• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Airport security, common sense, and racial profiling

UnclStevel

TMF Expert
On a recent trip to California, a friend and myself discussed U.S. airport security, common sense, and airport screening procedures. She insisted that the rights of the individual came before all else, and that "racial profiling" was morally wrong, un-American, and just lead to further divisions among the many different people who live here. She could see no logical reason for profiling people other than to be racist. I, on the other hand, argued that profiling was an obvious move, and common sense. We ended our debate, her feeling that I was a heartless racist, and I feeling that she was an idealist hippie. :) The following email is one that was forwarded to me by a friend. I'm curious to see what your reaction is to this:

------------
To ensure we Americans never offend anyone --
particularly fanatics intent on killing us -- airport screeners
are not allowed to profile people. They will, however,
continue to perform random searches of 80-year-old women, little
kids, airline pilots with proper identification, Secret
Service agents who are members of the President's security
detail, and 85-year old Congressmen with metal hips.

Let's pause a moment and take the following test...

In 1972, 11 Israeli athletes were killed at the
Munich Olympics by:
(a) Grandma Moses;
(b) The night cleaning crew at Rockefeller Center;
(c) Invaders from Mars; or
(d) Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages
of 17 and 40.

In 1979, the U.S. embassy in Iran was taken over by:

(a) Norwegians from the Lichen Herbarium of the
University of Oslo;
(b) Elvis;
(c) A tour bus full of 80-year-old women; or
of 17 and 40.

In 1983, the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut was
blown up by:
(a) A pizza delivery boy;
(b) Crazed feminists complaining that having to
throw a grenade
beyond its own burst radius in basic training was an
unfair
and sexist job requirement;
(c) Geraldo Rivera making up for a slow news day; or

of 17 and 40.

In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by:
(a) Luca Brazzi, for not being given a part in
'Godfather 2';
(b) The Tooth Fairy;
(c) Butch and Sundance, who had a few sticks of
dynamite left over
from their train mission; or,
of 17 and 40.

In 1993, the World Trade Center was bombed by:
(a) The entire cast of 'Cats';
(b) Martha Stewart;
(c) Cheese-crazed tourists from Wisconsin; or
of 17 and 40.

In 1998, the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania
were bombed by:
(a) Mr. Rogers;
(b) Hillary, to distract attention from Wild Bill's
women problems;
(c) The World Wrestling Federation to promote its
next villain:
'Mustapha the Merciless'; or
of 17 and 40.

On 9/11/01, four airliners were hijacked and
destroyed by:
(a) Bugs Bunny, Wile E. Coyote, Daffy Duck, and
Elmer Fudd.
(b) The US Supreme Court,
(c) Barney; or
of 17 and 40.

Hmmm...nope, ain't no patterns here. Darned if I
know why we should ever even think about profiling.

---------------------

What do you think?

Steve

I don't think the idea of racial profiling is a problem.When there is a crime committed by a person who is black,screening oriental people isn't very effective in finding the perpetrator.If the KKK does something,searching NAACP offices for the suspect will do little.
Profiling doesn't condemn a whole race...it just acknowledges that the suspects fit a certain profile.Many criminals do fit certain profiles and these profiles are used to capture them.If race happens to be part of the profile,why not use it as an investigative tool?
If the suspect was a bald guy,you can bet I would be getting the onceover,and I don't see a problem with that.
Criminal investigations have to comply with certain legal and constitutional boundaries.Offending someone isn't one of them,as there is no constitutional right not to be offended,despite what some would have you believe.

Bald?

NEVER mess with bald guys...we're already pissed off because we have no hair...why aggravate us further? And, btw, we never tire of those clever Mr Clean comparisions, much in the same way that tall people love the one about "How's the air up there?" ;) Q

I think the point of racial profiling was missed in this thread. Racial profiling isn't looking for black guys when a black person has commited a crime, it's when police, or security officers search, or are suspicious of, a black person without reason.

Here's the problem with racial profiling in the airports. These were smart people (not for what they did, but how they went about doing it). They planned this attack for years. Do you really think that if they were to try and do something like this again, that the people they send are going to fit the racial profile? No. There are white and black Muslims. Not only that, have you ever heard of make-up? If they can make Eddie Murphy look like an old Jewish man, they can certainly come up with a decent disguise.

guitman69 said:
If they can make Eddie Murphy look like an old Jewish man, they can certainly come up with a decent disguise.

LOL.

It's certainly true that profiling isn't a guarantee of anything. Clearly, if (intelligent) people know it's being done, it can be as much of a problem as it is a solution. It's also clear that it cannot be fully eliminated from the equation. (I don't even think that's possible.) I would just hope that the race is neither the only nor the primary criteria used for causing a lot of people undue hardship in the form of law enforcement.

When a police officer has to be on the lookout for a certain person,
he or she uses a description.Race is often part of that description.
With the short period of time in an airport to watch for possible culprits,ones whose race he or she knows,it's just plain stupid not to pay more attention to members of that race.
As far as airports,the last I heard was that EVERYONE was being searched,or did I miss something?The authorities are obviously aware that people don't have to be middle eastern to bomb or hijack a plane.
Up to now,it is the middle easterners (males especially) who are the guilty parties.If this changes,adjustments will have to be made,but the main culprit,THE WORLD OVER,is the middle eastern male who can be recognized by the physical traits of his race.

Please be advised that being bald has its advantages...I have saved alot of money over the years cutting what's left of my own hair.Wahl makes a pretty good hairclipper,with plastic length attachments,too lol.

To answer sharks question everybody is searched at the metal detectors, but at the gates is where the racial profiling comes into play. A week ago Thursday I traveled from Cleveland to Vegas for Vacation. I arrived at the airport 2 hours early just to be safe. Having not traveled since 9-11 I wasn't sure what to expect. When I arrived I had a relatively easy time getting throuhg security and getting to my gate. Security was strict and proper and I was pretty satisfied that I would be safe on this flight. When I arrived at the gate there was few people there yet for the flight but 2 guys i particular caught my eye. These men were of Arab heritage and probably in their late 20s. Both men had walkmans on and were dressed kind of shabily. One guys hair was long and he had a goatee that needed trim the other was clean shaven with longer hair. I was immediatly suspicious of these 2 and kept my eye on them for the remaining 2 hours till takeoff. These men positioned themselves in the two seats closest to the door leading to the gangway. When it came time to board people began getting on the plane when these men got up to board they were immediatly stopped and searched. They were made to remove their shoes their coats open all their bags etc. These men were carrying some sort of electrical equipment in their bags and were not permitted to board the plane. I was very happy to see that these men were singled out because of there arab heritage who knows what they had planned. The questions I have from all of this is: Why would anybody be against racial profiling in this situation when time and time again people of Arab heritage are constantly commiting terrorist activities? Why would these people still be trying to do this when they know they are being racially profiled? As far as I am concerned search everybody regardless of their race. I also must admit that if some civil rights group succeeds in stoping racial profiling in this situation I will never fly again.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ok. If we are going to start racial profiling for people of middle easteen dessent, then we should also start profiling for people of Irish dessent. There have been just as many acts of terrorism done by members of the IRA as there has been by fundamentalist Muslims.

And who next. The Oklahoma City bombing was done by a couple of clean cut white guys.

Hey Guitman

Hey guitman, did you see what happened on 9-11 or do you need me to inform you who are main enemy is at this point in time? I seem to have forgoten the date when the last jet was crashed into a building in the US by an Irish guy. Can you refresh my memory? Come to think of it I have also forgoten that date when that Irish guy blew up a US embassy. Can you remind me of that? Oh ya, what about that Irish guy who is trying to rally his Irish cohorts into killing all Americans. Can you tell me what his name was? While your at it, can you tell me the last news article you read that stated that anybody over there in Ireland gave a rats fat ass about hijacking, blowing up, or killing American people or interests? I'll wait. I hope I am there the day you are getting on a plane with 2 suspicious looking arab guys that aren't searched. Your right we can't and shouldn't exclude anybody from suspision but give me a break. You can have your choice the guy jabbing you with the stick or the one shoving the red hot poker up your ass you pick which one you are gonna pay more attention to.:eek:

Last edited:
While I don't think that giving a second look to those who fit the profile of the terrorists we've already dealt with is a problem, we should use caution.

I say this for two reasons.

My first concern is this...Racial profiling can become a true racist behaviour. We saw after 9/11 that many people who "fit the profile" were attacked simply because they "fit the profile".

Do I have a problem with THAT? I sure do. First off, the true profile and the ones thought to be true by people (who were either already racist or too angry to stop and think) were not the same in many cases...leading to attacks on people only THOUGHT to be islamic. Second, even if they WERE islamic, that doesn't make them terrorists.

My second concern is this...Not ALL of the terrorists we're dealing with (even in this group) will look like that profile. We've already heard reports of fanatics changing their appearance to try and blend in. While the profile can give us a lead on who to watch, we may forget to watch those who don't fit the profile. That, I think, can be a big problem.

Fine. Use the profile as a tool. Just don't use it as blinders.

Ann

AIRPORT SECURITY

back in january we picked up my son from the airport. while i circled the airport my wife went in. she had to go through security 3 time (it's a long story. they lost my 10y.o.son) she was wearing nylons, and high heels. the guy there made her remove her shoes all 3 times, and even examined her feet on the 3rd time! i can't blame him, she has great legs, and feet, lol. i think she found a fellow foot/tickphile.
steve

Irisn descent

Talons made one point,so here's another.Irish means a nationality,not a race.I want to meet the person who can look at any crowd of white people and pick out the Irish ones.Since they are Caucasian,you will not be able to pick them out.Middle eastern ers can be potentially picked out because they have a racially prominent physical appearance.
It's sad that this has to be explained.
The nationality argument works the other way too.You cannot tell an Egyptian from a Libyan because you are dealing with nationality.
However,they can be identified as possibly middle eastern because of the racially prominent physical traits.
Understand now?

And what the hell does Oklahoma City have to do with this at all?

May or may not be a bit off topic, but www.seanbaby.com wrote an article that centers on the hysteria since 9/11 and mentions airport secruit and racial profiling in there.

I don't have much of an opinion on the subject matter (not an passionate one, anyway), but his article made me laugh. Hard.

Here's a link to his story

The whole point I was making was that there are more terrorists than in the world than the ones responsible for 9/11, and they could easily take this opportunity to strike while we're looking for people who fit a certain profile.

For an example, look at the Anthrax mailings shortly after the bombings. Even though the FBI said it was probably a loan nut (most likely white) who had a grudge against the media, everyone still said it HAD to be Osama again.

It is well known there are plenty of terrorists out there that are not
middle eastern.They are always under scrutiny.This last bunch of terrorist acts was done by a SPECIFIC group who has stated they would do more.Nobody stopped looking for the others,and it would be stupid to be threatened by a SPECIFIC group and not concentrate on that group.
As far as everyone thinking the anthrax was bin laden,maybe everyone in the media did.This was the perfect opportunity to pull this shit off and escape blame.However,it is quite often that some copycat does things right after a major crime,and the police and FBI know this.If they had not been considering a different motive,the guy with the anthrax would still be out.It was possibly bin laden's group,
but could have been others,so you can concentrate on one group and still be watching out for other possibilities.
That's what racial profiling does.It concentrates on certain known perpetrators as experiences dictate,but does not ignore other possibilities.

profiling not the answer

Given the obviously disastrous misuse of a jetliner, security should be wary of EVERYONE. If it takes twice as long at the airport, then so be it. Until such time as people are herded through an escalator past a scanning screen (like in the film "The Running Man"), it should be considered a necessary part of air travel. Given the apparent ease with which the attacks were carried out, I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. by the time they're at the airport, it's too late. Perhaps profiling should have been done earlier, like when the student visas were issued, or maybe the flight school that didn't seem to catch on when they asked just to learn to fly (not takeoff or land, the two most crucial parts of aviation) could have used profiling, or at least common sense.
maybe it's time to modify the old mom'n'pop store sign "In GOD we trust, all others pay cash" to "In GOD We trust, all others will be searched" and hang it up in the airports.

This would be a good time to round up EVERYBODY who is in this country illegally and ship them home. Time also for some realistic border controls. Manpower would be no problem. The INS could hire all of the folks put out of work by NAFTA-shafta.

Strelnikov

Racial Profiling un-American?You are obviously not too well informed as to our crime fighting techniques and "drug war" tactics.Racial profiling has been used for years in catching interstate drug traffickers and couriers.

The biggest problem I see with profiling is the use of the bullshit forfeiture laws.Numerous sources have reported that 80% of all items taken through forfeiture are the property of honest Americans who fit a profile.The laws are written up in such a way that the authorities involved just say "You can always sue us".Most people can't afford the cost and effort,and just eat the loss.

New report from the front: My wife returned from a business trip today. She wasn't singled out for special attention - even kept her shoes on. Rightly so, as there hasn't yet been a middle aged White female Methodist terrorist. However, she saw an old couple searched because the man's metal replacement hip joint set off the metal detector. They also searched a family of four: Mom, Dad, and two little boys too young to be in school. All that accomplished was to slow down the line, with no gain in safety. Looks like political correctness won out over rationality.

Strelnikov

What's New

5/6/2024
Check out Clips4Sale for the webs largest one-stop fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back