• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Triple Decker Sketchy Tablet Update!

Celtic_Emperor

3rd Level White Feather
(Try and say that five times fast. :p)

Here are the first three sketches I drew on my brand new wacom intuos3 tablet. :D

Because I wanted to try this puppy out rather than commit to larger projects right off the bat, these are just rough sketches and ideas I may expand upon later in more depth.

First picture I drew is of an original elf character of mine who is gently daydreaming....which is why the picture is intitled "Gentle Wonder".

The second picture is of Evangelion's Asuka Langley (looking a bit haggard) whose gotten up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, and poor Shinji is going to pay the price. ^^; Naturally this one is intitled "Wrong side of the Bed"

Third picture is pretty self-explainitory. Mischievous cat knocks over flower pots so dog gets in trouble. This one is intitled "The dog did It".

Artwork by and © Damien Jones

Asuka Langley, Shinji Ikari & Neon Genesis Evangelion © Hideki Ano

Attachments

• Gentle Wonder.JPG
    Gentle Wonder.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 58
  • Wrong side of the Bed.JPG
    Wrong side of the Bed.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 59
  • The dog did It.JPG
    The dog did It.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 69
Some cute sketches, Vlad! I like your cat character: pleasant off-hand cartoony style. And Auska does indeed look as though she's had a a rough night! It's interesting to see her not dressed for work (that is, without the Eva control hair-bands).

So, how do you like working with the Wacom tablet? I've considered investing in one myself.

That first one is beautiful! What program are you using?

Littlebighead said:
Some cute sketches, Vlad! I like your cat character: pleasant off-hand cartoony style. And Auska does indeed look as though she's had a a rough night! It's interesting to see her not dressed for work (that is, without the Eva control hair-bands).

So, how do you like working with the Wacom tablet? I've considered investing in one myself.

The cat I just drew as filler actually. I wanted to draw and upload at least 3 pictures at once, so I just drew that off the top of my head in like 45 seconds. Its much more doodle-ish than the other two, with the second one being more of an oekaki and the first being more of a refined sketch.

As for Asuka, I just decided to play on the fact that she can be moody for any reason at any time. Getting up on the wrong side of the bed would only make it worse I would think.

I love my wacom tablet! It doesn't everything I want it to do and the pen obeys just like a pencil would. I get that extra level of detail and precision that you can't get with a mouse (even a trackball mouse) without it being a cumbersome task.

The second and third pictures aren't a good example of how well a digital pen can simulate the real thing, since they're really rough sketche to begin with, but yeah, I'm really enjoying it thus far. I can't wait until I commit to drawing something I will color, so I can imploy my coloring skills.

You should invest in one, but I would say only if you are going to find yourself drawing digitally or you already do. I myself have primarily drawn traditionally up until now, and now its going to be evenly split between traditional and digital work and/or a mix of the two.

If you're going to be creating digital work, then I'd suggest you get one. You would be dissapointed, and it makes drawing digitally a hell of a lot easier and natural. :)

Last edited:
nessonite said:
That first one is beautiful! What program are you using?

Thank you. :) I really like how it came out, even though she wasn't going to be an elf (and the fact this was the first picture ever) and the hair style was a different. So I just decided to draw one of my several elf characters instead to sort of give some continuity to the other elves I have drawn.

I used painter 9, but this just as easily could have been done in any other program, as it had more to do with the pencil size and type I was using and the hardness setting. Well, that and my natural skill. :p I prefer painter by default now because its the one thats more customizable with this line of tablets and its the program I'll be using for coloring primarily. :)

Last edited:
Painter...Painter...is that the Corel program that comes with the Wacom tablets? My Graphire came with Painter Classic which I think is a cheaper version of the same program. I never used it much since at the time I was using Corel PhotoPaint and now I use Photoshop but I remember it being amazingly good at reproducing traditional mediums like watercolors.
/ramble
You really really nailed it for me with that first one. I can't get over how pretty she is. *puppy dog eyes* may I color her??

Yes, thats the same promo deal you probably saw. Painter 9 has that freaky looking 9-fingered hand as it's current logo. And yes, it is the best art program (in my opinion) at this point because of the tools it has and it's ability to simulate real mediums like watercolors, oils, pastels, etc. It also has the ability to mix colors just like real paint for blending, etc. It can do a hell of alot more too if you're willing to take the time to learn how.

As for coloring her, I'll have to get back to you on that. Because she's an original character of mine, and this is the first time I've drawn her, I have yet name her and decide what colors she's made up of. Once I've settled things and decided on a color scheme you can have a go at it. :)

Awww half the fun of someone (besides the artist) coloring something is seeing the different ways they have of seeing it. :p But nessie will reluctantly refrain....

I'm sure you can understand how it would be awkward for you to assume to color her, including skin color, etc (which has alot to do with personality and nuance), and then have me contradict that by correcting you with my release of the actual colors, which may be completely different. Its just an awkward situation, I think- coming up with a version of a character that is unknown, its premature is what it is. Time will sort this out.

If more about her had already been released it wouldn't have mattered. This is a unique situation, and beside that, you might very well really like other pictures that I'll come up with soon enough, maybe even better than this one, and will want to draw/color those. At least thats a possibility anyways.

Last edited:
Before I say anything, I'd like to note that anything containing Asuka wins in my book. So already, you win in extreme ways. XD

Lemme see here...I can see hints of Deedlit in the first, although you certainly didn't copy her. The little blush on each cheek is most cute, and the leafy wind (Is it leafy wind?) fits well with an elf, in tune with nature.

The second...well, in addition to being Asuka, and thus brining with it all the bonus points she entails, this one has an excellent use of emotion (And who better to showcase it than Asuka?).

And the third is simply awesome because of what it is. Nothing else can describe it. XD

Thank you. :)

She's not based on Deedlit or any character, she's completely original. If she reminds you of Deedlit somehow though, then thats good. :)

The leaves are on the tree, but its hard to tell with it being sketchy and all.

Asuka really does go through the motions, doesn't she? :D

As I said to LBH, the last one was just a random doodle because I wanted to draw at least three pictures instead of just two. If its still awesome anyway, then thats good to hear. :p

Oh they're on a tree? Im not sure why but I had seen that as a sheer cutain blowing in the breeze with some sort of leafy motiff to it. ^^

Yeah, because it was a sketch, I didn't think much of making it clear that the leaves were on the tree. But hey, if it gets other people thinking something else is happening, I'm not going to stop them from using their imaginations. Thats part of what art is about anyway, understanding what the artist wanted (and intentionally put in) and then seeing whatever else it is you see. :happy:

I like the middle one; It reminds me of my sister.... :rolleyes:

Here's another quick sketch of one of my elf characters. She's the same one in the first post. Rather than create a new thread for it, I'd just add this pic to it.

Like the other pics in this thread, this was drawn on a tablet.

"Blushing Beauty" I call this one. :happy:

Character and artwork by & © Damien Jones

Attachments

• Blushing Beauty.JPG
    Blushing Beauty.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 11
if you don't mind my saying so I like the look of the first one better...the shape of her face is more pleasing. =^_^=

Why would I mind? :happy: Its a completely different emotion. Her face isn't going to look the same every time if her jaw is more loose in this one and she's viewed at a slightly different angle and theres more "empty space" with this one because of the expression. I spent more time with the first one, but not much more. I'm much more interested at this point in drawing her with different expressions and eye/face/mouth mannerisms than pure absolute quality, being that these are just sketches anyway. When I get closer and closer to what I want things will be more refined. At least thats how I intend it. :)

Last edited:
What's New

5/20/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome forum and take a moment to say hello to us all!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back