• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

The Other September 11th...A Moment of Pride

Dave2112

Level of Cherry Feather
With all of the tributes and remembrances surrounding us today, I thought a little pride might be in order. The date of September 11th has a dual importance for those of us in upstate New York, especially those of us in the Plattsburgh region. This date had long been a legislated day of remembrance, not for the events of 9/11/2001, but for the events of 9/11/1814.

This was the day that for all intents and purposes, America ultimately won her freedom. It was on this day that the Battle of Plattsburgh took place, considered by many to be the greatest victory in American naval history. Thomas McDonnough and his troops, ships and smaller force turned back the 14,000 strong invading British fleet, the same fleet that had recently defeated Napoleon, on Lake Champlain. Had the British taken Plattsburgh, a run down the “corridor” of the Champlain Valley would have been unstoppable, and most of New England re-taken. Instead, the British were soundly defeated and turned back to Canada. So many of our schoolchildren learn of Yorktown, Bunker Hill and the other, more famous battles of the American Revolution, but few know how the final anvil was dropped right here in this small section of lake in upstate New York.

The parallels of these two dates, taking place at almost the same time of morning but separated by 187 years, is not lost on those of us here. An attack on American soil, coming early in the morning with little or no warning, by a force intent on bringing us to our knees and bending our will.

A failure both times.

Although a huge, world-changing victory was claimed on 9/11/1814, there was still a victory in 9/11/2001. We didn’t bend to a foreign will, the same as in 1814. We haven’t let anything change our way of life, our desires or our ideals…the same as in 1814.

Here in our community, part of the flame of tribute from Ground Zero is being transported up here to take part in the Battle of Plattsburgh ceremonies, forever linking these two events that have so shaped New York.

Perhaps there is something about this date that can remembered for the good of America. We took our most devastating hit, but also achieved our greatest victory on September 11th.

And we’re still going strong.

Not sure i follow you dave.

67 British people also died on sep 11, I,m not sure your post makes much sense in that context.

Thank You Tieler. My post wasn't directed at anyone in particular. It could have been anyone that we beat back from invading us. It could have been the French, the Spanish...that's not the point.

Yes, British died in 1814, but in 2001...so did Americans...and British...and Japanese...and Muslim...and Indian...and African...and Italian...and German...

The point is still the same. I was just trying to find something positive to tie in with the date, perhaps to lift a few spirits here and there. No offense intended.

Dave,

I've always found coincidence to me an amazing thing. I never knew about the "other" September 11th. Thanks for sharing that. Indeed you did raise at least one American spirit here. If no one else, I got the message that "That one turned out well." Thanks again!

In the continued thought of coincidence....

I was watching Good Morning America a few days ago and they commented that when the Pentagon was being built, it was during a time of war. The date of the ground breaking? September 11th. Interesting, no?

As to Red's comments: Get a grip man. He wasn't bashing the green and pleasant land of the UK. He was simply referencing a date in HISTORY. He wasn't diminishing the loss of the 67 British folk who died last year. They are mourned by us with our own.

Joby

(self edited because the last few words weren't really needed) Cheers...*wink*

Last edited:
Aw, Red's just insertin' his context. Yeah, it don't have anything t'do wit' Dave's context, as Dave's referrin' to a time when our countries were warrin'.

Dave, I didn't know that salient bit of history. That section of US history was altogether too scant, given what I recall of it. I guess they didn't want us rilin' up sensitive Brits.

We DID have a war wit' Britain. Twice. We play nice now. Honest. Peace?

dvnc

Thanks Dave

I understand what you were getting at now, and thanks for your level headed reply (and thanks for the support DVNC) as apposed to some of the more hysterical responces!!

Re: Thanks Dave

red indian said:
...and thanks for your level headed reply (and thanks for the support DVNC) as apposed to some of the more hysterical responces!!

As brought to you by your lovable landmine~! :p
Joby

Anytime, red. Happy t'keep it fun for ya, here!

What's New

4/27/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the webs largest clip store! Get details by clicking the C4S banners
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back