• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

computer question - this ones a toughy

tickledorange

2nd Level Orange Feather
OK, here's what happened:

I have this hard drive from a laptop (Toshiba Satellite A15-S129) and I want to put it in a new computer. My options:

1) Get a computer just like it and put the hard drive back in

2)Get a new computer and put the old hard drive in it. This frightens me because I'd prob have to format the hard drive and lose all the stuff I have.

3)Get any new XP computer and somehow recover the data off of it. I don't know if there's such a way, but so far, this is my favorite option because it's the least expensive, but i don't know how to go about starting such a project (what to buy)

So, which should i do and what's the best way to do it? Any help is appreciated.

--Stacy

I'd go with option 3. Transfering hard drive data isn't too hard to do (I believe there are ways of using a USB or such to do a direct transfer). If worse comes to wose you could back up important files by using CD-Rs or even storing them in E-Mail accounts via sending attached files to yourself.

But, the computer that the hard drive was in doesn't work anymore (sorry, forgot to say that), so the CD-R option is ruled out. Besides, i don't think you can't e-mail huge 10MB files to yourself.

There are computer shops that could take the info. on the old harddrive (temporarily plugged into one of their units) and transfer it to your new system or to disk. My sister-in-law has done this for people before too. However, in doing this, you'll want to be sure of a couple of things. First is that your old system was virus free, so you aren't transferring infected material. Second is that you aren't transferring old system files that would interfere with the running of your new system...is - some old windows system files would mess up how current versions of windows function.

I'd thik that your best option is to have them transfer everything to disk. Then, you can run a complete virus scan of the disk(s), weed out anything that may be infected and transfer only clean material. I'm not sure what you have on your system that you want to transfer. But, choosing only certain types of files (clips, pics, documents, specific programs, etc.) would be one way to avoid moving unwanted files into your new system. Then, you get to keep what you want and not foul your new system with stuff you don't need/want.

Good luck!

Ann

Thanks, I think thats what I'm going to end up doing, Ann. Its just a bunch of movie, picture, music files anyway. Besides, they're both going to have the same OS (windows XP). I'll go check with Gateway or CompUSA or somewhere like that. I might have them transfer it to data CDs since they're bigger.

tickledorange said:
OK, here's what happened:

I have this hard drive from a laptop (Toshiba Satellite A15-S129) and I want to put it in a new computer. My options:

1) Get a computer just like it and put the hard drive back in

2)Get a new computer and put the old hard drive in it. This frightens me because I'd prob have to format the hard drive and lose all the stuff I have.

3)Get any new XP computer and somehow recover the data off of it. I don't know if there's such a way, but so far, this is my favorite option because it's the least expensive, but i don't know how to go about starting such a project (what to buy)

So, which should i do and what's the best way to do it? Any help is appreciated.

--Stacy

Can I suggest getting one of these:

http://www.directusbstore.com/cnb/s...catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=22

Basically a USB converter for your hard drive. Stick the old drive in there, attach it to any USB port and it SHOULD show up as just another disk. As wraith said I'd go for option 3, buy a new PC and copy the data over. As for what to get... any chance of narrowing the field a little? :D Ummm, budget, general purpose of machine (home office, games etc) and whether you're after a desktop or laptop would be ideal. Ah, and just out of curiosity, what version of Windows was the laptop running before it died?

Oh, and sorry the link above is to a UK site, didn't quite have time to find a US source but any decent PC store should stock them.

I had Win XP home on the old one and I'm getting a Win XP home for the new one. But I think I know what youre talking about, we might 'ave one at work.
I'm gonna go ahead and get a new desktop with the same OS, but a diff brand. If I cant figure out what to do, there's a few comp stores that have offered to help with the data transfer onto CD-R Data.

What's New

4/28/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday Eve at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back