• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Does Pedro Martinez Belong In The Hall Of Fame?

If He Never Pitches Again, Does Pedro Martinez Belong In The Hall of Fame

• Yes, definitely, his career record and ERA are good enough

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No, he doesnt have enough wins

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Maybe-You could make an argument either way.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
As baseball fans know, Pedro Martinez is not pitching this year.

Also, as baseball fans know, 300 wins is usually an automatic enterance into the Hall of Fame.

Pedro Martinez currently has a record of 219-100, with a 2.93 career ERA, and 3,154 strikeouts.

While Pedro is far short of the 300 wins usually needed for "automatic" Hall of Fame Enshrinement, he has a sub 3 career ERA, and over 3,000 strikeouts.

So, my question is: If, for example, Pedro never pitches again, are his numbers good enough for the Hall of Fame?

My personal answer to this question is yes. Even though he is far short of 300 wins, it would seem to be a short change if the Hall kept out a guy who is 119 games over 500 for his career, with over 3,000 strikeouts, and a sub career 3 ERA.

Thoughts?

Mitch

Yup

I think Pedro is a no brainer if ya look at his numbers Mitch, i totally agree.....The 300 win arguement doesnt apply here , much like Sandy Koufax!!

Thanks, scott, and I agree with you. In Pedro's case, the stats warrant his election, even though he wont have 300 wins when he would be voted on.

Mitch

Yes, he was excellent enough for a sufficient number of years to be elected to the Hall of Fame.

Thanks, mils, and us. I happen to agree. The question in my mind is whether he has enough wins, but I see it the way you both do.

Mitch

Martinez

Does he belong in the Hall of Fame? No.

Does he belong in the Hall of Pretty Good, which is what the Hall of Fame has become? Yes.

As baseball fans know, Pedro Martinez is not pitching this year.

Also, as baseball fans know, 300 wins is usually an automatic enterance into the Hall of Fame.

Pedro Martinez currently has a record of 219-100, with a 2.93 career ERA, and 3,154 strikeouts.

While Pedro is far short of the 300 wins usually needed for "automatic" Hall of Fame Enshrinement, he has a sub 3 career ERA, and over 3,000 strikeouts.

So, my question is: If, for example, Pedro never pitches again, are his numbers good enough for the Hall of Fame?

My personal answer to this question is yes. Even though he is far short of 300 wins, it would seem to be a short change if the Hall kept out a guy who is 119 games over 500 for his career, with over 3,000 strikeouts, and a sub career 3 ERA.

Thoughts?

Mitch

Being under 300 has NOTHING to do with the discussion. :facepalm:

If that is the case, then no other pitcher after Glavine and Big Unit will ever go into the Hall of Fame.

I mean look at baseball history and the Hall of Fame, there are many pitchers that haven't won 300 games that have gone into the Hall of Fame.

Scottg pointed out Koufax, but Drysdale went into the Hall of Fame in 1984 with a 209-166 lifetime mark. Bob Gibson was inducted in the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1981 and had a lifetime record of 251-174. Robin Roberts went into the Hall of Fame in 1976 with 286 wins.

My point is 300 wins didn't make it automatic. If you were great, it was recognized. The fact that Drysdale won only 209 and Pedro Martinez won 10 more games and lost 66 less gives you the answer to your question. Take a closer look at history...you will find that Pedro is an automatic without asking if his numbers were good enough.

What makes Pedro an automatic is that is he is a 3 time Cy Young award winner. He DOMINATED Major League Baseball from 1997-2005. Led the league in ERA FIVE times including four of those times in the American League where there is a DH. Struck out an average of 10 batters per 9 innings. Walked only 2.4 batters per nine innings.

If there is a no-brainer in baseball today it is Pedro Martinez.

If you REALLY know baseball, you know that.

hmmmm

Pedro Martinez pretty good.............I'm still tryin to wrap my mind around that one!!!!

Okay, 4u, thank you for that. I do consider that I know baseball. I was just questioning is all.

Another pitcher who didnt win 300 will be in the Hall too, but because of the wins and saves. John Smoltz, who, as we know, is the only pitcher in history to win 200 games, and save 150. His ERA is a so-so 3.33, but, the 200 wins, combined with 150 saves, and nearly 3,100 strikeouts, should make him a first ballot candidate.

Also, for the record, I dont keep every Hall of Famers career record off the top of my head. I know most of the Braves Hall of Famers records, as well as a few others, like Seaver, Ryan, Sutton, etc. The rest I would have to look up. I'm knowledgable about baseball, but not an encyclopedia of baseball.

Mitch

Okay, 4u, thank you for that. I do consider that I know baseball. I was just questioning is all.

Another pitcher who didnt win 300 will be in the Hall too, but because of the wins and saves. John Smoltz, who, as we know, is the only pitcher in history to win 200 games, and save 150. His ERA is a so-so 3.33, but, the 200 wins, combined with 150 saves, and nearly 3,100 strikeouts, should make him a first ballot candidate.

Also, for the record, I dont keep every Hall of Famers career record off the top of my head. I know most of the Braves Hall of Famers records, as well as a few others, like Seaver, Ryan, Sutton, etc. The rest I would have to look up. I'm knowledgable about baseball, but not an encyclopedia of baseball.

Mitch

I get the sense that the encyclopedia crack was a shot a me. That is fine. I consider it a compliment.

You say you know baseball...then this was really a question that need not be asked. If you know baseball...you know that 300 is not a requirement. Especially when you consider Drysdale went in with a record that DOESN'T even come close to Pedro Martinez.

That is like asking should Henry Aaron go into the Hall of Fame as a Brave or a Milwaukee Brewer.

If I asked that question...my knowledge of the game would be questioned. You asking if Pedro is a Hall of Famer was a question that need not be asked.

What's New

6/17/2024
Visit Door 44 Productions for ticklign clips! Details in the D44 box below.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back