• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Screen names vs real names

LD_Tickler

4th Level Yellow Feather
You know what nuance of internetting I never wrapped my head around?

Well, you probably do know, having read the thread title. FINE.

But yeah. The TMF serves as an example. I'm always interested to see when some members start opting to refer to themselves, or others, by real names rather than usernames. Or sometimes, even change their username to their real name, or something closer.

I guess it's a natural function of getting to know people more? Or maybe because lots of people meet face to face, and after that it seems silly to use aliases?

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or find it interesting? Personally, I'm comfortable with vague, impersonal usernames for myself, and I never use someone's real name even when everyone else seems to.

I don't like my real name being posted or used on the TMF, so I ask others to refer to me by my screen name. I try to return the favor for everyone else, but sometimes it slips with people who don't care either way.

It doesn't feel weird to refer to people by their screen names on the forum, but if I know them well I feel like a dipstick using their screen name face to face.

I don't like my real name being posted or used on the TMF, so I ask others to refer to me by my screen name. I try to return the favor for everyone else, but sometimes it slips with people who don't care either way.

It doesn't feel weird to refer to people by their screen names on the forum, but if I know them well I feel like a dipstick using their screen name face to face.

I think I'd still insist on people calling me LD face-to-face. It would make me feel like I'm in the Matrix.

I think I'd still insist on people calling me LD face-to-face. It would make me feel like I'm in the Matrix.

If it came to that I'd have to make up a name to call you, for my own peace of mind. I hope you like Hidalgo.

I've been called Marquis in real life before by people who know who I am. Shrug. It's whatev. It's also funny when someone mispronounces it.

That's still a name though, technically. I'd feel like an idiot calling someone TICKLEFEETZPEOPLE11238 in real life.

Apologies to anyone here whose name is TICKLEFEETZPEOPLE11238.

But yeah. The TMF serves as an example. I'm always interested to see when some members start opting to refer to themselves, or others, by real names rather than usernames. Or sometimes, even change their username to their real name, or something closer.

I guess it's a natural function of getting to know people more? Or maybe because lots of people meet face to face, and after that it seems silly to use aliases?

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or find it interesting? Personally, I'm comfortable with vague, impersonal usernames for myself, and I never use someone's real name even when everyone else seems to.

I've often times found it weird when I see people do it mainly because it has to confuse the heck out of people who don't know people's real names. Like if I were to substitute "John" for "username", how would anyone who is new or unfamiliar with "username" know that's who I'm talking to or referring to. They don't.

I generally don't use people's real names because 1) I don't have their permission to do so and 2) not to confuse other members about who I'm talking to or referring to in a thread.

I only address people here by their real first name if I know they are okay with it. A lot of my friends would rather I not, which is fine also. Some of them I've met in person or at least spoken to by phone, others not. Just depends on the person I guess. People can call me Bug, Buggy, Brad, asshole or whatever. I don't worry about it, I'm too old to care about such things anymore.

Once I meet people I tend to call them by their real name, when in person. On the forum, I still use their screen name, if only to make it clear who I am referring to.

I have noticed that "sand", "sandman", and "sandy" are all now nicknames of mine at MTP. Oddly, I took right to answering to them. Go figure.

I don't know anybody's real name on here, but if I did, I'd never refer to them openly by their real name. I've seen one guy in particular who is a notorious name dropper. He refuses to refer to the people he knows by their screen names. I think he's proud of all the gatherings he's been to. It's like he needs people to know his social status in the community. I often wonder how some of these people feel about having their real names broadcast like that.

I don't know anybody's real name on here, but if I did, I'd never refer to them openly by their real name. I've seen one guy in particular who is a notorious name dropper. He refuses to refer to the people he knows by their screen names. I think he's proud of all the gatherings he's been to. It's like he needs people to know his social status in the community. I often wonder how some of these people feel about having their real names broadcast like that.

Yeah, it would be totally inappropriate for somebody to use a friend's real name openly without the friend's permission. I'm talking more about when people suddenly decide they'd rather be known by their actual name online.

Use a friends name?

How about an old imaginary friend from your childhood. Like, Bosco?

I've been called Marquis in real life before by people who know who I am. Shrug. It's whatev. It's also funny when someone mispronounces it.

That's still a name though, technically. I'd feel like an idiot calling someone TICKLEFEETZPEOPLE11238 in real life.

Apologies to anyone here whose name is TICKLEFEETZPEOPLE11238.

Exactly! :rowfull:

Most of my friends on here know my real name and I've seen it slip on occasion, but if on this or another fetish site I much prefer to be called by my user name, as do most folks. Although I'm so used to Leafy that it doesn't weird me out if I'm called that in other contexts as well :jester:

I have no problem with my real name being used by others, but my general policy is not to use anyone else's unless given express permission.

Iunno. I guess Jo stuck & I've used it around forum enough anyways, I suppose.

I still get called Crystal from time to time at Gatherings, so I'll just tell 'em to call me Jo instead.

I found a while ago that it was easier fors to type my real name as opposed to a screen name I had to make up. That and it is easier in a fast moving chat room to notice your own name than the SN that you don't use everyday. But that may just be me. :)

I chose this screen name because I refused to make one with the word 'tickle' in it. If you have the word 'tickle' in your screen name, you've ensured a form of anonymity-unless your personality really sticks out like a sore thumb in these threads, no one's really gonna remember you. I'd like to be known.

Eight years on, 'Knox' has become a nickname. As such, it works well. I like it. Within these walls, I guess I prefer it.

I have nicknames for certain people that I am friends with on the forum. I do this because I like the user, and want to show affection for them. Usually, the nickname is a part of the actual screen name with a twist. I never usually call anyone my their real name because I don't like people to use mine on this message board.

Aimee...Amy...Mammers...Aimers...It's all good either way.

I don't even think about using someone's real name...if I have it was probably just by accident. Then again...I suck at remembering names sooo...I usually just respond to everyone by their handle anyway. :shrug:

Initially I chose "Rusty Shackleford" because to me it's the ultimate alias, and I find it a pretty funny joke on top of a pretty funny name.

I'll only use my real name if the context of the discussion calls for it. I mean, I'm here to meet other people, I think it's a natural progression to start using people's names. I mean, it's your name, after all, and its not like people are dropping last names.

I would never post my pic publicly on here, BTW.... it's just too much of a "Security risk", if you'll excuse what most will think is unnecessary precaution. I have no problem swapping pics with people I meet here privately, but to permanently associate my postings here with my face is not something I'm cool with.

Initially I chose "Rusty Shackleford" because to me it's the ultimate alias, and I find it a pretty funny joke on top of a pretty funny name.

I'll only use my real name if the context of the discussion calls for it. I mean, I'm here to meet other people, I think it's a natural progression to start using people's names. I mean, it's your name, after all, and its not like people are dropping last names.

I would never post my pic publicly on here, BTW.... it's just too much of a "Security risk", if you'll excuse what most will think is unnecessary precaution. I have no problem swapping pics with people I meet here privately, but to permanently associate my postings here with my face is not something I'm cool with.

Hahaha... Oh Dale...

That show has THE best humor.

I think everyone kind of covered it. People I know personally I use their name when speaking to them or about them in the context of a thread started or participated in mostly by people that all know each other. If referencing someone in a general thread, I'll use their screen name for the sake of people knowing who I'm talking about. A few friends, even some we know extremely well away from here, like Blackestlily, we already know that she prefer not to have her name used at all, and we adhere to that. You pretty much follow what your friends would prefer, just like in real life. If your friend John, went by his middle name Thomas because he hated the first, you'd follow that request.

The funny thing is, some people get called by their handle, almost exclusively even in real life. I don't know if its because subconsciously their real name doesn't "fit", or if the handle just slips off the tongue better. Examples are Slacker and Natural. They are like family to a lot of people here, away from the forum, but are called by their handles probably 90% of the time or more.

What's New

5/8/2024
The final Vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is now ongoing. Visit the GFA forum to vote!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back