• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Website Creation Savvy People: Help!

BlackestLily

3rd Level Green Feather
I'm looking to create some photo albums to display a lot of images on a website. The categories and pages they belong on will be separated. (ie: I don't want one GIANT photo album where the pictures are broken up into categories. I'm looking for something where I can stick, say, 10 images in an album, put it on one of their pages, then do it again for another page. So it has to be embedded in the website itself in the area I need it. No directing to some other outside page to view them.)

I've been running into a few issues in my search.

1. I'd like it to be either free or incredibly cheap. This is for a non-profit and they'd prefer to drop as little money as possible on this.

2. It has to work in the major browsers (internet explorer, safari, firefox, and google chrome).

3. It has to be very easy to use without a lot of programming and a lot of crazy tricks to make it work. (Eventually this site will be handed over to them, and they are coming at it with rudimentary web skills.)

Apparently one of the newest versions of IE is not very java happy. A lot of the web album displayers I've found OPERATE with java.

So...please HELP!! PLOZ!!

I'm looking to create some photo albums to display a lot of images on a website. The categories and pages they belong on will be separated. (ie: I don't want one GIANT photo album where the pictures are broken up into categories. I'm looking for something where I can stick, say, 10 images in an album, put it on one of their pages, then do it again for another page. So it has to be embedded in the website itself in the area I need it. No directing to some other outside page to view them.)

I've been running into a few issues in my search.

1. I'd like it to be either free or incredibly cheap. This is for a non-profit and they'd prefer to drop as little money as possible on this.

2. It has to work in the major browsers (internet explorer, safari, firefox, and google chrome).

3. It has to be very easy to use without a lot of programming and a lot of crazy tricks to make it work. (Eventually this site will be handed over to them, and they are coming at it with rudimentary web skills.)

Apparently one of the newest versions of IE is not very java happy. A lot of the web album displayers I've found OPERATE with java.

So...please HELP!! PLOZ!!

Check out www.wix.com. I believe it has Flash-based gallery options (which I know Flash can be a bit cumbersome to load for some users depending on their connection, and whether Java is working properly, I think). But the galleries are beautiful. I was considering doing sites for artists in conjunction with my arts organization, and the visual capabilities and appeal of Wix photo galleries was what hooked me. There are free and paid options, access to beautiful template galleries, and more. Plus Wix is good for regular site creation, not just art/photo galleries. If I can think of another site, I will post, but I did have a chance to play around with Wix and I liked it.

Check out www.wix.com. I believe it has Flash-based gallery options (which I know Flash can be a bit cumbersome to load for some users depending on their connection, and whether Java is working properly, I think). But the galleries are beautiful. I was considering doing sites for artists in conjunction with my arts organization, and the visual capabilities and appeal of Wix photo galleries was what hooked me. There are free and paid options, access to beautiful template galleries, and more. Plus Wix is good for regular site creation, not just art/photo galleries. If I can think of another site, I will post, but I did have a chance to play around with Wix and I liked it.

I've known people to create some VERY nice websites with wix before, so if you're hesitant about it, I really would give it a try. I heard it's very user friendly.

What I'm aiming for is something along the lines of things like: Simpleviewer, Galleriffic, etc. This that can be bundled with images and placed in an ALREADY existing website, but simple to use, cross-browser friendly with the major ones, and cheap cheap cheap.

I've known people to create some VERY nice websites with wix before, so if you're hesitant about it, I really would give it a try. I heard it's very user friendly.

What I'm aiming for is something along the lines of things like: Simpleviewer, Galleriffic, etc. This that can be bundled with images and placed in an ALREADY existing website, but simple to use, cross-browser friendly with the major ones, and cheap cheap cheap.

Oh, okay, I see what you mean :). Your description sounds like something I would like to incorporate onto my main site. I will try to run some searches, and check some tech reviews to see if anything interesting comes up (I may want to look into adding that feature to my own site as well).

I love it when you talk Tech!!! :jumpupanddown::redheart:

Oh, okay, I see what you mean :). Your description sounds like something I would like to incorporate onto my main site. I will try to run some searches, and check some tech reviews to see if anything interesting comes up (I may want to look into adding that feature to my own site as well).

I love it when you talk Tech!!! :jumpupanddown::redheart:

LOL I <3 talking to you in general! Tech just makes it...sexay.

I actually found one at one point where you downloaded the program, literally DRAGGED the images in, and pressed a button. It did all of the coding and loading into your site for you. Even a non-tech savvy person could handle that. Unfortunately: java! And a large number of people accessing their site use IE (including them. Honestly, I didn't think people used IE anymore with better options out there, but apparently I know nothing.)

If I could find another like that and it was java AND non-java friendly, as well as the drag, drop, and program all at once system, I would be one happy broad.

LOL I <3 talking to you in general! Tech just makes it...sexay.

I actually found one at one point where you downloaded the program, literally DRAGGED the images in, and pressed a button. It did all of the coding and loading into your site for you. Even a non-tech savvy person could handle that. Unfortunately: java! And a large number of people accessing their site use IE (including them. Honestly, I didn't think people used IE anymore with better options out there, but apparently I know nothing.)

If I could find another like that and it was java AND non-java friendly, as well as the drag, drop, and program all at once system, I would be one happy broad.

Dayuuum...that program sounded fucking sexy :jester:. I would adore those capabilities in a photo program. And as far as IE...seriously, anyone that isn't forced to use it needs to delete that shit immediately! :rowfull: I have contemplated quitting jobs where their agent web interfaces could only successfully run through IE browsers. My original company website I built was through Microsoft, and of course those hoes only want you to use IE to access site builder tools. As soon as my contract was up for the year, I closed that site down, and went with Google (which isn't awesome, but nothing is as bad as IE-based website building). IE is only good for downloading a new browser :jester:.

Can the company consider a non-IE friendly gallery option, and put down a message about the gallery running best in Firefox or Chrome (not IE)? Just because they are used to going through IE, doesn't mean they should cater to an option that doesn't work best for what the company's needs are (as well as the needs of the programmer helping to build their site, meaning you). Still, I'll keep a look out for that option, or ask a couple of programmers I know what options are available. You've got a major task on your hands trying to accommodate all of that, I hope a resolution is found quickly :).

Also, if you can drop a name of that program you mentioned, I will look into it. I don't have to give a fuck about whether my site/albums can be viewed in IE :D. A program like that would really open up some of my site plans (just hearing about it has sprouted new ideas that are normally too much work to undertake).

Dayuuum...that program sounded fucking sexy :jester:. I would adore those capabilities in a photo program. And as far as IE...seriously, anyone that isn't forced to use it needs to delete that shit immediately! :rowfull: I have contemplated quitting jobs where their agent web interfaces could only successfully run through IE browsers. My original company website I built was through Microsoft, and of course those hoes only want you to use IE to access site builder tools. As soon as my contract was up for the year, I closed that site down, and went with Google (which isn't awesome, but nothing is as bad as IE-based website building). IE is only good for downloading a new browser :jester:.

LOL Amen, girl. I was talking the other day to one of my web-knowledgeable friends. (He builds and programs websites for a living.) I was bitching about how they kept wanting everything I did to be IE compatible rather than telling people to be My-Website-Compatible. He said, and I quote, "Well, actually about 50% of the internet using population pretty much still goes through IE."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Can the company consider a non-IE friendly gallery option, and put down a message about the gallery running best in Firefox or Chrome (not IE)? Just because they are used to going through IE, doesn't mean they should cater to an option that doesn't work best for what the company's needs are (as well as the needs of the programmer helping to build their site, meaning you). Still, I'll keep a look out for that option, or ask a couple of programmers I know what options are available. You've got a major task on your hands trying to accommodate all of that, I hope a resolution is found quickly :).

At the moment, I have a note on the homepage to use any other browser than that anyway. I have a spry menu bar as my choice for linking option and discovered that it gets fucked up in IE. (And of course I couldn't exactly test this properly until the website went live because I was working on a Mac and IE is no longer an available download for it. Hasn't been for a long time. Annnnd for good reason.) I've actually asked one of the other lovely mods for help and he's provided me a solution that I have yet to do until I figure out this photo bullshit. And yes, this place wants the sun, moon and stars for a penny a piece. I'm doing my best to work with them...but lord is this annoying. ><

Also, if you can drop a name of that program you mentioned, I will look into it. I don't have to give a fuck about whether my site/albums can be viewed in IE :D. A program like that would really open up some of my site plans (just hearing about it has sprouted new ideas that are normally too much work to undertake).

As soon as I am back on my Mac, I can look that up for you. I ended up deleting it because it didn't work for what I needed, but I'm sure the program is still in the trashcan so I can send the name of it your way.

LOL Amen, girl. I was talking the other day to one of my web-knowledgeable friends. (He builds and programs websites for a living.) I was bitching about how they kept wanting everything I did to be IE compatible rather than telling people to be My-Website-Compatible. He said, and I quote, "Well, actually about 50% of the internet using population pretty much still goes through IE."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

LOLOLOL!! :rowfull: WTF is wrong with everybody! I wonder if it's because people are uneducated about the failures of IE...or if it's because site builders are predominantly building sites that cater better to IE. Either way, that sh*t needs to stop immediately :D.

At the moment, I have a note on the homepage to use any other browser than that anyway. I have a spry menu bar as my choice for linking option and discovered that it gets fucked up in IE. (And of course I couldn't exactly test this properly until the website went live because I was working on a Mac and IE is no longer an available download for it. Hasn't been for a long time. Annnnd for good reason.) I've actually asked one of the other lovely mods for help and he's provided me a solution that I have yet to do until I figure out this photo bullshit. And yes, this place wants the sun, moon and stars for a penny a piece. I'm doing my best to work with them...but lord is this annoying. ><

And that is my number one frustration in working with businesses. Their minds are harder to change about what works, and they expect miracles for pennies. It's difficult to get them to understand that some of their requests would require a far higher budget for a programmer, who still might not be able to get them exactly what they want, given the limitations they are imposing. They need some easy-to-comprehend data about IE's shortcomings, accompanied by some glimpses of other websites running the platform that you like best, that show off how beautiful the galleries are, while reinforcing the low price points they can stay at with your suggested programming solution. If they consider your work so far to be of value, they should also reasonably listen to your suggestions about the best program. Especially if they don't have the in-house expertise to dispute your suggestion, or resources to get a more expensive solution that might accommodate their desires. Can your best choice of programs be embedded into their site (if their site is accessed from a non-IE browser), or would it require changes to their existing site to be compatible? If it can run properly in the site, show it to them. They need to see it in action on their site, if you can do it, to drive the point home.

As soon as I am back on my Mac, I can look that up for you. I ended up deleting it because it didn't work for what I needed, but I'm sure the program is still in the trashcan so I can send the name of it your way.

Word! In the meantime, I will start planning some changes to my site architecture, so I will be ready to implement this easily to the site whenever you can get the info to me. Thanks, Lady! :)

Btw, your threads have actually made me start posting more again :D. I haven't posted this much in one day in a loooooong time :D

Word! In the meantime, I will start planning some changes to my site architecture, so I will be ready to implement this easily to the site whenever you can get the info to me. Thanks, Lady! :)

Btw, your threads have actually made me start posting more again :D. I haven't posted this much in one day in a loooooong time :D

While this isn't the one I was telling you about, I was fluffing around on SimpleViewer's website and came across this: http://juicebox.net/

You may want to check that out for what you need. It seems to be completely cross browser AND mobile device compatible and has a free version as well. I'd try it for myself but I have to leave for my evening job in about 20 minutes. No time to test it. :/

While this isn't the one I was telling you about, I was fluffing around on SimpleViewer's website and came across this: http://juicebox.net/

You may want to check that out for what you need. It seems to be completely cross browser AND mobile device compatible and has a free version as well. I'd try it for myself but I have to leave for my evening job in about 20 minutes. No time to test it. :/

Oh thank you thank you thank you! :D I am touring the features right now, and I dig the hell out of the capabilities it offers so far (enough to shell out the reasonable fee for licensing to access all the tools, and remove their branding). I am going to start playing with the free version to see how I like it. It looks really cool, and easy to use. Thanks again :D

Hot chicks talking tech......whew, I think it got hot in here!

I created a website from an illustrator file using Flash Catalyst, it pretty much lets you link up elements in the workspace according to their function so you don't have to program anything. The only issue is it's flash and can get bandwidth heavy. My friends told me to just use the CMS Joomla, with some tutorials it should be easy enough to make a gallery of albums and it should work on all browsers and smartphones/tablets as opposed to flash which is dying out.

What's New

5/9/2024
If you need to report a post, the report button is to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back