• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Anything but Windows 8 or 10!

BlasterMaster

1st Level Yellow Feather
So, my old desktop PC (let's just call it ye ol'faithful) has been very good to me but after a little over six years it's begun to have, er, technical difficulties. I've been scrapping and saving over five years in order to afford a fast and powerful laptop but I really Really REALLY don't want Windows 8 or Windows 10. I'm hoping someone can help me out by telling me what version of Linux (or any other operating system) looks almost exactly like Windows XP, has free updates provided for the software edition purchased, and doesn't require a programmers knowledge whatsoever to use.

Windows 10 has been out for what... a week? Not even two. How can you hate it already? And, out of curiosity, why do you want an OS that looks 15 years old?

Ubuntu is often recommended for Linux newcomers who are used to Windows. You can test an Ubuntu Live CD or USB drive on your PC without actually installing it. OSDisc.com has a wide selection of Ubuntu discs and USB drives: https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/ubuntu

Consumer Linux distros like Ubuntu provide free updates, but Linux is not suitable for most video games or certain Windows software like Adobe Photoshop. (Some Windows software, like Portable Apps, will run fine with Linux.)

Windows 10 has been out for what... a week? Not even two. How can you hate it already?

Because I heard a rumor (and Cryptic7 apparently confirmed this for me) that the User Agreement for Windows 10 forces you to give your consent to allow the Government to spy on your PC in real time.

And, out of curiosity, why do you want an OS that looks 15 years old?

Honestly? It's mostly due to me liking how the destop, folders, and such looked and worked. I was born with incredibly bad eyesight (even with glasses it's difficult sometimes) and thus switching to something completely different and brand new rather than what I'm used to seeing is an arduous task for me.

Ubuntu is often recommended for Linux newcomers who are used to Windows. You can test an Ubuntu Live CD or USB drive on your PC without actually installing it. OSDisc.com has a wide selection of Ubuntu discs and USB drives: https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/ubuntu

Does the Ubuntu desktop and folder design look like Windows 8 or 10 and if so can you make it look like Windows XP instead?

Consumer Linux distros like Ubuntu provide free updates, but Linux is not suitable for most video games or certain Windows software like Adobe Photoshop. (Some Windows software, like Portable Apps, will run fine with Linux.)

Hmmm...would Skype not work on it or is Skype a dated software by now?

I like windows 7. It's not touchscreen designed W8 or government spyware W10 and it seems to run fine and give no real errors for me.

EDIT: Supposedly you can disable W10's spying but it requires many settings and a website I believe.

Does the Ubuntu desktop and folder design look like Windows 8 or 10 and if so can you make it look like Windows XP instead?

It can be made to resemble Windows XP: http://www.itworld.com/article/2698552/make-ubuntu-14-04-look-like-windows-xp.html
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/04/windows-xp-theme-lubuntu

Skype might work on it through "Wine," an app that can run many Windows programs on Linux. Portable Skype would probably work this way.

Last edited:
I really Really REALLY don't want Windows 8 or Windows 10. I'm hoping someone can help me out by telling me what version of Linux (or any other operating system) looks almost exactly like Windows XP, has free updates provided for the software edition purchased, and doesn't require a programmers knowledge whatsoever to use.

Windows XP is rather archaic. The look and feel is rarely emulated closely, so if you want a linux system that *really* looks like windows xp, then you'd either have to:
  • Pick some obscure linux distribution without guarantee for support
  • Install the theme yourself
While not really requiring any *programming* knowledge, both would probably need some sort of linux knowledge (especially the latter) I would assume that getting used to a new user interface would be over with much sooner than acquiring the necessary skills to replicate one you're used to.

Valerie did post some helpful links, so check them out. The simpler guide appears to use the Lubuntu distribution.

Because I heard a rumor (and Cryptic7 apparently confirmed this for me) that the User Agreement for Windows 10 forces you to give your consent to allow the Government to spy on your PC in real time.

The government? Haven't heard that before. There are a lot of unsourced claims about the Windows 10 user agreements/privacy policy, or at least ones I haven't been able to find in the official agreements. That said, you could probably find and interpret shady things in most user agreements.

Honestly? It's mostly due to me liking how the destop, folders, and such looked and worked. I was born with incredibly bad eyesight (even with glasses it's difficult sometimes) and thus switching to something completely different and brand new rather than what I'm used to seeing is an arduous task for me.

Do you mean the concepts of a start menu and a file manager, or are you looking to have even identical icons?

Skype works. There is a native Skype port, no need for Wine. While it may not be available from official repositories, you can simply download a linux version from their website.

You must realize that there will be many many more differences going from windows to linux than there will be going from windows xp to windows 8/10. It's best to go into this with an open mind to new things and not expect anything to work the same way it did in older windows versions. I'd like to suggest these distributions for a beginner:
  • Ubuntu
  • Linux Mint
Ubuntu is the default go-to distribution for most newcomers and you will find a very helpful community there.
However, they've been rather artistic with their user interfaces lately which may be a bit daunting. Linux Mint derives from Ubuntu and provides a more traditional approach, which may be more in line with your expectations.

What's New

6/17/2024
Visit Door 44 Productions for ticklign clips! Details in the D44 box below.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back