• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

The current news, which is not as good as I had hoped

TMF Jeff

TMF owner and co-founder
This is a letter that I just sent out to the Archive subscribers. It pretty much speaks for itself in terms of the future of the TMF...

>>>
As most or all of you know, the TMF has been having some serious problems staying up lately. Right now the thinking is that it might be due to the incredible volume of traffic that the Archives has been generating.

In the 10 days of June, the Archive has had 300 gigabytes or more of traffic. The feeling is that so many requests to the processor have caused it to grind to a halt.

However, unfortunately, that is not the worst news. The real bad news is the traffic itself. Even if we moved onto a faster server that could handle such volume of requests, the TMF Archives cannot afford to pay for that bandwidth.

Here's how it breaks down:
The server costs $200 per month now, and in order to handle the volume of traffic we are talking about, we need to upgrade to the $800 per month model with the dual SCSI hard drives and dual processors. At bulk rates for bandwidth, it would be $2 per gig. Over a month we would hit between 1000 and 1500 gigs of bandwidth at the rate we're going. Splitting the difference, lets call it 1250 gigabytes. Times two is $2500, plus the $800 flat rate is a total of $3300 per month to run the Archives.

There are about 400 members in the Archives right now, each paying $5 per month. Of that, ibill keeps about $1. so 400 members times $4 = $1600. You can see how that is not enough to pay for itself.

Therefore I am shutting down the archives, at least temporarily and probably forever. I will cancel all rebillings and will issue refunds to anyone who wants one.

However, I ask that you keep in mind that these refunds are going to come out of my pocket, not from ibill. Therefore I wish to make a counter-offer. Let me double your money in merchandise in the form of a ten dollar coupon, which you can use to buy one of my videos or a magazine from MTJ Publishing (Thanks to Morandilas for helping out!!!)

I realize that thats not the same thing, but I hope you all will understand that the Archive was not a business, and I really put my neck on the chopping block to try to make it work. I deeply regret the loss of it, I felt very strongly that it would be a great long-term benefit to the tickling community.

I especially regret the loss and inconvenience to each of you, and I wish there were some other way to do this. If I let the Archives stay up until the end of the month, I would end up having to pay most of the $2000+ in bandwidth charges out of my own pocket, even assuming that I could get the server to stay up with all this traffic happening..

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN ABOUT THE TMF?

What that means for the TMF is that it is not going to be self-supporting. This in and of itself is not the end of the world. What it means primarily is that we won't be able to host images and video clips anymore on our own machine. Essentially things will go back to being very much the way they were on ezboard, only much much cooler.
>>>

I received an email from someone saying that they had found a password for the Archives on one of those password trading sites. The excess traffic could have been caused by that, but unfortunately the cause doesnt really matter. Theres no way I can risk having that happen again, by whatever means.

I hope this goes to show why password trading is so wrong. It's not just an abstract thing, it can kill websites entirely. We're lucky that there's still going to be a TMF at all.

Hey, Jeff...yes, that's really sad news.

Don't worry about my refund. I'm wondering how many people out there would be willing to pay more? I know that we're a diverse group of people, with different means, but to me five dollars is such a little amount considering what you get for it.

Right now it looks like the archives needs another $1700 a month to stay active. With 400 members, that's...hmmm...1700 divided by 400 is the same as 17 divided by 4, or a little more than $40. So the archives would have to charge about $45 a month to stay up, if the membership holds steady.

What do you say, folks? I'll throw my hat into the pot. Anyone else out there think it's worth it?

glen

Oops. Yeah, um...right...carry the zero, and...damn! I knew I should have paid more attention in school. But, hey, I was thinking $45 a month was worth it, so at least I made an error in the right direction. So how about it, Jeff? (I could take out three subscriptions, to stay true to my word...)

glen

The news of Psycho's departure started a discussion of religion on the AMT that was actually rather fascinating (at least by AMT standards). Sometime later I may post my own opinion on the topic (in here, of course, not in flame-land).

One thing stands out, though: Please take note that just about the ONLY people who had nothing to say about Psycho's abrupt departure were the spoiled brats who kept whining about having to fork over an OUTRAGEOUS five clams to see the pictures in the Archives.

Funny how quickly some people dummy up when someone comes along and takes their cookies away.

Hey Jeff!

We responded to your letter via e-mail, but I will post here as well. No manner of refund is necessary for my wife and I. As to the archives
themselves, the offer of putting a TMF image archive up on the venray site stands. We can't unfortunately handle the clips, but the sbpix,
madtickle and other series images can be accommedated (sp?) there.

There would be no charge to anyone for viewing the images just as there is no charge for our current site. Let us know what you think about the practicality (is that a word?) and we will do all we can.

You have our e-mail address. Thank you for all that you have done with the help of the mods to keep the TMF going! We're with you for
the duration. (May it be a long one)

R & T

First of all I would like to say hi to everyone again, I have just gotten back to normal from moving & finding a new job along with other endeavors.

I'm sorry to hear the archives being closed, that's a major bummer. When I first started my site I used www.psend.com, and I accidentally stepped on their big toe when the site generated 100-200gb per week of transfer. That was when I only had about 100 movie files too, I can imagine TMF having a ton more of files than I did. The traffic really adds up doesn't it. :(

I have been searching the net for dedicated servers that allot for that kind of traffic, but have yielded no returns yet. I will search harder after Thursday when I get my wisdom teeth :eek: removed :eek: b/c they are occupying my attention at the moment. :(

Take Care,
TickleTheater

I got in too late!!

What terrible luck! Yesterday I decided to join the archives -- and they get closed down the SAME DAY! Please keep the $5.00 -- you deserve it for your efforts.

Thanks All!

Hello All,

Jeff told me yesterday that he is planning to be a bit busy getting a video out in the next few days, so it may be awhile before he gets a chance to read your wonderful support. I want you to all know that I apprecite it.

Jeff has really stepped up for the forum, and without him, I'd only have a smoking crater of a 404 page to run. So you're support of him does my heart good.

Venrey, once things settle down, I think your idea to handle the major picture series is one we will take you up on. Those should be up someplace. Give us some time to get things settled down, and we'll talk about how to do it.

Tickletheater: Good luck with your wisdom teeth! Finding an affordable server that allows for the intensive bandwith that tickling clips in bulk generate seems to be something that the web can't do quite yet. We went the rout of having our own, and by Jeffs numbers above you saw the result. We were just too popular.

Thanks all!
Myriads

I never complained.

I 4 one am not a subscriber to the Arch, but I never complained about it either.

hey jeff al lot of us out here are computer professionals. Im a network conltant myself. I bet if a few of us look around we can find a cheaper method for you that would be afforable. if you want to send the specs of what your using now to me Ill talk to some web gurus I know. [email protected]

Myriads

No problem Myriads. We aren't going to leave so when things are settled we will be happy to help in whatever way that we can.

R & T

Door 44 Productions
What's New

5/8/2024
The final Vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is now ongoing. Visit the GFA forum to vote!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back