• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

The Lure of The Darkside

ShiningIce

3rd Level Green Feather
What is it exactly about the darkside that has lured so many to it? Surely they must realize in the end they will know nothing but ruin. Yet they walk the shadowy path to power and dominance.

Many do not possess the patience to fully understand the true nature of the Force. The Dark Side is a quicker, easier path that requires little effort to start.

Many are tempted by the Dark Side unknowingly. Most don't start with something like crushing someone's heart, rather it's something akin to a selfish act performed with the Force that could have been done without it. Once the ball gets rolling, it's easy to get immersed before you even realize what's happening.

In the case of the Sith, they know what they're doing, but believe that it's the true Path in the Force.

Um I think you could apply Dave's reply to both real life and Star Wars. Anyways, Could someone elaborate on the species that is invading the Republic in the recent books? I'm clueless myslef. :confused:

Ok...the Yuuzhan Vong. They are a humanoid race from outside the galaxy (presently unknown exactly where). They utilize nothing but living creatures in thier "technology". Everything from thier ships to their weapons to their clothing is a living thing. They consider mechanical technology to be an affront to their gods. They belive that the prime god, Yun-Yuuzhan, cut off parts of himself to create the other gods and the Universe. Thusly, they embrace pain as virtuous and mutilate themselves as a show of devotion and/or station.

They have several castes. The warriors, priests and shapers being three of the main ones. Shapers are those who spend thier lives genetically altering a myriad of species and organisms to become what they want.

The Republic had their hands full combating them at first. They employ creatures known as dovin basals in their ships and fighters. They manipulate gravity, allowing them to give the ship thrust, manueverability and defense. Defense is in the form of the dovin basal creating a small gravatic anomoly (like a small black hole) to "suck in" laserfire and torpedoes. They are also useful in ripping the shields off of Republic ships. The Republic has been able to counter this by expanding the inertial compensation field around their ships to bolster the shields and by utilizing a chain-linked firing system. Several "stutter blasts" are fired at the Yuuzhan Vong vessel, causing the dovin basal to concentrate on providing defense. The ship loses a bit of speed and control momentarily. Once overwhelmed with the "laser darts", the dovin basal is unable to protect the ship against full-force lasers or torpedoes.

The other interesting aspect to the Yuuzhan Vong is that they are utterly absent in the Force. Jedi cannot sense them or use many of the tricks they'd use on other sentients. When a Jedi fights a Yuuzhan Vong warrior, it is often an even match. While the Force can give the Jedi increased speed and reflexes, it cannot help one anticipate the Vong's next move.

What is really wonderful about this series is that the bad guys are almost understandable. They are not evil for the sake of being evil, but truly believe that it is thier right and responsibility to rid the galaxy of the "infidels". Also, unlike so many other series, where you know the heroes will live no matter what they have to go through...many main characters are dying in this one. The Yuuzhan Vong have taken over a third of the galaxy at present, and they don't lok like they'll be stopped soon. Coruscant is in ruins and many important worlds (Ithor, Kessel and Dathomir to name a few) have been either destroyed or changed. The Vong are like the Nazis in a way, and this invasion is chillingly close to the invasion of Europe in the '30's and '40's.

All of the galaxy's big players are out in force in this series as well. The Imperial Remnant, the Chiss, the Hapans, the Hutts...I'm waiting for the Ssi-Rukk to show up!

I highly recommend this series, even if you're not a huge Star Wars fan. It is excellently written, involving twisted politics, romance, action and moral issues. Luke's struggle to keep the Jedi together with pressure from all sides (including within the ranks) is a fascinating angle to this as well.

If you do wish to read it, you really need to read them in order:

Vector Prime

Dark Tide I - Onslaught
Dark Tide II - Ruin

Agents of Chaos I - Hero's Trial
Agents of Chaos II - Jedi Eclipse

Balance Point

Edge of Victory I - Conquest
Edge of Victory II - Rebirth

Star by Star

Dark Journey

The series is slated to wrap up in 2003

Hope this has been helpful.:cool:

It's hard being good, but easy to be bad.

The books Dave has listed are interesting. I've read the first two. I liked them (espeacialy the first one 'Vector Prime') I never had a chance to read the follow ups, but plan to. I'm currently reading 'The Approaching Storm' it takes place shortly before the 'Attack of the Clones'. I'm about a quater of the way through it. Has any one else read this book? What did you think? Without giving anything away.

I just finished "The Approaching Storm" last week. This is an excellent book, and a great set-up for Episode II. You actually learn more about the inner workings of Anakin/Vader in this one than in most other references. I don't want to give anything away, so keep reading, you'll be surprised.:cool:

What's New

5/15/2024
The TMF Links forum keeps you updated on tickling sites all around the web.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back