• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

A Gardener's notes on the Drought

PiedPiper

4th Level Red Feather
This has been extremely tough. Six weeks ago I was convinced that this year's garden was the best ever in my lifetime,... at least in terms of intense space efficiency.

Not so much anymore. In the last 4-5 weeks, we've gotten less than 10% of our normal rainfall. I haven't had to mow the lawn since May 9, but I devoutly carry 5-10 gallons of water per day to my remote 100 sq ft raised beds. That got me to wondering, so I did some calculations.

A gallon of water equates to roughly one-half inch of rainfall on four square feet of ground,.. to achieve normal rainfall results, I'd have to lug 50 gallons per week, so I guess I've been roughly on target.

Mulching is a necessity in weather like this. And for some plants, shade, as well. I'll still get lots of tomatoes and peppers and squash, etc, albeit somewhat smaller. Really scary seeing what this is meaning to the corn belt farmers,.... prices for a lot of stuff will be going up. $50 billion is the estimated cost of the drought thus far.

FOX NEWS is reporting............................

historic drought to bring higher food prices.

I'm just glad we do not control the weather. We would have it so screwed up (duh!) and be going to war over yet another set of issues. I have been going a month between yard mowings/scrapings and the folks here with gardens are also either watering or watching all that hard work and $$ die on the vine. We did get rain all around the Atlanta area last week that amounted to a couple of inches. Yeah, whatever potential saving in produce from lower gasoline costs will surely "evaporate" with this uber-drought. The $upply and demand gods will be served, just no fresh 'maters.

It looks like that you're getting some thunderstorms out your way.

I feel for the corn growers. This is massive. Locally, we just got some much needed rain. I'm keeping the garden alive, but a good three day storm would help.

My family operates a timber farm and while we won't be hit nearly as hard as typical farmers, this still sucks. A lot of the re-plants we put in are suffering. A large portion of the land is recovering from floods two years ago, and now with this things are being stressed even more. Throw in a late freeze next year and we're going to be looking at a lot of damage.

Johnny, I hope it will not come to that. Good luck with it. We are currently getting the first decent rain in six weeks,... hopefully not too late for my small vegetable plots,..... normally they produce like crazy, but thus far this season they've been crippled at the most critical juncture. We'll see...

All dry spells are a big drag. But this one's truly scary. The average temperature this summer must be at least 5 or 10 degrees above normal. We were supposed to get t-storms last night. Never happened. Supposed to get rain tomorrow. Maybe yes, maybe no.

I'm certain that agribusiness is slavering in anticipation of seventies-style shortages and corresponding price-gouging.

You should be receiving some needed rain out there. However what I have been reading about the drought in the nations breadbasket, we will all have to pay for it next year. Enjoy the fruits off your labor.

Yeah, Carl,.... three days in a row, now. Hopefully not too late. Tomatoes have really suffered, even in spite of my diligent watering,.... I'll know in a couple of days.

And I don't think I'll be buying corn flakes for a while,.....

What's New

5/22/2024
Check out Clips4Sale for more tickling clips of all sorts then anyplace else!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back