and I have no future in it. Your body can only hold up for so long and then you have to rely on your brains to make it. I don't wanna be 45 and stuck in physical blue collar world, but my body can't handle it anymore. I think that a college grad would have to be literally not looking for any kind of work (not just work in their field, but any type of white collar job that you can get with a degree) if they go 3 or 4 years after getting a degree and still find themselves doing work that don't require a degree.

Keep at it.

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Calvin Coolidge

Thanks, that actually makes me feel more hopeful. I'm not looking for a specific career job. I'm finishing with a BS in Liberal Arts, so I'm not looking to be like an accountant or something. I just want the potential to do a job that isn't in the physical labor sector. I'm only 27 and my left shoulder is already super fucked up from doing that type of work up to this point and I have no future in it. Your body can only hold up for so long and then you have to rely on your brains to make it. I don't wanna be 45 and stuck in physical blue collar world, but my body can't handle it anymore. I think that a college grad would have to be literally not looking for any kind of work (not just work in their field, but any type of white collar job that you can get with a degree) if they go 3 or 4 years after getting a degree and still find themselves doing work that don't require a degree.

A Liberal Arts degree is somewhat generic; and I don't mean that in a bad way. Once you graduate, go out and see what you can find in the white collar sector. If you don't find anything, I suggest you concentrate on something more specific and pursue either your Masters or a certification program. A degree plus some continued education might be the thing you need to open some doors for yourself.

My bachelors is in Business Management but my masters is MBA. My mistake was not going for a certification instead. Now I have a lot of skills I'll never use or are even interested in. Besides MBA's are a dime a dozen in my city and now I don't want anything to do with it.

You keep saying you want something in the white collar sector; have you given any additional thought to what that is? I know the economy sucks and people are taking whatever they can get to pay the bills. However at some point things will improve and you should start moving towards things that you like or are good at and will make you happy and more fulfilled in your career.

Just always be on the lookout for opportunity; with three semesters left, you can begin your career search now just to see what's out there. You can put your pending graduation date on your resume and even look at internship opps. The pay sucks, but it gets you in front of potential employers. The job market is very competitive, but you're young; the young out-of-the-box thinkers are the ones getting the jobs. Be creative and aggressive......most of all, good luck.

I worked just about as physical a blue collar job as you can do for nearly 3 years between different jobs of the same kind. I was an order selector busting my ass stacking pallets for 8-10 hours per night lifting boxes of all sorts of weights. It beats down your knees, back, shoulders, sides, heels, ect. At only 26 I would limp out of work at the end of the week like a 60 year old man. Money was good, but I was treated like shit by management because to them we were just loser warehousers with no I.Q.'s. I used to apply for positions that I was very qualified for because unlike every other guy there I had over half my college courses done at that point, yet they didn't give two shits. In a warehouse you are a loser with no brain even if you have a degree because management and white collar corporate sees you walking into work to do a job that they can train a 12 year old to do in a day.

When I went into Human Resources to give my notice when I returned to college in the fall, they treated me like a complete idiot. First, they asked me if I had another job lined up, but in a manner as if saying, "you think you're gonna do better than this job?" Second, when I told them I was going to college to finish my degree and not changing jobs, they all collectively smirked because they thought that I was lying. To them it was like, "this idiot warehouser isn't smart enough for college." It was embarassing for me in there because they treated me like so idiot because I worked in the warehouse and I was too dumb to get a degree because I worked in a warehouse. It was insulting as hell.

Mass1926, Very few, if any, people score the "best job/career/position in the world"(figuratively speaking) right after they graduate. Also, times are hard and finding said jobs are challenging for sure, but only in the short run. If history has taught us anything, as long as your persevering in reaching your goal, you WILL have the last laugh:rockon:

All I ever thought about was "I will show you.."

Mass1926, Very few, if any, people score the "best job/career/position in the world"(figuratively speaking) right after they graduate. Also, times are hard and finding said jobs are challenging for sure, but only in the short run. If history has taught us anything, as long as your persevering in reaching your goal, you WILL have the last laugh:rockon:

All I ever thought about was "I will show you.."

Well, I think a big part of me is concerned with having to return to that type of work. I really and truly hate those types of jobs, and I am the type that gets down easily. I don't want to end up totally discouraged and just give up and wind up doing shitty jobs the rest of my life.

What's New

5/9/2024
If you need to report a post, the report button is to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back