• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

As always!

..Glamorous..

Verified
Topic for my interpersonal communications opinion is..

Describe several habits of poor listening.

(easy right!? LOL)

diverted eye contact, fidgeting, inappropriate expression/gesturing durning conversation, inappropriate comment interjection/non-sequitor comments to name a few. Speech class was good to me in college.

It is characteristic of a poor listener that he or she is already planning what to say next while you are still talking.

It is characteristic of a poor listener that he or she is already planning what to say next while you are still talking.

Definitely. Not only planning what to say next, but beginning to say it before the other person is done talking. My dad does this all the time and it frustrates the entire family.

Talking in circles in response - it tells you they didn't really listen to what you
asked or said.

Definitely. Not only planning what to say next, but beginning to say it before the other person is done talking. My dad does this all the time and it frustrates the entire family.

I do that alot too. :blush2:

I do that alot too. :blush2:

I still love ya. ;) Besides, I'm guilty of it too. I think it is possible to interrupt too soon and yet still listen at the same time. It just doesn't give the appearance that you are, if that makes any sense.

Criticizing the speaker or the delivery is one thing. I think that bad listeners often miss the message because they are too focused on the speaker or how the message is delieverd. Bad listeners tend to miss what is being said because of who is saying it.

Eye contact was already mentioned so I would kind of like to add on to that faking attention. I know a lot of people who can fake listening and make it look like they are paying attention but really they are just daydreaming. Body language and eye contact are important but they can easily be faked.

I think sometimes it is letting emotions block the subject. We all have biases when listening to someone talk about a subject, but I think good listening involves listening without a bias. Bad listening tends to ignore what the speaker is saying because of previously held ideas and opinions about the subject.

A big one that annoys me is rushing the speaker and making him feel that he's wasting the listener's time. It annoys me to see people who look at their watch or flip open their cell phone during a conversation. I have a friend who has a nervous tick about checking his phone all the time and it just always makes people feel like they are unimportant or they are imposing on his time.

Another big one is trying to finishing or complete the speakers thoughts. I think that shows a lack of respect for the speaker and really shows you aren't listening.

The biggest one for me is when people try to out do the speaker or one up them. It kind of shows a disrespect for the speaker by saying that your experience is more important or more valid.

I think for me bad listening is best summarized as a lack of respect for the speaker. Whether it is time, interupting, not giving eye contact, bad body language or whatever else I think it all boils down to a lack of respect for the person speaking. It is probably not in a conscious thing most of the time, but it still shows a lack of respect and devaluing the conversation.

What's New

5/15/2024
The TMF Links forum keeps you updated on tickling sites all around the web.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back