• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Ye Olde Stocks

pseudonym

TMF Regular
Does anyone know about stocks in the old days - say in Colonial America?

What did the builders do about the fact that people have different ankle sizes? Did they build several stocks in different sizes? I can't imagine a "universal size" that would fit on everyone and permit no-one to escape.

We've been to a number of historic sites over the years that have old sets of stocks. There ARE different sizes out there. But, I've also seen one kind of stock that had a slip-through top secction with a varied width as you go up...almost triangular. The top section would fit down into the wider bottom piece until it stopped at a fairly tight fit. Then, pegs would be placed through from the front, holding them in place. We were told that they were from the early 1800's. I'd never heard of this kind before and only seen it the one time. So, I'm not sure how authentic they really were.

Ann

He got away!

I would imagine they would rethink the construction and design of stocks after the first "criminal" managed to get free from them shortly after being put into them.

TicklingDuo said:
We've been to a number of historic sites over the years that have old sets of stocks. There ARE different sizes out there. But, I've also seen one kind of stock that had a slip-through top secction with a varied width as you go up...almost triangular. The top section would fit down into the wider bottom piece until it stopped at a fairly tight fit. Then, pegs would be placed through from the front, holding them in place. We were told that they were from the early 1800's. I'd never heard of this kind before and only seen it the one time. So, I'm not sure how authentic they really were.

Ann

Hmmm. I'm having trouble picturing this. Wouldn't it have to have a lot of peg holes? Was the bottom part two-ply?

Where was this? If it's an historical site maybe they have a webpage.

... iys in the padding...

Just a thought...
Last year, with my wifes encouragement, I built us a set of stocks.When I got to cutting the holes I wondered about this very question.I measured the wifes ankles but I wondered how they did it.Variable sizing was a must (and I might need it myself someday). My solution was to use square foam window insulation(2x2) folded inside the half moons then I took some old bandanas and laid them across the stocks, folded the ends under for neatness, and stapled along the crescent on the front and the back of the stocks. When I did the second side I pulled the bandana just a little snug and when they are empty the holes are very small. But that stuff compresses to almost nothing and fills up a small space very well. They are comfortably snug around her ankles and she hasnt come close to getting out of them... yet.When I did this I thought about waiting to get some leather or something for the covering but the bandanas work great. Both they and the insulation breathe, no discomfort just immobilization and that is what I wanted. I have to tell you, I felt like a freakin' genius the first time I saw her in them.The gleam in her eye when she calls them(or me) diabolical is worth the Sunday I spent on them.
Since this was such a simple and inexpensive solution it gets my vote for what early stocks builders might have done.Using something else for foam insulation of course.
Spotman C

pseudonym said:
Hmmm. I'm having trouble picturing this. Wouldn't it have to have a lot of peg holes? Was the bottom part two-ply?

Where was this? If it's an historical site maybe they have a webpage.

Yes, it was two layers on the bottom, held together by a metal wrap brace. The peg holes were in three staggered columns of 4 or 5 holes each. This was at an old mill town in PA where we went on a number of class trips when I was in grade school. I remember it because I ended up IN those stocks with a couple of my classmates taking advantage during one of those trips. lol I've looked, but not found a site for them. If I ever find one, I'll post the link.

Ann

From what I've heard I kinda figure they didn't much care if the stocks were comfortable or not. After all, the stocks were for punishment, not comfort. People were left in the stocks for several hours or even several days.

TicklingDuo said:

Yes, it was two layers on the bottom, held together by a metal wrap brace. The peg holes were in three staggered columns of 4 or 5 holes each. This was at an old mill town in PA where we went on a number of class trips when I was in grade school. I remember it because I ended up IN those stocks with a couple of my classmates taking advantage during one of those trips. lol I've looked, but not found a site for them. If I ever find one, I'll post the link.
Ann

I live in Pennsylvania, and there are definitely mill towns around here. In fact, I live in one, but there aren't any stocks around, at least not in public places.

Could you tell me the name of the town? It might be near me.

LOL Well, we're talking 30 odd years ago here. But, if I remember right, the place was called Old Mill Village...or something like that.

Ann

Door 44 Productions
What's New

4/28/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday Eve at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back