• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Some 60s sounds

The Velvet Underground - "Venus in Furs"

Album: The Velvet Underground & Nico

Released on: 3 - 12 - 1967

Ha. The Velvet Underground was on Verve....and the other rock act that they had on that label was Zappa (The Mothers Of Invention). They were kind of rival bands. Well....Lou and the Velvets didn't get along with ANYBODY, weren't accepted by either California scenes (S.F. or L.A.), and were pretty much consigned to playing Boston as their home base, and touring around the ballroom circuit. They didn't even play NYC in their middle years!

Anyways, here's a great Zappa tune, half-parodying the flower power movement, but also taking the piss out of fashion trends, including the great anti-fat shaming line:

Who cares if hair is long or short or sprayed or partly grayed?
We know that hair ain't where it's at
There will come a time when you won't even be ashamed if you are fat!

Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance

Another modern cover of an old song (having just posted a version of Landslide by the Dixie Chicks over in the 70s thread.)

I feel like Bon Jovi found something interesting in the song "Help" - it almost makes more sense when it's done like this. The original, which is of course great, sounds almost celebratory, where this sounds like someone really crying out for help. It's... sadder.

Hadn't heard this, thanks!

Awwww, this song just popped into my head walking home from work, one of the great one-hit wonders, haven't heard it in years so.....it's time! Such a cute "story" in the lyrics! And the intro is in 9/8 or something like that......pre-Prog odd-time signature! ("All You Need Is Love" is another, that's in 7 but it's so well-written that you don't even notice, lol).

Anyways.....come on down to my boat, baby! :)

Every Mother's Son: Come On Down To My Boat

Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash cover Carl Perkins "Matchbox"

This is from the recently released Bootleg Series Vol 15.

- Take 1. From 1968-ish

This is one of my favorite songs ever. I love how it sounds like a lullaby.

It's from the movie Rio Bravo starring John Wayne, Ricky Nelson, Angie Dickinson, and Dean Martin.

This is a duet between Ricky and Dean. The movie came out in 1959, but I hope it's close enough to share here.

Cheryl Thompson - "Black Night" (not entirely sure of the year, but I think it's 60s)

The Devotions - "Devil's Gotten Into My Baby" (1966)

Cheryl Thompson - "Black Night" (not entirely sure of the year, but I think it's 60s)

Whoah!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know either of these!!! These are FANTASTIC!!!!! I'm absolutely blown away. Oh man, am in a good mood right this second, you have no idea, I was just pacing the floor, really pissed off about something that happened today, totally changed my head around, seriously, what a gift you just gave......wow. That "Black Night", whew!

Thanks, Chi', I'm going to be listening to both of these for the rest of my life!

The Exciters - "Tell Him" (1963)

Ah, an old Scopiotone. Scopiotone was a short-lived video jukebox in the early 60s that never caught on. They're so cool to see and, until You Tube, very hard to obtain, I paid a small fortune back in the 90s for a couple of video tape's worth from a collector.

("Tell Him" is one of my fave "girl group" songs....even though there's only one girl in the group! lol)

Skeeter Davis - "The End of the World" (1962)

The song of 2020, lol.

One of my all-time favorite songs.

Love the other two above that as well! The ones on Excello and Vee Jay, two of the great indies of the 50s and early 60s. You're on a roll, DJ!!!!

Vee Jay was actually black and (half-) female owned - unusual for the day - and, among other things, was the first label to put out The Beatles in the United States. Unfortunately, the legal problems that led to once they blew up (along with mismanagement of company funds; one of the execs had a gambling problem, if memory serves me right) put Vee Jay out of business a year later. The "Vee" in Vee Jay stands for Vivian Bracken. (And the J is for her husband John, or James,I can't remember).

I always thought Vee Jay had the most beautiful looking label. Excello always looks cool on your record player as well. ;)

GREAT records you're spinning tonight!

Last edited:
Aw Internet, thanks for listening and all the kind words! I'm so glad they were able to brighten up your day for you! Happy Sunday and happy listening!

Aw Internet, thanks for listening and all the kind words! I'm so glad they were able to brighten up your day for you! Happy Sunday and happy listening!

I've played that "Black Night" track multiple times since you posted it!

Man, it's hard to find (studio) Jimi on youtube. I wanted "Drifting" but.....this will do.

Jimi Hendrix: May This Be Love

Bob Dylan - "The Times They Are A Changin'", a classy song.

Great choice, Valsyn, couldn't agree more. Definitely 60s.....and yet as relevant as ever unfortunately. That's my favorite Dylan album from his first early acoustic period, and has two of my favorite Dylan - or even non-Dylan - songs of all time, "Boots Of Spanish Leather", and "The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Caroll", another song that's unfortunately just as pertinent as ever.

("One Too Many Mornings", and "Hollis Brown" are pretty great, as well. Same album)

What's New

4/29/2024
Check out the TMF Gathering Forums to see who is meeting when and where!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back