• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Computer Question

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
Myriads, Jeff

My apologies if this post may be a continuation of a subject I had discussed previously.

I wanted to post a different version of a computer question, to get feedback.

Hope such is okay.

I posted how in June I bought a certified pre owned desktop.

I was just looking for information about how long such a computer might last.

While I know that lifespan of a computer can vary.

This article I came across said something like.

"Certified Pre owned computers have their drives wiped clean and can "last and last"

My last computer that died in June lasted five years, with a brief hiatus inbetween, and a large repair last year. I bought that one new in April 2015.

The computer guy who sold me this one said "Such is about average"

Back to the certified pre owned computer question.

Has anyone ever experienced where a certified pre owned has lasted them several years?

Inbetween the last computer which lasted five years and this one.

Someone gave me a computer they said was sold to them from Amazon that was supposedly "new"

The sound system got corrupted very quickly, could not be fixed, and the guy that helps me with my computers said that computer is supposedly "Dead and cannot be used"

Anyhow, just wanted some info from people about how long they might have had a certified pre owned computer last.

Thanks.

Most of my laptops were refurbished or whatever and they tend to last me like 4 to 5 years.

Thanks, guys.

Maybe its me that keeps thinking.

"Oh, the minute I have any money I have to get a Certified pre owned laptop ASAP"

I have two dead computers sitting in my closet because I dont want to do anything with them due to it costing money, and that I have all my personal information on them.

When I get a chance, 'I'm going to call the guy who installed this one, and ask him what he thinks I should do with them.

There are many factors involved with maintaining and keeping a computer running. I'm seeing to conflicting remarks here, laptops and desktops inherently have different capabilities for airflow i.e. dust accumulation. Do you perform any maintenance? If you're unsure what that might be, the answer is likely no (you're not alone, many people don't bother). This alone can lead to bogged down performance, as components heat up more quickly, and throttle themselves as a mechanism for self-preservation (preventing overheating/burning).

The other hand is the constant emergence of new technology. 4-5 years is an eternity in the tech world, and you may just find that your hardware won't have the recommended specifications to run things that are performance intensive.

Tl;dr The answer to your question as you may have guessed is: it depends.

Computers are 'dead' for a number of reasons, but most commonly what they're referring to is the hard drive (or SSD) which contains all of your data. This is replaceable, even in most laptops. If you additionally keep backups (on the cloud/separate drives) you can be back up and running fairly quickly.

To answer your question.

Last year the same tech who sold me this one, cleaned out what he called a "bunch of crap" on the computer that just died.

Since I just got this computer in June, and the guy said he had just cleaned it out and tuned it up before he sold it to me. nothing should be due to be cleaned out yet.

It has antivirus software and a top adware blocker on it.

Hopefully the experiences of the people who made the previous posts about the lifespans of their computer is what will happen with to me with this one as well.

My daughter bought a computer for me, on-line, for Christmas about 2 years ago. When I got it, I told her to send it back It was refurbished, but I distrust such things; knew nothing about its history, or who was selling it. Yes, my present computer has its problems, but was given to me by my oldest daughter, and I knew its history (don't ask about what it's doing now). I guess if you're savy enough with computers, a refurbished one may be a good buy (I think especially if bought through one of the majors, i.e. Apple, Dell,etc.).

I dont remember if I posted this, but someone bought me a computer on Amazon that they c;laimed was new as a present

When that happened, a friend helped me hook up that computer and put the other one that just died on me aside.

The Amazon computer never worked right, and then, we reconnected the computer that just died in, and put the Amazon computer aside.

Before I bought this one, I tried putting back the Amazon computer, but it did not seem to work at all , the sound system was frozen where no sound came out, and the guy told me it was dead.
Thus, leading to this one.

I know I may be rambling, sorry, but I'm very tired.

Hopefully this computer will last me\ at least a long while so I wont have to worry about any of that.

When the time comes to replace this one, my first choice would be a certified pre owned laptop, but we will see what happens then.

What's New

5/18/2024
The vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is still open! Vote in the GFA forum today!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back