• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Canada's Animal Rights Shame

theshire

2nd Level Orange Feather
Very soon, the barbarity that is the seal hunt will begin once again in Canada. During this horrifically inhumane "hunting season", thousands upon thousands of baby seals will be slaughtered.

As this report from the Animal Law Coalition demonstrates, this hunt constitutes a sin against all that breathes:

- The Humane Society of the United States reports, "Ninety-five percent of the seals culled over the past five years were pups between just 12 days and 12 weeks of age, many of which had not yet eaten their first solid meal or learned to swim." They were too little to escape from the hunters.

- The International Fund for Animal Welfare invited a team of veterinarians to watch the massacre of the seals. These veterinarians have reported this so-called "hunt" fails to comply with Canadian law. They believe 43% of these beautiful animals were probably skinned alive. HSUS reports, "Video evidence clearly shows sealers routinely dragging conscious pups across the ice with boathooks, shooting seals and leaving them to suffer in agony" as they are then skinned alive and tossed back into the water.

- Animal welfare groups have reportedly documented more than 700 alleged violations of the Marine Mammal Regulations under the Fisheries Act that govern the seal hunt. HSUS reports these violations include "sealers failing to ensure the seals were dead prior to hooking and dragging them, and sealers clubbing seals on the face, jaw and neck instead of the skull."

What is perhaps more astonishing than the inhumanity displayed by those who torture and murder baby seals is that every year, the Canadian government gives this obscenity the green light, despite opposition from the majority of its citizens and from other countries. In fact, Canadian Coast Guard ships break the ice so that sealing ships can get through to begin the torture.

And for what? Sealing does nothing good for the Canadian economy whatsoever. It brings in no more than a few million dollars each year to Canada. More than 90% of sealers live in Newfoundland; only about 2% of their income is from seals. Sealing accounts for less than one-tenth of 1% of Newfoundland's economy. What's more, the practice will deplete the seal population by 50-70% over the next fifteen years, and also devastates cod supplies, since seals eat predators of cod such as squid, and if there are more squid, there is less cod.

Canadians pride themselves on being a civilised nation (generally, their sense of moral superiority derives from simply pointing out that they are not Americans). So how, in the 21st century, can the government still approve of something like this?

Come on, Canada; you're supposed to know better.

We have no control over those regulations... and people in those regions depend on it for their OWN survival. Go hug a tree or join PETA or Greenpeace or something :rolleyes:

Cruelty to animals is unacceptable and perpetrators must be punished.
If that is avoided, there is nothing wrong with hunting seals.

Cruelty to animals is unacceptable and perpetrators must be punished.
If that is avoided, there is nothing wrong with hunting seals.

Exactly... of course I don't condone such cruelty and/or torture. But who's going to oversee this, even if the laws do change?

It happens in every nation, regardless of the rules/regulations that are put in place for hunting in general. I don't like it, of course I don't.... but don't wag your finger like this is some kind of great Canadian atrocity, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Exactly... of course I don't condone such cruelty and/or torture. But who's going to oversee this, even if the laws do change?

It happens in every nation, regardless of the rules/regulations that are put in place for hunting in general. I don't like it, of course I don't.... but don't wag your finger like this is some kind of great Canadian atrocity, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Agreed.

Thank you ---

I was just going to --- and will ---- bump my own thread just so this topic gets more attention,
I'm SOOOO glad you posted this

That article is perfectly well put ----

It's totally unnecessary and disgustingly cruel. And NOW there's additonal reason NOT to ---- as if unnecessary brutality wasn't enough of a reason to stop ---- I think birthing rates are too far down.

Yes it's a massive blemish on whatever group of people would allow it ----

And no it's not in keeping with what I think of when I envision Canadian law. :(

A tragedy...yes..but until the US and Canada and the UK band together there will be no stopping those that prey on the defenseless seal for profit.....

An enforceable international solution must be arrived at...

A tragedy...yes..but until the US and Canada and the UK band together there will be no stopping those that prey on the defenseless seal for profit.....
I think that animal welfare laws must be strictly upheld. But "prey on the defenseless seal"?
Many other species are hunted. What makes seals stand out?

I think that animal welfare laws must be strictly upheld. But "prey on the defenseless seal"?

Cus' they're just so damn adorable.

Who knows.

As far as the government goes; I'm sure they've got bigger fish to fry. Like building more Tim Hortons. :evileye:

Pardon me for answering here, I'm sure Venray has more information,

but I'm guessing this has gotten attention b/c they're not "necessary" for food or anything else though their fur is taken --- but who buys that, now, really? Their "meat" too ---- Hardly.
As the article says these brutes profit very little from this extreme cruelty.

It's just so very obvious an abuse ---- like the live skinning of cats & dogs & other creatures in China :xlime: just for their fur ---- marketed as "fake fur" no less --- :facepalm: ---- they're so unnecessarily barbaric it's on the map.

This also stands out because one doesn't associate this with Canada's peaceful reputation, in addition to the extraordinary cruelty of beating baby seals to death for pretty much no reason.

And even if it was a necessity for daily life, in this century? There's no excuse for inflicting such pain. For that matter there's no excuse for OUR industry in the United States ---- at least kill anything you feel you need to eat ---- very quickly and humanely.... Not yet done, and that's a horror too.
:(

Babbles explains it perfectly......

Ever read "To Kill a Mockingbird" ?

Their "meat" too ---- Hardly.
I've eaten quite a bit of seal. It's very nice. Difficult to get hold of lately, though.

Again: I'm dead against cruelty to animals (obviously), but I still fail to see what makes people more upset over hunting seal than anything else.

And with regards to hunting in general: In the western world today, hunting has very little to do with gathering food. We rely on a far more grotesque industry for our meat.

Cruelty to animals = bad.

Hunting seals (for Inuit in Canada) = a cultural and spiritual practice, and a means of survival.

Condemning an entire practice and those who support it just because there are those who abuse it = misguided and infuriating.

Why don't we condemn alcohol, and all those who partake, because there are those who abuse it? Because people know better. Besides, look how prohibition worked out.

I'm with leafstk. Fight cruelty, not seal hunting itself.

Is this relevant to the discussion?

jon5.GIF

It's come up before --- It may appear to be related, but it isn't.

This has nothing to do with the Inuit, or with anyone's culture ----

Just straightforward, extreme cruelty for marginal profit.

It's a total abomination.

I think a good comparison is the cruelty shown to dolphins and whales by Japan.

However, a key difference is that many breeds of dolphin and whale are either endangered or becoming that way due to hunting.

I like the differing opinions on this as this is a hot topic for discussion, even amongst Canadians. The way I see it is this: once I get the chance to see all of the clear cut facts (unbiased, if possible) behind the seal hunt then I will determine for myself whether it's cruelty or a necessity or what have you. There seems to be a lot of misinformation and assumption on this topic and given the cute nature of the seals, as CrystalLight has stated, one can't feel anything but sorry for the seals and angry for the hunters and the gov't for not interceding.

I don't see our government having a lot of moral authority as is, but to sacrifice the remains of whatever authority letting the hunt occur if it wasn't necessary strikes me as not a level the gov't will stoop to. I feel IMO that there is more to this... Canada has always been a nation that tries to be neutral, like a person being liked by all. History has dictated that Canada's relationship with it's First Nations has never been fully copasetic to the extent, not sure if people recognize, that Canada does not fully recognize our First Nations as full Canadian citizens, including the Inuit. I also recall in my readings that because of their not being recognized as citizens and in order to appease them, (for tradition/heritage reasons I think?) the gov't and First Nations (not sure which ones mind you) have some sort of agreement in regards to hunting out of season for various animals.

Not sure if the above was relevant in the grand scheme as everyone will generate their own opinion, myself included, but to willfully sanction such an act without legitimate merit would damage the Canadian image to the international community; an act I just don't see occurring given that Canadians' image of government is one of greed and power so such deed reflects negatively. What do I know though... this is just one man's opinion. :)

Big Dog --- There is no misunderstanding and I'm not operating under false assumptions.

Clear-cut facts ---- This is just business, and probably too much sadistic pleasure. Nothing more.
I KEEP the link in my signature. http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/seal_hunt/
Humane Society.

This is the other thread; http://www.ticklingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2614313#post2614313
which includes a VIDEO, IF you want to witness this sick sh*t for yourself.

This has nothing to do with culture, it's just greed & sadism.

Even more sadism --- there's hardly any profit.

These brutes aren't even smart enough to dress up like Inuit :rolleyes: to pretend they might have something vaguely akin to a cultural excuse
---- which wouldn't cut it anyway ---- to painfully slaughter baby seals,
endangered or not. And it may be that the seals on their way to that category too. :(

Like I said throughout, everyone has their own opinion... I feel, I think, etc. I respect yours, nothing more nothing less.

Like I said throughout, everyone has their own opinion... I feel, I think, etc. I respect yours, nothing more nothing less.

I appreciate that, that's ideal, except it's not a matter of opinion ---
there are facts, data is presented here.

Not my opinion. Documented facts
which are straightforward, no room for misinterpretation. There's hardly any profit, even if that were adequate excuse ----

There's certainly nothing "cultural" about this.

No Inuits.

(And even if there were, would such cruelty be justified simply for "tradition"?
*THAT would be a matter of opinion ---- but that's not even the case here.)

These guys are acting for profit alone, or maybe the joy of killing with barbed sticks ---- Not even a big profit.

Straight facts ---- See and read for yourself.

You know who also kills seals?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5mJta-fGw3o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5mJta-fGw3o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Save the polar bears, but also protect the seals? Those will be some hungry polar bears. Maybe we can send them some tofu.

You know who also kills seals?

Save the polar bears, but also protect the seals? Those will be some hungry polar bears. Maybe we can send them some tofu.

Sigh. There's always one underage.... If you can't grasp the itty bitty difference in biology and other assorted circumstances here you need more remedial help than Jane Goodall could ever provide in one thread.

And if you're going to continue being a cliche'd smartass kindly share your scintillating insights with the Silly Stuff forum.

Sigh. There's always one underage.... If you can't grasp the itty bitty difference in biology and other assorted circumstances here you need more remedial help than Jane Goodall could ever provide in one thread.

And if you're going to continue being a cliche'd smartass kindly share your scintillating insights with the Silly Stuff forum.

You know, this thread is really starting to piss me off. Shouldn't this be in the P and R forum? Go argue all you like over there, please :rolleyes:

What's New

5/31/2024
The TMF Chat Room is always busy. Stop in and see who is about!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back