• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

What Are Your Labels?

AmandaBear

Verified
As I was driving home from Louisville this weekend, I thought of a good discussion for the forum. I'm curious to know the labels everyone slaps on themselves and how it helps to shape your identities? If they were all to be stripped away, what would be left underneath it all? Does your interests, religion, sexual orientation, fetishes, political affiliation, race, or ethnicity strongly define you as a person? There's no right or wrong answer to these questions, of course. Just a bit curious. It would be interesting if mankind could try to look at the souls of people instead of shrugging them off based on these things, but it is also a very human thing to want to herd with your own kind. Even here on this forum, despite our numerous differences, we still have one thing in common, ya know.
My own labels are probably a bit obvious:
Christian, liberal, lesbian, tickle enthusiast, female, Caucasian, short, fantasy buff, ancient history lover, American, Kentuckian, Hoosier, music lover, Xena geek, Hey!Say!JUMP fan...

Speak now or forever hold your peace. :)

I'm curious to know the labels everyone slaps on themselves and how it helps to shape your identities? If they were all to be stripped away, what would be left underneath it all?

I'm an asshole, through and through. Mainly because I never lie. I speak my mind, all the time.

You know how most people merely think something bad about someone and never say it and even pretend to like (or tolerate) that someone?

Yeah, I don't do that. I don't play games, I just am.

The only other label I'd assign myself for sure is pessimist/cynic and sarcastic (which is often close to cynic).

Basically I'm Jimmy McNulty only without all the sex. :jester:

Does your interests, religion, sexual orientation, fetishes, political affiliation, race, or ethnicity strongly define you as a person?

I don't think so, but others would probably say otherwise. I'd like to think changing my political affiliation, race, religion or whatever wouldn't make me a vastly different person.

(Not that I'm a good person, because I'm not, but at least I know who I am. :D)

It would be interesting if mankind could try to look at the souls of people instead of shrugging them off based on these things

That it would.

, but it is also a very human thing to want to herd with your own kind.

If you get along with said kind. For example: Two dominating personalities probably wouldn't get along.

But I know what you mean.

Awesome topic, by the way.

I don't have any labels, but I do have a sticker on my ass that says "Del Monte".

:dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Snail Shell

Hmmm. Let's see.............

Christian, my family, outgoing, liberal, accepting, fun, woman, music, pianist, part-time vocalist, sarcastic, lovable :p, football, esp. my beloved (and Slacker's beloved lol) Steelers, tickle fetishist, 80's lover, animal lover, aviation lover

I'm sure there are a few more but I can't think of them right now.

I despise labels. Labels are meant to identify what's inside canned food and the like, not for people, music, art, etc.

I despise labels. Labels are meant to identify what's inside canned food and the like, not for people, music, art, etc.

Hey now, just so you know I have a label on me that tells ya how many calories are in each serving. :p :jester:

Hey now, just so you know I have a label on me that tells ya how many calories are in each serving. :p :jester:

I never read those labels. If it looks good, I'll eat it.

Er.....wait, that didn't come out right.

Roman Catholic, objectivist, workaholic, dad, marine, D&D geek, fantasy geek, video game geek, RETRO video game geek, trivial information whore, professional wrestling fan, husband, stoic, polite, daydreamer, methodical, moody... that's all I can think of, right now. Awesome thread! :D

I'm curious to know the labels everyone slaps on themselves and how it helps to shape your identities?
Well, I look at it this way: I am who I am, no matter what I choose to call myself. For example, no matter if you just say I like tickling or actually call me a tickling-fetishist, I still get my jollies from it. ;)

So basically, I don't bother much with labeling. My identity is me. :) But I suppose I could list some of the terms I use for simplicity's sake in every-day life and conversations: Scandinavist, Hockey-nerd, Eurosceptic, Atheist/Agnostic (I can never really decide which one), historian and "social introvert" XD

If they were all to be stripped away, what would be left underneath it all? Does your interests, religion, sexual orientation, fetishes, political affiliation, race, or ethnicity strongly define you as a person?
Well, my labels seldom describe my personality, so I don't think it would be that much different if I took them away. Obviously my fetish, my political views, etc, somewhat define who I am, but I wouldn't exactly say that my personality relies on any one such trait. I kinda just... do my own thing. :)

I agree. I hate labels too. They're so confining and they don't truly represent who a person is.

But for the sake of this thread, hmm: Christian, Caucasian, female, American, Minnesotan, Greek mythology enthusiast, redneck, moderate, sword collector, bookworm, ancient history lover, introvert, Stargate geek.

Those labels are just the surface and they don't really tell you a whole lot about me besides the obvious. Until you dig beneath the surface, you won't know crap about me. Why am I a Christian? Why do I like Greek mythology? What books do I read? Etc.

Transvestite, Bisexual, Atheist, Agnostic, Junglist, DJ, Musician, Destroyer of Worlds, /d/eviant, Juggler, Unicyclist, Self-proclaimed Weirdo, Geek-but-not-chic.

Did I mention transvestite yet?

Transvestite, Bisexual, Atheist, Agnostic, Junglist, DJ, Musician, Destroyer of Worlds, /d/eviant, Juggler, Unicyclist, Self-proclaimed Weirdo, Geek-but-not-chic.

Did I mention transvestite yet?

Yay for TV's! One of my dear friends is one and does these awesome shows all of the time. He (and she when it's applicable) rocks!

And I so loved Tim Curry in RHPS.....:bubbleheart:

Labels are good because without them, the diversity in people would be overwhelming. But they also box people in and simplify that which can be really complex.

But also for the sake of the thread, here's how I identify: Friend, girlfriend, daughter, sister, queer or bisexual (depends on who asks), feminist, dog owner, teacher, liberal, New Yorker/Brooklynite, musician, activist.

Biker, atheist, middle-eastern flavoured dutch, skeptic, pragmatic and chaotic.

I don't need to have any labels in order to feel accepted or part of a group or kinship. I allow the strength of my character to do all the talking. Personally, I think labels are for the insecure.

I'm a liberal atheist, autistic scouser. So far that's all I've been labelled as in the past, being a scouser gets me the most grief.

I don't need to have any labels in order to feel accepted or part of a group or kinship. I allow the strength of my character to do all the talking. Personally, I think labels are for the insecure.

Neither do I, I kinda thought of it like a way to describe yourself using just words.

What's New

5/8/2024
The final Vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is now ongoing. Visit the GFA forum to vote!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back