• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

How things got their names

the_Baron

1st Level Orange Feather
do you know of the story behind some product or other identifiable name?

for example,

Subaru takes its name from a constellation. thats why it shows stars in its logo.

We all know that Bee Gees stands for the brothers gibb.

Or how about the group Three Dog Night, whose name derives from summer weather in australia.

Dodgers.

Have you ever wondered how a baseball team got that name?

In the 1890's the Brooklyn National League Base Ball Team played its home games in Washington Park, in Brooklyn. Many trolley lines converged there. To get into the park safely, fans had to evade the trolley cars. (In fact, being run over by a trolley killed many people then, as being hit by a car does today.)

These Brooklyn base ball [then spelled as two words] fans were derisively called "Trolley Dodgers" by the fans of the team that played in Manhattan, whose name I won't mention. The team, in perverse pride, took this name for themselves, too, the "Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers." It was shortened to "Brooklyn Dodgers" by the beginning of the 20th century. :D

i like that one Mils.

my father, a season ticket holder to weekend games back in the early 1950's, also mentioned that to me so many years ago.

i wasn't certain it was correct - but it seems it is!

Cool story, Mils :D

Maple Leafs... nevermind :rolleyes:

70's Soul/Funk group The Commodores got their name by flipping open a dictionary and letting a finger randomly land on a word, and that word would be their name. Lionel Richey, the group's leader, later said, "Do you realize how close we came to being called The Commodes?"

What's New

5/12/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday evening at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back